Sign in to follow this  
Gromit

Advice for a first campaign?

So now that I have OFF up and running, I'm going to jump right in and start a campaign. I figure by not practicing first with some of the sircraft that it might better simulate the inexperience of a new pilot in the war.

Should I start out in 1916 (or is that a requirement...I haven't even looked), or later in the war? Any personal preferences? I plan on flying for the Kaiser...

I want to make this as realistic as possible given the constraints of the sim. IOW, no HUD, no radar, etc.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Edited by Gromit

So now that I have OFF up and running, I'm going to jump right in and start a campaign. I figure by not practicing first with some of the sircraft that it might better simulate the inexperience of a new pilot in the war.

Should I start out in 1916 (or is that a requirement...I haven't even looked), or later in the war? Any personal preferences? I plan on flying for the Kaiser...

I want to make this as realistic as possible given the constraints of the sim. IOW, no HUD, no radar, etc.

Of course, as soon a I posted that, I see this thread. LOL

hi gromit,

you have maybe the best gift of us all here, because you start as a rookie pilot and you are still at the beginning of the learning curve. most people here begin new campaigns beeing already veterans. you can enjoy the thrill and fear only a real rookie has.

my advice. treat him really well and use him like you could really lose your life. like you only have ONE chance and ONE precious life and then never again. then you will die soon, as rookies really did, or learn and survive.

i would suggest you start fall 1916 for jasta2 if flying german

Is this the same Gromit that I remember from those "old RB days"?

You've landed at the right 'drome in anycase. ;>)

Regards,

Royce

Is this the same Gromit that I remember from those "old RB days"?

You've landed at the right 'drome in anycase. ;>)

Regards,

Royce

It is. I also used to moderate Sierra's RB boards back then, too.. . :salute:

Hi Gromit, best of luck with the campaign, i started 1915 RFC, not much action but plenty of time to get use to the crate your going to fly and you will need all the time you can because once the action starts you don't last long.Make sure you keep us informed of you progress with some combat reports from time to time... drinks.gif

Welcome again, Gromit (you're on the OFF Pilots Maps now).

Good to see another pilot flying for "der Kaiser and ze fazzerland"!

For the very first pilot, I would also recommend 1916, as Creaghorn said, and also Jasta 2.

They get the Albatros D.I in September 1916; the first really good fighter with two guns,

easy to fly, rugged, and other than the later Albs, it has stabile wings for a good dive.

Air activity will only just be getting more, and it's still light - medium.

Often you will be hunting two-seaters. Jasta 6 will get the Albatros D.I end of September,

they are a bit further down south. The area Lens - Douai - Arras - Cambrai - St. Quentin

should be the most active, while it's quieter in Alsace.

No use to try chronological, and fly the whole war - no way to survive that long, believe me.

You should try the Halberstadt later, and the Fokker E III even later than that.

So, fall 1916 would get you prepared for more action early 1917.

Edited by Olham

I started flying for Jasta 1 c.September 1916, with the Halberstadt (good machine), and as my pilots die I just 'roll' their replacement, and bring them in a week or two after the demise of the previous pilot. Just lost my best DiDT chap today (and campaign date 26 April 1917) and so his replacement will likely arrive for beginning May. Best thing about the sim is basically you can start a campaign when you most desire. Have fun!

Cheers,

Balders

drinks.gif

Here's a suggestion akin to RL experiences

Start out in Free Flight flying a Halberstadt as if in flight traing

When you're used to it, start a 1916 campaign in an Alb DII or DIII

Go into the heart of flanders for some action

And whatever you choose, please report your experiences

...and welcome to OFF M8!!!

Gromit, from one former RAF 209 bomber puke to another, "Welcome to the OFF skies!" You are going to love this sim Sir, whether flying scout or B/R. It's all fantastic.

Cheers!

Lou

Hi Gromit and welcome,

I can welcome you at Jasta 2 at 16 September 1916, we're flying the Albatros D.I and our opponents fly DH2s, Scouts, FE2bs, Nieups 11,16,17 and of course the medal wining BE2c!! Activity is low to medium because of the Battle of Somme but still "comfortable". If you'd like to enlist with us, we are currently stationed at Bertincourt.

itifonhom

It is. I also used to moderate Sierra's RB boards back then, too.. . :salute:

Gromit! Man has it been a long time! I don't know if you remember me at all, but I remember you from the old boards. Welcome back. You're really going to love this sim - I feel like I'm 15 or 16 and playing RBII all over again.

S!

Ask the Kaiser for a Spitfire!

About time you showed up Gromit!

Cheers,

shredward

RAF-Gromit, moderator from the Dynamix RB forum in 2000, Strange I always had in my mind you were British, in 2008 I went to OSU and of course I got the Pistol Pete and Eskimo Joe, Sweaters and shirts. 

Man that RB forum had the best layout I ever saw, still can remember once you are replying from your work   :cool:     answering a question for me.

Welcome at OFF3 , you will see a lot of old RB players around here!!!!  

Edited by Dutch_P47M

Gromit, I am relatively new as well and started in 1916 Jasta 2. It has been fun thus far.

RAF-Gromit, moderator from the Dynamix RB forum in 2000, Strange I always had in my mind you were British, in 2008 I went to OSU and of course I got the Pistol Pete and Eskimo Joe, Sweaters and shirts. 

Man that RB forum had the best layout I ever saw, still can remember once you are replying from your work   :cool:     answering a question for me.

Welcome at OFF3 , you will see a lot of old RB players around here!!!!   

Good to hear from all of you...

I had played the initial phases of OFF sporadically, but never really got around to buying P3 until this month. Wish I had done it earlier. :)

Thought I was British, huh? :) Sorry to disappoint, but I did spend three years stationed at RAF Lakenheath in Suffolk between 2003-2006. I loved going to IWM-Duxford and just spending hours there. Wish they had more of a WWI section than they do...I also wish Doug Champlin had never broke up his collection he had at Falcon Field in Mesa, Arizona. *sigh* Now there were some impressive aircraft!

Welcome aboard, Gromit! I remember you from the RB2/3D forum over on Delphi. But it's been so long and you're new here, that you still have to buy the drinks drinks.gif .

You've already gotten everybody else's $0.02 on this subject, but if I give you mine you'll have an even dollar so here goes.....

First off, you need to read "ACM for Dogs" grin.gif .

Second, I recommend starting in 2Q-3Q 1917. In that era, most planes are rather easy to fly so you can worry more about getting used to the speeds, ranges, and angles of OFF than in just keeping your plane flying. Once you get used to the ebb and flow of OFF battles, you'll be ready to go to 1916 or 1918. I don't recommend starting in 1916 because 1) there's not much happening and 2) most of the planes are difficult to fly. I also don't recommend starting in 1918 because there are so many planes it's overwhelming unless you've got a feel for combat.