Sign in to follow this  
Stiffy

Finally got my wings!

Ispired by other users ideas I've decided that each time I get a medal in game I will buy myself a replica....

But first things first, cant be a pilot without my wings! I love ebay :)

DSCF5519.jpg

DSCF5526.jpg

Next up will be my DFC!

It does seem like a really fun thing to do. Your wings look very nice. 11 years ago I got a blue max on ebay. I didn't deserve it then and I don't now, hehe.

It does seem like a really fun thing to do. Your wings look very nice. 11 years ago I got a blue max on ebay. I didn't deserve it then and I don't now, hehe.

I assume the PLM was a replica? If not, how much was an original?

Gromit, here is my Blue Max. It cost me $10 plus shipping back in '98. It is of course a replica. I'm glad I bought it then.

post-45792-12555363098083.jpg

I found a website whre if you buy a replica Blue Max for $6,500.00, they'll throw in a Luger P.08 for free blink.gif

p08trio.jpg

Gromit, here is my Blue Max. It cost me $10 plus shipping back in '98. It is of course a replica. I'm glad I bought it then.

I've already got one, too. I bought mine at the Champlin Fighter Museum in Mesa Arizona back in 1986. The ribbon is long gone, but I still have the medal. :) The museum had an actual PLM in the collection. On many a visit I plotted how to successfully abscond with it...LOL.

I got my wings some time ago as well. One set of original AFC pilot's wings, and an original set of RFC pilot's wings. The AFC wings were VERY expensive, RFC less so. Also bought a couple of new replica AFC pilot's wings from the Australian War Memorial.

Wow Steve!

Quite impresive pieces you got there, originals and really expensive too, I'm sure the AFC is rather rare, isn't it?

Thanks for sharing this amazing foto, itifonhom

Wow Steve!

Quite impresive pieces you got there, originals and really expensive too, I'm sure the AFC is rather rare, isn't it?

Thanks for sharing this amazing foto, itifonhom

I got a hold of this quite by chance as my "contact" at I. S. Wright's (medal, memorabilia, coin, banknote etc dealer in Australia) KNEW I would be interested in this, so he intercepted it and contacted me (happily!). I had already asked for a set, but he told me the best he could do was the RFC wings, so I bought those. A month later, he told me he had something for me, and I was suitably impressed.

I also have an orignal British Empire medal issued to an Aussie RNAS chap, and this one was a bonus...I really was mainly interested in his Service Record that accompanied it. Mike Westrop bought this for me from eBay, and trusted me to repay him.

I have been chasing a set (or one) AFC and RFC shoulder flashes (anyone know where I can get them?) and occasionally sift through the usual places.

Recieved my 1918 Distinguished Flying Cross today. Unusual to see how shiny they are new!... I'll get a decent patina on it eventually.

DSCF5540.jpg

DSCF5542.jpg

Stiffy,

Yes, the horizontal bars on the ribbon identify this as a ww1 award. Sometime after, the ribbon bars were changed to a diagonal pattern.

Wear it to the mess a few times (you'll have to put up with a bit of ribbing I'm afraid), but a couple of ales spilled on her, and she will develop the desired patina.

Edited by Check Six

Stiffy, is it still 1916 where you live? I really like the period look to your pic surroundings. Very cool.

Edited by Rickitycrate

Congrats Stiffy on receiving your DFC. Now then, what I want to see is the rest of this office of yours Sir. All those teasers in your pics have me very curious: goggles, tunic, old phone, and newspapers spread about. C'mon, show us the whole affair. smile.gif

Check Six, beautiful original wings there Sir.

Rickitycrate, nice PLM. Looks a lot like the one Olham just won.

BTW, I posted this in another thread this morning. Here is the original Médaille Militaire I just purchased this AM, (which when it arrives it will reside next to the original and nearly perfect French and Belgian examples of the Croix de Guerre With Palm already in my collection):

WWI_Medaille_Militaire.jpg

Cheers!

Lou

Congrats Stiffy on receiving your DFC. Now then, what I want to see is the rest of this office of yours Sir. All those teasers in your pics have me very curious: goggles, tunic, old phone, and newspapers spread about. C'mon, show us the whole affair. smile.gif

Lou

Thanks Lou,

I'm very happy with my "find" of the AFC wings.

Very pretty medal you got yourself there. When you get YOUR set together, please remember to post it here for us all to admire (of course, alongside your CdG France and CdG Belgium please). Might I suggest that Stiffy's "Office" isn't what you are seeing here. Perhaps these are promotional pics displayed by the medal sellers to place them in a "period" setting to increase their realism to entice you to purchase the item, and these are the pics he has posted. Indeed, you have not YET received your medal, and yet have a advertisement photo of it.

I hope I'm wrong. I'd LOVE to see Stiffy's "Office" if it has period telephones, newspapers and the like scattered about.

Edited by Check Six

Well, I should not be shocked to learn it is indeed Stiffy's abode. One thing I appreciate by meeting my fellow OFFer's is that I am not the queer, weird nut case that is alone with his appreciation for the things that encompass our shared interest. Thank you gents and best of health to you all.

Edited by Rickitycrate

Thanks Lou,

I'm very happy with my "find" of the AFC wings.

Very pretty medal you got yourself there. When you get YOUR set together, please remember to post it here for us all to admire (of course, alongside your CdG France and CdG Belgium please). Might I suggest that Stiffy's "Office" isn't what you are seeing here. Perhaps these are promotional pics displayed by the medal sellers to place them in a "period" setting to increase their realism to entice you to purchase the item, and these are the pics he has posted. Indeed, you have not YET received your medal, and yet have a advertisement photo of it.

I hope I'm wrong. I'd LOVE to see Stiffy's "Office" if it has period telephones, newspapers and the like scattered about.

Or perhaps I really do live in 1916.... grin.gif

DSCF5544.jpg

And for the record the telephone works! bit crackly though and try explaining to a call center that you cant press 1 when you have a turn dial!

Rickitycrate, zatt iss not a nicely arranged 1916 display Stiffy made - zatt is

England today - land of ze crumpetz! Zey use such phones ant old busses,

zey even like to drive on ze wrong side of ze street, just to be shockink!

Sheer madness over zere!!

I have been zere, ant I tell you: zey are ALL like zatt!! Monty Python!!!

Wow, Jarhead, those Luger are really beautiful! If you have some spare money...

Rickitycrate, zatt iss not a nicely arranged 1916 display Stiffy made - zatt is

England today - land of ze crumpetz! Zey use such phones ant old busses,

zey even like to drive on ze wrong side of ze street, just to be shockink!

Sheer madness over zere!!

I have been zere, ant I tell you: zey are ALL like zatt!! Monty Python!!!

If that is so, well then I'm thinking of moving. My people came from there so maybe they would let me back in. Doubtfull if they knew me. Maybe I could at least see HMS Victory and visit Shuttleworth.

You would love it - Great Britain is REALLY great!

They make great lagers, ales and stouts, they have a hand for restoring old cars

and flying machines (not only Shuttleworth - there are the Imperial War Museum

and the Air Force Museum), they perform the best pop music and the craziest

comedy in the whole wide world, and they simply dare to be original!

Oh, and they preserve their wonderful landscapes. And although "their home is

their castle", you can walk over farmer's and Lord's land on countrywide public

trails without hindrance. Did I mention the many castles? The chalk cliffs at the

south coast? The old villages in the Cottswolds? The green hills of Wales? The

romantic ports of Cornwall? And and and...

If you ever travel to Europe, take a lot of time for Britain. You won't regret it!

Tch - did I say that? Bleech!! Crumpetz!!

Blast! Now I have to buy 2 Bars!

3crosses.jpg

Stiffy, that DFC you purchased looks to be of very nice quality. Might I ask which online store you procured it from? I am looking for good quality replicas of the Victoria Cross, DSO, and Military Cross, and any leads you could offer would be much appreciated. Also, more pictures of your office if you would be so kind. I'm considering redoing mine and I'd like to have a word with your interior decorator. :biggrin:

Cheers!

Lou