Sign in to follow this  
streakeagle

Independent startup for high end HOTAS

Lets see where this goes...:yikes:

Hey guys, i'm the developer from mentioned web sight. i'm working on the HOTAS daily, hope to have prototypes ready by spring '10, but time, money, and the economy keeps me busy working my regular job. i'll try to answer any questions you may have. i've posted more info over at viperpits http://www.viperpits...hp?topic=5209.0

if needed or requested, i can do a full post here also.

Thanks for looking...Steve

Any info on the basic plan?

For instance, pots or Hall sensors? FFB? Strain gauge or movable? Stick/throttle/rudders sold together, separately, just stick and throttle?

Any info on the basic plan?

For instance, pots or Hall sensors? FFB? Strain gauge or movable? Stick/throttle/rudders sold together, separately, just stick and throttle?

Hello JM,

I'm using the KISS system.

Hall sensors mainly, no FFB, no strain gauge as these are expensive items (in my opinion) and would drive the cost up.

i have been kicking around an idea of making an additional stick base available that moves about 1/8-1/16 of an inch.

the stick base will be the most expensive part as it will have the joystick controller (which is the most expensive piece). then you would plugin the throttle base and rudder pedals to the stick base.

not planning on doing rudder pedals at this time.

not going to make a program. with the BU0836, you get 8 anolog axes, 32 button inputs, and a 4 way POV hat, all to assign as you wish. i re-wired an old FLCS, TQS, and TH rudder as my test platform and havent had any problems.

the stick and throttle will available at the same time, but you can buy either seperately, but remember, the throttle will not work without the stick base (joystick controller in the stick base).

Hope this helps...Steve

Edited by skausal

Yeah, that gives a good baseline as to what you'll be offering vs the others out there. People sick of pots that don't care about/for FFB or strain gauge and already have a set of USB pedals from CH or Saitek should take note!

Some people love the complicated programming of some HOTAS, but personally I've always just taken someone else's profile and made a couple changes here and there...I want to fly, not code! :grin:

Oh, since you're going to be making a number of handles, might I suggest a mirror one for the lefties out there that won't use a righty stick? I doubt they'll get the throttle, but right now only things like the Saitek Evo that are symmetrical are available to them. A lefty version of an F-16 stick, while looking totally wrong, will function the same. :biggrin:

Yeah, that gives a good baseline as to what you'll be offering vs the others out there. People sick of pots that don't care about/for FFB or strain gauge and already have a set of USB pedals from CH or Saitek should take note!

Some people love the complicated programming of some HOTAS, but personally I've always just taken someone else's profile and made a couple changes here and there...I want to fly, not code! grin.gif

Oh, since you're going to be making a number of handles, might I suggest a mirror one for the lefties out there that won't use a righty stick? I doubt they'll get the throttle, but right now only things like the Saitek Evo that are symmetrical are available to them. A lefty version of an F-16 stick, while looking totally wrong, will function the same. biggrin.gif

Well put JM, Just the reasons why i decided to try and start up this venture.

Lefty flight grip and throttle set-up?? its possible and i'll keep it on a back burner.

Steve

A lefty throttle might be too much because you'd have to move the pivot, or rotate the base 180 and move the cord to the other side. Since you said you're offering the stick alone without it, though, it would just be another handle.

Hello All, got a couple more switch hats ready, the website should be updated shortly.

I might consider putting a package deal together for Cougar users (or anyone), all 3 new replicated switch hats (maybe a forth too) at a discounted price. DMS, Chaff/Flare, Mic, and maybe the paddle if I produce it.

I need a couple favors though, it won’t cost a dime.

First, I need to work out the process for international shipping, so I’ll offer a few people around the world free hat switch covers. But you must be willing to write a review of sorts on what you think about them (hopefully positive). If you’re interested, please PM me.

Second, I made up a replacement for the paddle switch lever for the cougar (or FLCS) which replicates the real paddle switch lever on the F-16 SSC. I used an old FLCS stick and need to know if the cougar paddle switch design is the same. I don’t own a cougar and can’t see how their paddle was designed. Do you think this is something people will want?? Or should I just scrap the project?

Here's a couple pics of the new switch hats and paddle lever.

Thanks....Steve

post-52926-12568732509721.jpg

post-52926-12568732645452.jpg

post-52926-12568732735946.jpg

post-52926-12568732807416.jpg

post-52926-12568733184839.jpg

post-52926-12568733290539.jpg

post-52926-12568733394296.jpg

post-52926-12568733625191.jpg

post-52926-12568733720588.jpg

post-52926-12568733829628.jpg

The paddles are definitely different to look at, and they don't feel the same using them (after all one is metal and the other plastic), but the actual interface might be the same.

I'd have to look at both of mine more closely to see if I can tell, but I'm no engineer and I'm not going to disassemble either stick to get in there!

The paddles are definitely different to look at, and they don't feel the same using them (after all one is metal and the other plastic), but the actual interface might be the same.

I'd have to look at both of mine more closely to see if I can tell, but I'm no engineer and I'm not going to disassemble either stick to get in there!

I figured as much, seeing how TM went and made the Cougar all metal. I'm not sure, but I think even the switch hats are metal. Am I correct?? Any info is appreciated.

The actual switch hats are a special resin mixed with aluminum (not 100% sure on this, but the ones I have feel this way). The paddle is all metal. I can make all these in metal, but then the cost goes up and I’m looking at keeping things affordable. Maybe I’ll offer both types in the future if there’s a desire for metal ones.

Thanks JM for the info. P.S. still debating that lefty stick and throttle set up.

Steve

With the 'ween this weekend I didn't get a chance to look at my 2 sticks, but I can confirm that Cougar's hats/buttons/knobs/dials are all metal.

Finished... the DMS and Chaff/Flare switch hats are molded from the real deal. This DMS switch hat is a little bit small from the one I have on the website. The Mic (square) is as close as I could get without an actual switch hat to mold from.

Still working on the website update, if you need these now, pm me and we'll work things out.

Thanks...Steve

post-52926-12573931074981.jpg

post-52926-12573931285166.jpg

post-52926-12573931460401.jpg

post-52926-12573931588323.jpg

post-52926-12573931737529.jpg

post-52926-12573931895555.jpg

Just checked out the site, good stuff!

Interesting stuff. When I looked at it my first thought was parts for my Cougar.

That paddle looks cool. The Cougar hats and buttons are indeed all metal. If that paddle of yours is more realistic and also metal, I might consider switching (for purely aesthetic reasons).

Your controller, you say 8 axes and 32 buttons. Sounds good, but am I right in assuming it's all going to be DirectX assignable only? (that's the impression I got from how it was worded)

Hello Unknown Pilot,

Sorry but the paddle or hats are not metal, just urathane plastic.

The feedback i'm getting on the paddle is it bends a little, not 100% stiff like metal. I contribute this due to travel while actuating the micro switch (very small travel distance) and the thickness of the paddle itself. To me, this is only noticeable when i look at the switch while squeezing it and is not noticed while flying.

The controller is not my design, its from Leo Bodnar ( www.leobodnar.com ), more info can be found on his websight.

Thanks for the input...Steve

A quick peek of the prototype mlu radar cursor control for the cougar. should be ready for distro in a week or 2.

post-52926-12692688854825.jpg

post-52926-12692689097979.jpg

Website Updated, Cougar Mod package Available, 4-way switches available.

www.splash-one-bandit.com

Steve

Any updates, I'm at work and can't go to your site.

Just sending out some pics so folks know that I'm still "developing" my detachable HOTAS setup. Finially got a F-16 stick mold that I'm happy with. The stick is in its "rough" state (unpainted and thrown together). I just wanted to get some pics out there before i went on "vacation". It's molded from the actual F-16 stick. It's plastic, but I'm thinking about trying to pour a metal one.

Feel free to ask questions.

...Steve

www.splash-one-bandit.com

post-52926-093677500 1285721478.jpg

post-52926-061143600 1285721499.jpg

post-52926-044273800 1285721520.jpg

post-52926-077402300 1285721546.jpg

post-52926-006537700 1285721567.jpg

Looks good, I hope it easy to program and install like CH. I wish I could gut my cougar and install the CH guts......that would be an awesome stick!

Looks good, I hope it easy to program and install like CH. I wish I could gut my cougar and install the CH guts......that would be an awesome stick!

hey cali, thanks fopr the complement. the hotas will use Leo Bodnars BU0836, which is a plug and play, no program running in the back ground. all you'll have to do is assign buttons in the games setup page.

Steve

hey cali, thanks fopr the complement. the hotas will use Leo Bodnars BU0836, which is a plug and play, no program running in the back ground. all you'll have to do is assign buttons in the games setup page.

Steve

Sounds easy enough, have you thought about making a program for them? I'm asking because with CH, TM, etc... have them. I have a CH set up and if I reinstall my OS, all I have to do is install CH manager (CH program) and copy/paste my profile into the CH map folder without having to reprogram EVERYTHING all over again. It would be a PITA to have to do that every time.