Sign in to follow this  
OvS

O/T: What other hobbies do you like?

Let's see... OFF has recently dominated most of these; but in random order...

computer gaming -

music (guitar mostly) some performance & singer/songwriter

board games (I must a 60-70 titles in the closet including the old Richthofen's War & Dawn Patrol)

writing -sci fi/fantasty/general fiction/poetry

travel -the more "out of the way" the better

Dart league

reading

history

long time AD&D roleplay/game mastering (though as Baldric said co-ordinating people makes it tough nowadays)

Just want to add to my list that I'm also a big footie (soccer) fan and have been since being exposed to international football at the 1976 Montreal Olympics --- love watching EPL, CCC, Ligue 1, La Liga, Serie A, MLS/USL, international, and non-pro Sunday fun stuff which I like to sideline ref/play. I also enjoy the Football Manager series of sims. cool.gif

Let's see. Most of my time is spent caring for my Wife and our three year old son. That's more than a full time job, but I do find some time for myself. In no particular order..

Flight sims (naturally, no jets)

tinkering on my '93 5.0 Mustang

Playing bass guitar for a five piece variety band

Building model planes cars etc, plastic and wood

Building and repairing PCs

aggravating the RoF groupies at SimHQ:grin:

CJ

Nice topic.

In no particular order:

Scouting - I'm a Scout Leader, variously known either as 'Skip' or 'Hatchet'

Music - I play guitar in a five piece band and write and record material at home

Archery - I have a basic archery leaders qualification so I can teach beginners and I'm part of an active club, shooting three times a week.

Doublestop

In no particular order these are my hobbies

- PC Gaming

• OFF
  • ARMA II
  • Retro Gaming (play old games in emulators)

- Reading

• Military History Books
  • History Books
  • WWI / WWII / Books
  • Video Gaming History
  • Science Fiction
  • Classical novels

- Listening Music

• Classical / Baroque (I love Bach and Mozart)
  • Jazz (Charlie Parker and Miles Davies are two of my favorite)
  • New Wave and 80's
  • Brian Eno

- Cinema (spent a lot of time in cataloging my movie collection)

• Noir
  • Classical Movies (Drama, War, Western, etc.)
  • SF

Flyby, is that some examples of your stoneworking? Looks awsome indeed!

1- PC gaming ( OFF..FO3..COD..All CFS WW2 builds)

2- History (When some thread of historical study peaks my interest, I drill down..)

3- Golf

4- Motorcycling

5- Wines

6- Poker

7- Boxing

8- Collecting old travel books

in no particular order ;>)

Good company in here, lots of musicians. Heres my list

- Playing guitar, music is my biggest passion. Mostly blues, country and southern rock. I dabble in playing a banjo too.

- Motorcycles. This summer I rebuilt my Harley wannabe. It was totally wrecked and I got it for free. Its a 1983 Shadow 750VT. Next summer I plan on getting a "real" Harley.

- Classic cars, Hot Rods

- Custom paint jobs

- Fishing and Hunting

- and the givens, like women, drinking ect....

post-45810-12557417068282.jpg

-Rooster

My list

1. Soccer: Been a coach, referee and for 8 years I have been the Southern District Director for Mississippi Soccer Association with 13 clubs in my district.I have been involved in soccer since my 26 year old was an U-10 player.

2. Model building: mainly plastic models since I was 9. Since I been playing OFF I plan to build WW1 aircraft. Started on a SPAD a yr ago and have bought about 15 aircraft kits since then.

3. Reading: Science fiction, have a large collection of Star Trek and Star Wars. Lately for the past 2 years been reading WW1 books mentioned in our forum.

4. R/C aircraft

5 Movies: have around 50 Dvds

6 Woodworking, furniture refinishing

7. love old muscle cars, had a 69 Roadrunner in high school

8. used to hunt ( gun and bow), fish( mainly Bass)

I gues thats it

Cheers

GB

blink.gif Well I play OFF, and then theres playing OFF, Hey am I supposed to have other Hobbies? this.gif

Well besides lurking on this forum, reading all of the great mission reports and other excellent OFF topics, My Hobbies are:

building,upgrading computers and collecting and repairing old computers, collecting old computer game software.

target shooting, Hunting, fishing, Reloading

reading History all time periods, but favorites are WWI, WWII. Aerial combat.

Models, Aircraft and armor

fixing up the house.

designing and redesigning my gaming cockpit without actually building it.

Flyby, is that some examples of your stoneworking? Looks awsome indeed!

Thanks Baldric.

Not just mine, but also my three excellent apprentices. It's OK, but has a few errors, but I'm pretty chuffed on the whole. We plan more of the same, only better. Just wish I could afford more land. The day will come....

http://www.stenhousestonemasonry.co.uk/

Watching sports

Rugby (Union mainly)

Nascar

F1

Reading

Any WW1

Rugby

Nascar

Wilbur Smith books

E V Thompson books

General historical books

Computer Gaming

FO3

TDU

GTL

NWN

SH3

RTW

Thanks

Rugbyfan1972

Newcastle United..... s**te though they are these days, are my main hobby.

Also like...

Heavy Rock Music (Zep, Metallica, Alice In Chains, Rammstein)with the odd bit of acoustic music or Neil Young thrown in for good measure.

A bit of golf and Motor Sports now and then, not forgetting playing racing/flight sims/strategy games on the PC.

Did I mention watching Por......... oops, forget that bit! :english_en:

Edited by Davy TASB

Modelling, on and off through pretty much all of my life, motor-bikes and shooting. I have a lathe and mill and make most of the parts for my own gun and sell similar to others. The bike was sold last year.

modelling.jpg

repper.jpg

sil02.jpg

Quite interesting thread indeed!

Just to add mine:

1. Military Modeling and Figure Painting

2. FSX ( I fly for two VAs)

3. Airbrushing

4. Photography and Photoshoping

5. Aviation

6. Traveling and collecting badges of visited cities/ places.

7. Play the drums.

8. Airguns and archery.

9. History, Philosophy and Physics books.

Maybe too many hobbies is reason why I'm still poor!

itifonhom

Military History with Napoleonic era a special interest,WW1 a close second.Sailed most of my life but gave it up about three years ago.

Since moving to a veterans retirement village I find shooting the breeze with other old and very old vets wastes a lot of my time.Collect

army colour patches but the collection is still rather small.

Reading is my first love, so a lot of that, normally between two and five books on the go at once;

Air combat history;

Flight sims, although it's flight sim (singular) these days :grin: ;

Other PC games, subject to the above once again;

Music, mostly classical by chance rather than design though I go through periods of other stuff and find something to like in almost every genre;

Film (Movies), close to 200 DVDs and still loads more on my wishlist;

The countryside, I love walking and driving around it and love the 'I wonder where this goes' surprises the are often revealed;

Computer art;

DIY, interior design and gardening. Just finished this house, looking to move next year.

Good thread, what an interesting bunch of people we are.

Edited by Dej

This is my latest 'time user'..and future hobby!..I want to take her to agility (Border Collies Love it)...this is Sophie sitting on Mrs WM's lap!

Edited by UK_Widowmaker
  • Like 1

Wow, I have noticed a lot of overlap with other peoples' hobbies. Here are mine:

1. Board Games: War of the Ring, Richochet Robot, Hive, Axis and Allies and innumerable others. (I have Richtofen's War - came up earlier in this thread).

2. Programming: Nothing like the OFF team. I mainly program digital board games (see above). Kick-a$$ artificial intelligence. (I'm a PhD mathematician.) Also if you are interested in golf I might have something for you (predominantly free) early next year. If the OFF team allow I will inform you here on this forum. My languages/systems are C++, DirectX, Java and Silverlight. Really into Silverlight at the moment. Building a decent engine around that at present.

3. Texas Holdem on Face Book. I have two accounts (work/home) both started with the $1000 they give you and built them up to about $6 million in about 6 months.

4. Role Playing. Not so much now. Difficult to get the people. My favourite systems are Paranoia and RuneQuest.

5. REAL economics. Understanding the real reasons behind the economic mess the western democracies are in - and more importantly how to protect myself. (My PhD is in the control of dynamic systems.) For those who are interested, the systems advocated by the US and UK governments (Keynesian Economics) are technically unstable - they shoot off to infinity. If you want to look into this yourself start with understanding the exponential function and why exponential growth is impossible to sustain in a finite world.

JAA

Edited by jaa

Widow, I envy you the dog. Many happy years with her sir. I am unable to have a dog at this time but I take-in other peoples dogs for a day or weeks at a time. It is my "job" right now. I only wish it paid more as I do enjoy the dogs very much. I used to show dogs, Chows and French Bulldogs, with modest success. Besides my Koi I currently have 2 parrots. Angel is an excellent speaking African Grey and Winger is a rescued Amazon Orange-Winged.

Widow, I envy you the dog. Many happy years with her sir. I am unable to have a dog at this time but I take-in other peoples dogs for a day or weeks at a time. It is my "job" right now. I only wish it paid more as I do enjoy the dogs very much. I used to show dogs, Chows and French Bulldogs, with modest success. Besides my Koi I currently have 2 parrots. Angel is an excellent speaking African Grey and Winger is a rescued Amazon Orange-Winged.

Fantastic RC.... Yes, if people took a small step backwards to their Natural Roots...the world might be in slightly less sh*t than it is!

When I actually have time, and home in the US of A and not Purgatory, I mean Afghanistan, I like to....

Build models- aircraft and armor, ww2 mostly and compete at various shows. (BTW, nice stug you've got going there Siggi!)

Pc games- mostly sims or strategy (love the combat mission series)

Read- History, primarily both world wars and very indepth when it comes to certain areas that pique my interest at the time, i.e. i could easily spend a month or better researching a particular aircraft and its variants along much of the equipment and construction of it.

WW2 reenacting-currently do german wehrmacht. My unit, 116 Pz Div., 2/228 Panzerjager Abt., specializes in anti-armor tactics. We currently have 3 replica panzerschrecks I fabricated a couple years ago, as well as a couple panzerfausts and various magnetic mines. Oh how the Amis fear us! (when they actually bring vehicles!)

Draw/Paint- usually do a good bit of pencil sketching, but have been dabbling with watercolor painting.

Music- enjoyed playing jazz music in high school, especially 30s and 40s big band, swing (played trombone), and my lovely wife has gotten me a new one (lost my other in Hurricane Katrina in '05) since I have been deployed over here, so hopefully can find a local jazz group when I get home and try to practice with them and brush up a bit. Also play the harmonica a little. That still needs lots of practice.

On Saturday nights, I like to frequent the local stock car dirt track and watch the local boys race!

I also have a 1935 Ford 1.5 ton truck I just purchased and am having it shipped to my place to await my return and restoration. I plan to add a stake bed and canvas cover to it and use it as a German vehicle for my reenacting. (You'd be surprised how many trucks they used that were actually built by Ford.)

I think thats about it. I'm sure there's more, but haven't been able to do any of them for a year, so I've probably forgotten a couple!

Moss Point Grumpy Bear? Does Pass Christian ring a bell? What a small world! Used to dabble with RC Flying myself with the club out at the fair grounds.

Below is pic taken a couple years ago with a buddy of mine while doing some unit field training. Yours truly is holding the schreck.

post-48920-12558097999032.jpg

Wow, when I read all this, I could only say, I'm terribly lazy!

I used to have more hobbies, but right now, I'm mostly

- flying OFF in my spare time

- skinning for OFF

- jogging or fitness center (not as often as I should)

- playing or creating soundscapes on my various synthesizers

- reading

- listening to and compiling good music, plus making new cover designs for the compilations

I used to play drums with some people, but I sold the kit, when we lost the rehearsal room.

Also "wrote" some "electric new wave" pieces and songs, long ago. This is something, I will

take up again - composing and recording.

I'm afraid that I'm terribly pedestrian compared to the multifaceted posters here.

I play OFF (natch).

I'm a history fiend for more or less any period of history, but, I have to say, with some emphasis on the period covering 1639-1715 - the English Revolution allegedly.

I love seeking out new and interesting places to eat and drink, as a fan of real ale and proper food.

I occasionally bob down to see Bury FC get pasted.

I read reams of books - there are about 5-6 sat by my bedside, and a reappraisal of S.R. Gardener's History of the Great Civil War is looming. Basically, I'll read anything - I strongly recommend Rubycon by Tom Holland, if anyone's looking - but obviously my reading habits reflect my recent activities.

For good or for worse, I'm the secretary of the local Labour paty branch - which I'm sure will immediately snuff out some potential friendships on here - not because I'm a Blair/Brown fan, far from it, because my politics are somewhat to the left of that. Shocking stuff on such a forum. I probably won't mention it again, but it does seem to take up a ridiculous amount of my time, which would probably be better spent hunting enemy aircraft...

Aside from that, I think that I'm utterly average and dull. Certainly, my collection of Indo-European nose flutes isn't going to raise interest here, still less my indexed reference library of references to haddock in the period 1000-1500, so there's no chance of my mentioning them here.