Sign in to follow this  
ndicki

AI won't take off.

Hi all - just got FE, and I'm impressed. It makes a change to have AIs that try to kill you...

Anyway, I've spotted a problem. When taking off as a flight, I take off, but the AI don't. They got round and round in circles, pass through one another (!!!), piddle around in the bushes, go sightseeing in the nearby whatever, and eventually, one may decide to take off. Most don't. The stock aircraft seem to be even worse than the add-ons, but the problem seems to cover all those I've tried.

The FMs are straight-from-the-box FE Gold, so everything is up to date and compatible.

Edit: They manage OK in "Create a Mission" mode, but not in missions written with Le Missionneur. This may be my fault. Changing realism settings does not change the problem, so that's not it.

Any ideas? I love to fly "scramble" missions where you have to get into the air as fast as you can, with the enemy busily strafing your airfield...

Edited by ndicki

It happenes to me almost everytime I use Le missioneur or KMD mission builders. It's just a glitch I suppose. Most missions I do now start in the air over the airfield at low altitude. But if you delete the flight thats taking off and redo it, it might be better the second time. Or even third timedntknw.gif . It is very anoying I know. nothing like creating a big mission only to not have the planes take offblink.gif . Well as far as I know there isnt a fix for this. Just try it again.

FYI, I use LM to create missions, waypoints, and place ground objects (one of everything). Then use KMD to change the altitude for balloons, change the skins for all the planes by "cloning", and clone all ground objects. LM doesnt let you do this. With LM you can only create one object at a time. You can get KMD here in the download section. Try in SFP1 utilities.

Thanks, Quack - it's reassuring to find that it isn't me. for once!

I do already use both LM and KMD - mainly because LM won't run at all in SF2, which is what I usually use, but will in SF1... And as you say, there are things one will do that the other won't... :heat:

After many hours of experimenting I have found a fix to this problem that I also have been suffering from in SPF1 with a couple of aircraft - the Spitfire 1A, 2A, and the Yak-9U

It may be the problem arose with Oct08 patch, I don't really know as I bypassed the earlier versions myself.

Anyway the problem lies in the [Engine] definition section with the AltitudeTableData 1st entry. Not sure what this table does but I'm guessing it must be something to do with power rates at various altitudes, so I'm guessing the 1st entry is "ground level". Anyway, I found that by gradually increasing the value of the 1st entry it reduces the planes tendancy the go round in circles instead of taking-off.

Here is what I have for the Spitfire 1A. As you can see I have increased the 1st value from 1.300 to 1.800

This have solved the problem to the extent that occassionally some planes will still wander off a bit but will always come back to the right position on the tarmac and take-off.

I still need to increase the value to fully eliminate the problem so am increasing it by 0.1 at a time. I reckon a few more tweaks and the Spit with be totally fixed.

//AltitudeTableData=1.300,0.895,0.925,0.955,1.000,0.845,0.585,0.125,0.000,0.000

AltitudeTableData=1.800,0.895,0.925,0.955,1.000,0.845,0.585,0.125,0.000,0.000

Andy