Sign in to follow this  
FalconC45

Dual Boot System

The main reason I have 2 PCS (one for internet use, one for pure gaming) is to cut down the internet junk that'll slow down the performance. Well my booting problem is not fixed and am getting really frustrated. To get rid of this headache, I'm thinking of doing a dual boot system on my gaming system. One OS for net useage, one OS for pure gaming; Is that feasible, if so is there a how to site to create one?

Falcon

Edited by FalconCAF

With Vista and later versions of Windows it's pretty easy. The big thing is to partition your drive then boot off the CD. Install to each partition...the OS on that partition will see itself as the C: drive. It takes a while, but it's pretty straight forward.

If you throw XP or other OSes into the mix, then it's a bit more complicated.

I have a triple boot system myself...XP SP2 MCE 2005, Vista32 Home Premium, and Win7 64 Ultimate RC7100...works great for cross OS testing.

FC

With Vista and later versions of Windows it's pretty easy. The big thing is to partition your drive then boot off the CD. Install to each partition...the OS on that partition will see itself as the C: drive. It takes a while, but it's pretty straight forward.

If you throw XP or other OSes into the mix, then it's a bit more complicated.

I have a triple boot system myself...XP SP2 MCE 2005, Vista32 Home Premium, and Win7 64 Ultimate RC7100...works great for cross OS testing.

FC

How complicated is the mixed OS route? I'm thinking of having Vista 64bit os (current OS on my gaming system) for net usage and buy WIN7 for gaming.

Falcon

Mixed OS works fine as long as you install the oldest OS first and then move on from there. It's definitely recommended to install each OS on a separate partition/HD.

Guest Eject

Mixed OS works fine as long as you install the oldest OS first and then move on from there. It's definitely recommended to install each OS on a separate partition/HD.

I am considering to buy a new Notebook, LENOVO IdeaPad Y450 038 available here in Jakarta, or the better ACER Aspire 5935G-874G50Mn. Both come with 500GB standard HDD Serial ATA 5400. ACER with standard 4MB DDR2 SDRAM PC-6400, with NVIDIA GeForce GT130M 1 GB, Win VISTA Home Premium, it;s USD 1,299.00 here fob Jakarta.

I was considering to configure either in thee partitions C, D, and E as is the case with my current, pathetic student laptop, two-year ACER. C is mainly for Programs and most important exe files.

Some people here always insisted that we people store the WOx or similar sims in C, while I have doing it in E, with no problemas at all.

My questions is, since I have never use VISTA any version, ans since the new ACER comes with VISTA Home Premium; can I install this good XP Patch 2 in E just for my WOE/WOI???

Thank u.....

Edited by Eject

That's the problem...installing XP onto another partition with Vista already loaded on the PC generally leads to a dead Vista! There is a way to fix it, though, if you have the bootable Vista DVD (not everyone gets one with a new PC) by using the Windows RE Command Prompt and running bcdedit.exe /default id