Sign in to follow this  
andqui

briefed height vs. actual height

If the briefing says the mission is going to be at 12000 feet, then the AI flight leader should fly the mission at 12000 feet. The way it is now, we fly the 20 nm to the target area at 7000 feet, and then pop up the the correct height for around 10 minutes before we drop back down to 7000 feet to return to base. This leads to almost every enemy flight encountered being at a higher altitude. Instead of flying at the correct height, the flight spends 85% of the time a good 5-6000 feet lower than what it's supposed to be at.

any thoughts?

If the briefing says the mission is going to be at 12000 feet, then the AI flight leader should fly the mission at 12000 feet. The way it is now, we fly the 20 nm to the target area at 7000 feet, and then pop up the the correct height for around 10 minutes before we drop back down to 7000 feet to return to base. This leads to almost every enemy flight encountered being at a higher altitude. Instead of flying at the correct height, the flight spends 85% of the time a good 5-6000 feet lower than what it's supposed to be at.

any thoughts?

I've noticed this too. It seems like I'm getting jumped from above quite a bit dntknw.gif

Goto workshops and increase your flight altitude...

The penalty is a longer time to make alt before going over...

HTH

WM

Ryan, I rarely ever bother about getting jumped at from above - that way, they save me time

I would have used to climb up to them. Let them come down - when they can't await their

bell to toll. Lol!

Goto workshops and increase your flight altitude...

The penalty is a longer time to make alt before going over...

HTH

WM

That's the problem. Altitude is allready set for the highest, but for most of the flight, the AI flight leader uses a "transit altitude" of 8000 feet, and only climbs to the right height for the patrol waypoints. It would be much better if the whole flight was made at the correct altitude, instead of just the patrol area waypoints.

That's the problem. Altitude is allready set for the highest, but for most of the flight, the AI flight leader uses a "transit altitude" of 8000 feet, and only climbs to the right height for the patrol waypoints. It would be much better if the whole flight was made at the correct altitude, instead of just the patrol area waypoints.

It all about time to gain height and what that means for the player....

I will look at making the bandwidths higher but again even with higher bandwidths there will still be an oportunity that you will be bounced - its the nature of the war.

But I will not change the way the flight gains height because already its painful enough as it is - do you understand what it would mean to make all waypoints at the max flight altitude? - you do realise your flight has to gain height to go over from take-off (irrespective of the new air start feature which bascally cuts out the first stages of the mission)?

One of the things I have always seen in these forums is folks wanting to stay alive longer in a war that really did not allow it.......

Guys yes it sucks being bounced and yes it did happen.

All I can say is lead the flight and fly at the altitude you prefer.

HTH

WM

i agree with winder,

in real missions were at all altitudes. that's war and it depended what your task was, what orders you received, what you expected to search for, in which altitude your type of aicraft was the best etc. sometimes higher, sometimes lower. i don't understand where the problem is. i'm getting bounced as often as i bounce the enemy. both have it's advantages and disadvantages. it's easier to search the skies than looking for specks underneath you because you have only your wings as blindspots. when searching underneath the whole fuselage is a blindspot, especially when the enemy is sneaking from behind. i like it as it is now :good:

ok. that's a good point.

I guess my main issue is that the briefing says 14000 feet, but I'm stuck flying at 8000 feet for most of the mission.