Sign in to follow this  
Gromit

Uffz Hans Goldbach's First Mission

Unteroffizier Hans Goldbach joined the Deutsche Luftstreitkräftein in the Spring of 1916, after having transferred out of an field artillery regiment that had seen heavy action during the Second Battle of Ypres in April of 1915. As an eager 20-year old who excelled at Fliegerschule, Hans was both mortified and ecstatic at the same time to learn that his first posting would be to Jasta 2, at the direct request of Hauptmann Oswald Boelcke. Goldbach reported to his new commanding officer at the aerodrome located in Bertincourt, France on 31 August, 1916. Hauptmann Boelcke informed Hans that he would be going up on his first sortie the next morning, but declined to provide any details at that particular time.

Hans awoke at 0730 on the morning of 1 September, after having slept what amounted to a mere 4 hours. The excitement of his first foray into battle prevented him for sleeping his normal 7 hours a night, and he trudged himself into the mess tent to forage for some coffee. Thirty minutes later, Hans was dressed and standing by in the briefing room at the appointed hour when Boelcke entered. Hans immediately noticed that no one else was in the room...a peculiar set of circumstances, but one he was sure his CO would shed some light on.

"You're to proceed to these following coordinates, and engage any targets of opportunity that present themselves."

:yikes:

Surely Boelcke was jesting! What madman would send an untested, inexperienced pilot on a Lone Wolf mission into British territory on his first mission? Oswald Boelcke, that's who.

Goldbach accepted his orders, saluted, and left the briefing room shaking his head. What will mama say when they inform her of my death?

Hans reached his aircraft, a sturdy Halberstadt DII that carried a single Spandau machinegun. After a quick preflight, Goldbach's mechanic spun the prop and a few minutes later Hans was off on his first mission.

Goldbach flew 18 miles west, climbing high over the front. To his right, he could see the fierce shelling of the British positions by German artillery. He wondered if it could be his old unit... As he reached his first waypoint, he still had not encountered any enemy machines. He flew north towards the second waypoint and in the process paralleled the front on the British side of the lines. Fifteen miles into the 34 mile leg, Hans encountered his first target of opportunity: a British balloon! He dove his crate from an altitude of 5500' down to 1500', and let loose with the Spandau. The balloon erupted into a fiery gas ball after less than 20 rounds, and it plummeted to the ground.

Ten miles later, Hans spotted a large flight of unknown aircraft at his six-o'clock position, traversing the front from the German side to the British side. As he was alone, Hans thought it best to leave them unmolested and instead carried on to the next waypoint. No sense in getting jumped by superior numbers! As he approached the waypoint, Hans noticed some dust being stirred up on the road below. It appeared to be an enemy troop movement, and further investigation confirmed that a British regiment replete with vehicles was on the move south. Hans dove down and attempted to strafe the column, but missed miserably. In doing so, he also used up his precious allotment of ammunition.

Luckily, the rest of Hans' flight was utterly boring. Not a single other aircraft was spotted. No more balloons, no more troops. Hans flew the remainder of the waypoints, and then landed back at Bertincourt.

Missions Flown: 1

Total mission time: 159 minutes.

Kills: 0

(What a freakin' cool game! :rofl: )

Edited by Gromit

I welcome this brave pilot at Jasta 2! The first mission is always decisive for a young pilot and that one went really good. But, stay alert! The Front near Bertincourt can be very quiet but very busy too! Sometimes this even happens in a single mission! You will get a steady diet of Bees and Fees, some DH2s but also Nieups 17 and Pups. The later two are really poisonous to a Halb, just stay away of them, unless the A flight which already has the Alb is nearby.

Nice story indeed, itifonhom

Edited by itifonhom

Wonderful report of your first flight, Gromit!

Now take real care of the boy, never feel secure, not even with Boelke at your side!

Check around and make sure, what YOU do, is right.

One tip for such lone wolf missions: You could changhe the flight path slightly.

Instead of flying along the line on the British side, you could follow it on your side.

That is much safer for you, and you would be fighting over own terrain.

As a 'lone wolf', you can make such decisions yourself.

Rumpf- und Flügelbruch, Pilot! :good:

Hans earned his first unconfirmed victory over a FE2b this morning near Mont-St-Eloi.

The observer riddled me with bullets, but I would not be denied. The crate eventually lost power and glided to a crash-landing on the British side of the lines. Now I wait for confirmation...

Gromit, I see now why you waited a few days to start your first campaign. You are serious about this. A wonderful report you shared with my coffee, thanks.

Well, that was humbling. :blink:

Uffz Goldbach was killed in action against enemies of Imperial Germany on 2 September 1916. He was witnessed augering in after engaging a flight of no less than 6 Nieuport 17s and 11s along with 7 other members of Jasta 2. :salute:

Damn DiD. :no:

Excellent report Gromit! Ashame about poor Hans' early demise, but he's in good company.

"Here's a toast to the dead already. Hurrah for the next man to die!"

drinks.gif

Lou

Sorry to hear that, Gromit, but I told you. It's the proof for a really great AI, isn't it?

Perhaps you take the Albatros D.I now? Best craft for to shredder Nupes!

Edited by Olham

Nice report, Gromit, and know that Hans joins good company. drinks.gif