Sign in to follow this  
Tanyrhiew

ALT-Tab or running OFF in windowed mode

Well the OFF disk turned up today (5 days delivery to the UK - not too shabby :-)). Installed OK, patched up to 1.32g. I'm trying to get my TIR1 working with OFF using the same method (TIR attack 1.6 as outlined at wingsofhonour) as I used for Phase 2 (I understand that OFF supports the later version TIR's and I'm behind the times!).

TIR works but using TIR attack involves alt-tab/ctrl-esc out of the game to start TIRattack after the cfs3 exe has been launched. Alt-tab out of the game is causing my PC to lock up (cfs3 hangs making it impossible to see the desktop, requiring a hard reset).

I know cfs3 had a windowed mode - is it possible to enable this from OFF? Failing that, any tips for minimising OFF with out having to hold the power button in for 30 seconds?

System specs:

c2d E6600

4Gb RAM

NV 8800GT

WinXP Pro

lol..yep...99.9 percent of us have that similar problem,,,,,for some of us,,we can alt tab out,,but cant get back into the game,,and have to do a ttl restart..

here is an option...find your obdsoftware\cfsww1 over flanders fields directory...and locate the cfs3.exe...make a shortcut to it on your desktop. this will start the game up,,but will bypass the off manager,,and you should be able to alt tab out of cfs3.exe...

now the way it works doing it thru the shortcut,,if the last thing you did with the off manager was quick combat,,all you will see when you start with the cfs3.exe is the quick combat medal,,,if the last thing you did with the offmangare was a mission, then you should see the mission and multiplayer medal,,,but,,no matter what you get,,,,you should be able to get some game goinng that will let you see how your trackir is working,,and let you get out to make adjustments...

Well the OFF disk turned up today (5 days delivery to the UK - not too shabby :-)). Installed OK, patched up to 1.32g. I'm trying to get my TIR1 working with OFF using the same method (TIR attack 1.6 as outlined at wingsofhonour) as I used for Phase 2 (I understand that OFF supports the later version TIR's and I'm behind the times!).

TIR works but using TIR attack involves alt-tab/ctrl-esc out of the game to start TIRattack after the cfs3 exe has been launched. Alt-tab out of the game is causing my PC to lock up (cfs3 hangs making it impossible to see the desktop, requiring a hard reset).

I know cfs3 had a windowed mode - is it possible to enable this from OFF? Failing that, any tips for minimising OFF with out having to hold the power button in for 30 seconds?

System specs:

c2d E6600

4Gb RAM

NV 8800GT

WinXP Pro

There is no need to Alt-TAB out of CFS3 or OFF. Simply before you wish to fly OFF, you select TrackIR, make sure you have your OFF profile selected (if you have one), make sure TrackIR is tracking your head, then minimize that, then I select my Joystick and make sure that my OFF profile for that joystick is selected, then I launch OFF. Simple.

I'm not sure why other people are having problems, but I alt-tab out of the OFF manager and CFS3.exe all the time so I can write-up my missions in a notepad window as they occur. It's so nice to be able to copy and paste the names of my wingmen, etc., as well as just type things as they occur rather than try to translate scribbled notes with my awful handwriting.

It might be the Operating System. Works fine for me under the 64-bit versions of both Vista and Windows 7, and I see you're still running XP, Tanyrhiew. What a waste of 4GB of RAM.

Anyone else who can't alt-tab in and out? What OS are you using?

Ignore all the FUD people are maliciously spreading and UPGRADE! OFF works great with both Vista and Win7! Get the 64-bit version so you can use more than 3GB of RAM.

seems that the majority of us cant alt tab out..(xp64 here), so consider yourself fortunate...

and not sure what FUD you are referring to, but at this point in time, the is no multiplayer in w7...

seems that the majority of us cant alt tab out..(xp64 here), so consider yourself fortunate...

I guess so. Can anyone else support or reject if its an XP issue?

and not sure what FUD you are referring to, but at this point in time, the is no multiplayer in w7...

That seems to be true, sitting_duck, but in that case Vista's still recommended over XP if you MP. I'm glad you're x64 man, at least, but you're really missing out on some useful features from a modern operating system.

Others have been claiming things like win7 "doesn't support Force Feedback" which is a complete lie that unfortunately some people have believed.

Others have been claiming things like win7 "doesn't support Force Feedback" which is a complete lie that unfortunately some people have believed.

I find the term "lie" too "strong" in this case Lothar. There might by some misinformation that's all. But nobody here is spreading lies for the sake of... lying.

I don't have FFB in Win7, but like I've stated in another thread, that's not a problem of Win7 but from the joystick maker who didn't even gave support in Vista.

In my case (32 bit) I can't do a ALT TAB in XP or in Win7, without crashing the OS or at least the OFF manager.

I find the term "lie" too "strong" in this case Lothar. There might by some misinformation that's all. But nobody here is spreading lies for the sake of... lying.

You're right, my language was probably a bit strong--I can't and shouldn't try to speak for the motives of others.

In my case (32 bit) I can't do a ALT TAB in XP or in Win7, without crashing the OS or at least the OFF manager.

I guess we'll have to chalk it up to gremlins then, while I knock on wood and thank my luck.

For the record I have FF in OFF in Win7 64bit using a USB Sidewinder Pro.. so it does work.

I can also alt tab in CFS3 or OFF, but for most of the last 5 years on any system I could not even in vanilla CFS3 using all sorts of hardware and OS (XP/Vista usually) ATI/NVidia/Intel/AMD mattered not. Win7 64 bit seems to have helped in that regard.