Sign in to follow this  
Siggi

Volunteers needed for DiD campaign.

Okay, I have checked through the two seaters now. The Hannover seems to have

entered service only later, so what we could fly apart from the DFW, is the Roland.

That craft has a poor view forward down. I'll test it tomorrow, and you "Germans"

may well give me your opinion: DFW or Roland for a start?

And another point: all of us, who have read about DiD flyers, must be aware, that

Creaghorn is a far better DiD pilot than me.

Me, I had just switched off "crutches", from DiD/TLW to the new Full DiD - only to

crash it into a Brisfit! I had not been aware, that it was descending with a hanging

tail - from the looks, I had thought, it would zoom over me.

If it turns out in the tournament, that I am a lousy DiD pilot, I will hand the baton

to Creaghorn, or whoever else is doing best.

Looking good Siggi. Thank you for including the rules. I printed and placed in my OFF book. I also saved the link in my OFF Forum favorites. I saved your email addy in my email addresses as my default email is not one I use. No questions at this time. Just waiting for Jasta assignment from der Hauptman.

Edited by Rickitycrate

Gents,

I am wondering if we want to have a sticky for this DiD Campaign? The sticky should include the link for the Sqaud/Jasta boards and would provide a place for communication specific to the subject and to post screenies. As we proceed with the campaign dates the sticky would allow for interested OFFers to follow our progress and hopefully enlist at some point. They will be able to see how well we are doing... if they can do better let them join.

IMO if we don't do this we will not get the influx of new flyers that would help to keep this alive.

Just checked Jasta 4 aircraft and movements. They are definitely the most moving around

Staffel among my choice, and they get further south, to the Verdun sector, too.

And they fly all craft except for the Albatros D Va 200 hp.

But they fly the Halberstadt D II/D III from our start until 30. January, 1917.

Also do they fly the Pfalz D III/D IIIa very often and long;

2.10. - 20.10.1917, 23.10 - 16.11.1917, 21.11.1917 - 20.3.1918, 1.4. - 8.4.1918,

16.4. - 24.4.1918, and 28.4. - 2.5.1918

If they didn't get the E.V / D VIII, they are out anyway. But if they did, it's our decision to make.

I'll try to find that out tomorrow.

One last thought: if we can't get any new sticky space, we could use Siggi's

DiD Standard sticky, right?

I'm fine with the DFW--- its actually quite a pleasure to fly apart from the engine block in my face, and takes really nothing to get used to. It climbs well, turns ok, lands nicely, very stable while starting bombing run. I don't care about the FF MG (forward firing) as the DFW is not a scout, and for strafing, I'll just follow the rounds as they hit the ground. I'm usurping the French plan name, and calling my Baldric Plan "Plan XVII" (17 hours...17 hours 17 hours....).

Olham, no need to pass on the baton if the brown stuff smacks into the fan blades-- we've got your six Salute.gif

<runs off to find some especially fine specimens of turnips to drop on RFC messhalls>

Herr Kommandant,

Leutnant von Guber, wegen der Aufgabe, Herrn meldend. :salute:

(Or, if my German is too poor: von Guber reporting for duty, Sir!)

I prefer the DFW myself. Too many rough landings in the Roland due to not being able to see when the ground is coming! lol.

-Rooster

Best go with the DFW for the sake of landing safely. I will be happy with any decision and follow my leader. One good thing about the DFW is that there is a pilot in craft.

post-45792-12565240072316.jpg

Ready. yikes.gif

Rolfmeyer1.jpg

Any ruling on skins, Siggi/Olham? I finally managed to pick up Bullethead's Night Camo, so I've that available if deemed ok.

camo.jpg

I think Herr Olham has mentioned he would like to make a special Jasta skin for us. It seems we germans are chomping at the bit.

Yep, cant wait. This is gonna be a blast. Great idea Siggi. One question though..... Should all of us flying for the Kaiser enlist as Flieger, except for Olham?

-Rooster

Rooster I think Herr Olham has ideas for rank assignments too. We had PM'd each other about a few of these very questions I had.

Definitely the DFW - it's more fun to fly as a bomber with that bombsight and it's safer and easier to land than the Roland.

And like I mentioned earlier, the improved Pfalz is now a viable choice for a campaign plane. In fact I'd rather fly in the Pfalz than the Alb D.V/D.Va, because they are such disapppointments after the excellent D.II and D.III and have weak wings.

I shouldn't have any problems with full DiD - the only thing I've been using is warp, and I figure I can live without it for this experimental campaign. I've never used labels and TAC only when giving attack orders to wingmen - very useful when flying bombers.

All you beastly Bosche, please address all questions to Herr Olham.

All rules are subject to amendment, depending how we find things as we tootle along. One thing I really do stress, and especially with xmas hoving into view, if you can get your flying-mittens on a TiR grab one with both of them. Make the most of that uncluttered screen and really put your head in the game. :good:

We need a CO for the allies, for the RPG element of the affair, somebody to give stirring speeches and generally apply the cohesive esprit de corps needed by our chaps in the air. Any volunteers? Time and commitment needed, with a good accent (and a monocle wouldn't go amiss). Standard-issue equipment...a riding-crop, to keep the ranks in line, and a revolver. :good:

Meine Herren

We have got another new member in our crew: VonGuber will make sure,

that our ranks will always be filled. Let's welcome our new pilot!

So far, our Elitegruppe will be:

Olham

Creaghorn

Baldric

Mr.Lucky

Rickitycrate

Velvet

Rooster89

77Scout

Hasse Wind

VonGuber

Baldric, Rooster, Hasse Wind, you're right about the DFW - it is easier to fly

and land than the Roland. So it will be as Siggi suggested anyway:

DFW C.V, FA(A)250 from Wasquehal.

I am thinking of a colour sheme we can take with us on all craft, and which is different to all

existing historical skins. On the DFW, it will only be a fuselage band. The only good looking

colours not yet used I could think of so far, would be orange or torquoise. We'll see - I want

to keep a touch of surprise.

Everyone should take some flying time on the DFW, if he wants to get through that phase well.

We will do our first flights on November 5th, 1916 - I expect to see you in acceptable condition.

Wegtreten! (Dismissed)

PS:

I ask you all again: Does anyone know, if Jasta 4 got the E.V / D VIII ?

That is important to know for our Jasta choice decision.

OK, I am back in the office for a day before heading back out on the road again for work. Trying to get caught up around here, and in answer to you question Olham, from what I can find in various sources, these are the jastas that either were assigned or had an opportunity to fly the E.V / D.VIII before the end of the War:

Jasta 1

Jasta 6

Jasta 8

Jasta 19

Jasta 24

Jasta 36

Jasta 5 (Erich Lowenhardt flew one for a short while)

Seafront Staffel (supposedly continued to use the aircraft after they had been officially grounded)

I Marine Feld Jasta

II Marine Feld Jasta

III Marine Feld Jasta

I could find no evideince to show Jasta 4 had them, but that doesn't mean they didn't, only that I couldn't locate any paperwork to support it.

Cheers!

Lou

Okay, wonderful, Lou, this is what I needed. I'll check all those Jastas for usability in this DiD Campaign.

Siggi won't do the commander of the British side, he said. So you guys have to elect one still.

For the 'Huns':

We will start our campaign as Leutnant. Whenever we have to start a new pilot,

we will start him at the current date, right after the old one's death.

We will not only loose your victories, but also any higher ranks, and start as Leutnant again.

And don't worry about phases, where you can't fly. You just advance time later, to catch up

with the current date.

Checked the Jastas, that Lou named for getting the Fokker E.V (D VIII) later.

Jasta 1 and Jasta 8 never got the Fokker Dr.1 Dreidecker

Jasta 19, 24 and 36 started to late for us

So the choice is made - we will be flying as a special Elitegruppe within Jasta 6.

• Like 1

Checked the Jastas, that Lou named for getting the Fokker E.V (D VIII) later.

Jasta 1 and Jasta 8 never got the Fokker Dr.1 Dreidecker

Jasta 19, 24 and 36 started to late for us

So the choice is made - we will be flying as a special Elitegruppe within Jasta 6.

I will update the site accordingly.

Other new stuff has been added but I found I had to refresh my browser-page to see any of it.

Now to the names - how shall we do them?

We would recognise each other best by using our Forum name, I suppose.

In that case, my pilot could be named:

Juergen Olham.

Or we choose real German names, with our Forum names as a nickname

in the middle; like:

Juergen 'Olham' Mahlo

In the second example, you could give me your first and family names via PM, and I

make sense of them as a German name.

For example Jack Miller would be Hans Müller, John Carpenter would be Johann Zimmermann.

What do you all think is better?

• Like 1

Names, assignments, plane allotments? blink.gif

We best steel ourselves lads, it is only too obvious the dastardly Hun are preparing for a massive offensive come the 5th of November. We Allies are going to want to give back more than we get, which means every man jack of you better be prepared! I expect each of us to get in extra gunnery practice as well as formation flying, and take-offs and landings. So help me if I see anyone nose his kite over trying to aloft or alight I’ll kill ‘em myself, provided the wreck hasn’t already done us the favour! No time for slackers or daydreamers. Keep your wits about you every second you are in the cockpit, and work that neck swivel of yours as if your bloody life depends on it, because it does! There’ll be plenty of time for back pats and chest puffing when we’re all safe and sound back at camp, and we can drink to each other’s good fortune and brag all about ourselves then. But when we’re flying our minds best be in our work. Remember, this is for King and Country, and for the sweethearts and mothers back home.

Rule Britannia! Up the Kaiser's!

HIP HIP, HURRAH!

Names, assignments, plane allotments? blink.gif

We best steel ourselves lads, it is only too obvious the dastardly Hun are preparing for a massive offensive come the 5th of November. We Allies are going to want to give back more than we get, which means every man jack of you better be prepared! I expect each of us to get in extra gunnery practice as well as formation flying, and take-offs and landings. So help me if I see anyone nose his kite over trying to aloft or alight I’ll kill ‘em myself, provided the wreck hasn’t already done us the favour! No time for slackers or daydreamers. Keep your wits about you every second you are in the cockpit, and work that neck swivel of yours as if your bloody life depends on it, because it does! There’ll be plenty of time for back pats and chest puffing when we’re all safe and sound back at camp, and we can drink to each other’s good fortune and brag all about ourselves then. But when we’re flying our minds best be in our work. Remember, this is for King and Country, and for the sweethearts and mothers back home.

Rule Britannia! Up the Kaiser's!

HIP HIP, HURRAH!

That'll be you promoted to C.O. then, unless you have a bally good reason why not.

Edited by Siggi