Sign in to follow this  
Siggi

Volunteers needed for DiD campaign.

To all pilots;

The website is finalized, after some revisions to the layout and look. The general theme is 'WW1 Eye Candy', but also functional (just like a tart's handbag then).

From all of you I need your persona names and ranks. Olham has dictated that all his pilots begin with the lowest officer rank. Louvert may or may not wish to stipulate similarly. Please use the Combat Report to update me in this regard.

Gentlemen, the rules for this version of DiD are hard. Not only will you lose your stats upon death, you are also required to start in recon/bomber outfits, flying and surviving a total of 17 hours and/or attaining at least 5 confirmed kills (yours and/or your AI crewman's). More than this, if you have made it to fighters and subsequently die there you are obliged to return to recon/bombers with your new persona and start all over again. For those who enjoy the two-seaters this won't be such a hardship, but for those who don't it will suck arse. This, then, will be the test of your grit, your perseverence and dedication to virtual duty. The weak will retire, the strong will endure. And for those who endure there is offered the possibility of glory.

In game-functional terms the rules will make virtual death a real pain (at least for those who don't much like driving a bus and dropping turnips out the door). But this is a two-sided coin; by suffering the pain of the two-seater, so much greater will be the pleasure of the scout. And it will foster within your breast an innate and genuine concern for your persona's welfare. Survival first, victory second.

I hope this concept, the core DiD concept, will give you added pleasure in your virtual flying and fighting. And so, onwards and upwards and good luck to you all! :salute:

Hi guys,

Here's a question for the organisers of this momentous event and an offer of assistance from the MP community .......

If you could all fly exactly the same campaign mission as the other members of your squadron or jasta, rather than fly one randomly generated by the game on the day/time in question, would you want to do it?

Vasco :pilotfly:

Hi guys,

Here's a question for the organisers of this momentous event and an offer of assistance from the MP community .......

If you could all fly exactly the same campaign mission as the other members of your squadron or jasta, rather than fly one randomly generated by the game on the day/time in question, would you want to do it?

Vasco :pilotfly:

In my opinion it would be odd to all be flying the exact same mission when not actually together in reality. With the generated missions we can imagine ourselves to be leading (or within) seperate flights at different times. But we are, at least, sharing the same units and time-line. :)

Siggi, to be able to fly like everyone else, you suggested Lou and I should have two identities.

Okay, here are mine:

Staffelführer: Hauptmann Guenther Baron von Mahlow

Normal Pilot: Leutnant Juergen Mahlo

Your website looks absolutely great! That should be fun!

Siggi, to be able to fly like everyone else, you suggested Lou and I should have two identities.

Okay, here are mine:

Staffelführer: Hauptmann Guenther Baron von Mahlow

Normal Pilot: Leutnant Juergen Mahlo

Your website looks absolutely great! That should be fun!

Olham and Louvert, your C.O. personas on the killboard (non-flying) will inherit the stats of your highest-achieving personas on a rolling basis, just so they look credible. :good:

One quick last minor question for the British pilots Commander Louvert. Salute.gif

Should we enlist in 3 Wing RNAS out of Ochey (bomber sqn), flying the strutter 1.5? Or are we enlisting in the fighter sqn RNAS 3 out of St-Pol-Su-Mer flying the same craft?

I understand that we start out in bombers and progress to scouts as we progress through our campaign career. But in this instance both the bomber and the fighter sqns start out with the same aircraft. Oh, and RNAS 3 can start a career exactly on Nov 5th. While 3 Wing RNAS starts around Oct 23 or late November.

S!

One quick last minor question for the British pilots Commander Louvert. Salute.gif

Should we enlist in 3 Wing RNAS out of Ochey (bomber sqn), flying the strutter 1.5? Or are we enlisting in the fighter sqn RNAS 3 out of St-Pol-Su-Mer flying the same craft?

I understand that we start out in bombers and progress to scouts as we progress through our campaign career. But in this instance both the bomber and the fighter sqns start out with the same aircraft. Oh, and RNAS 3 can start a career exactly on Nov 5th. While 3 Wing RNAS starts around Oct 23 or late November.

S!

Hang fire on this, we have a problem with 3-Wing RNAS coming up as fighters instead of bombers. I'm going to check RNAS-2...

Ok chaps, it's 2-RNAS, which can also be set to start bang on the 5th nov without the need to advance time (choose the start-date as you select the unit while enlisting your pilot). :good:

Creag's told me how to set the date via a file, so there's now a choice...2-RNAS with Strutters or RFC-25 with Fe2s. Any preferences?

Edited by Siggi

Ok chaps, it's 2-RNAS, which can also be set to start bang on the 5th nov without the need to advance time (choose the start-date as you select the unit while enlisting your pilot). good.gif

Got it now Siggi thanks!

Officially signed in.

S!

(my vote would be for RNAS 2. No tweaking necessary) Salute.gif

Edited by Macklroy

Are we going to replace our squadrons roster with or add to the roster the names of the pilots from the website?

Could you enlighten me, Siggi, how to change a file to get the right date?

Then we must not go through any "advance time" proceedure.

Siggi, I say we stick in the Strutter 1 1/2's with 2 RNAS. Also, I would ask all Allied flyers to start as Flight Lt's, and I might recommend the following little twist to this campaign. Since we will have actual CO's throughout it could be even more immersive if said CO's could make promotions of their respective flyers based on performance and outstanding displays of aerial prowess, rather than waiting for the sim to generate the promotion. What do you folks think?

Cheers!

Lou

Edited by RAF_Louvert

Now here this, all RNAS pilots. It appears we will be starting operations short one man on 5 November. I've received the following telegram from the good ship Wiltshire, via the AIF:

To the Officer Commanding [sTOP] 3 Wing RNAS [sTOP]

Looks like I'll be missing the start of your show [sTOP] Dodging Fritz submarines north of CV [sTOP] Expected arrival in France 9 November [sTOP] Looking forward to making the acquaintance of you cobbers [sTOP] Hope you leave enough Fritz for a poor colonial Billjim to write home about [sTOP]

Good Luck

DEJ

From the initials I can only assume that the telegram is from our Australian pilot Lieutenant Darcy Edwin Jarrow. Now some of you gents might have a few reservations concerning the Australians and their lack of discipline, but I tell you this: The AIF have put up one hell of a bloody good fight at Pozières and Windmill Farm, and the casualties they've suffered are heavy beyond compare. If any man in this outfit imagines our Jarrow will prove any less resourceful, then that man will answer to me personally. We will all be looking forward to Lt. Jarrow's arrival on the 9th. By the way, his log book has been forward to my command and I post it here as introduction.

msg-22996-12566744908115.jpg

Capt. W.L. Elder

#3 Wing (detached)

Royal Naval Air Service 

RNAS3_CO_01.jpg

Ready for active duty sir! Ive patched the old crate up as best I can but she's seen better days.

OldTom01.jpg

OldTom02.jpg

Siggi, I say we stick in the Strutter 1 1/2's with 2 RNAS. Also, I would ask all Allied flyers to start as Flight Lt's, and I might recommend the following little twist to this campaign. Since we will have actual CO's throughout it could be even more immersive if said CO's could make promotions of their respective flyers based on performance and outstanding displays of aerial prowess, rather than waiting for the sim to generate the promotion. What do you folks think?

Cheers!

Lou

Flight Lieutenant it is, and a switch to RNAS #2. Promotions....and demotions? I almost had a couple of those, so I will be prepared. laugh.gif

Jolly good Stiffy! That kite should continue to serve you well Sir. Not only does Tommy Sopwith build sturdy craft, we in the RNAS have the best mechanincs and riggers to be found anywhere, bar none!

Could you enlighten me, Siggi, how to change a file to get the right date?

Then we must not go through any "advance time" proceedure.

I've been trying to find the file but no luck. I think it might not be generated until one has flown a mission with the pilot. Anyway, ask Creaghorn how to do it, he's the one who told me. :good:

Louvert, I did consider having medals and promotions handled by humans rather than the game, but decided against it for a number of reasons:

a) It would add very little, if anything, to a non-MP game.

b) Hard work.

c) With pilots dying a lot it would be somewhat pointless.

d) Some people could tend to get pissed off if they felt they'd been slighted.

Best to treat it as it was in reality, dealt with by people far higher up the food-chain than us. The OFF Manager is Sir Hugh Trenchard. :grin:

Rgr that on the Strutters though.

Roger that Siggi, and your points are valid. The promotion idea was only a shared thought.

Cheers!

Lou

I've been out of the loop for a week, Sig- and I've only read through about half of the ten pages of replies in here already - but it sounds like a fantastic idea. I'd love to be in on it, British side, flying the Pup, Tripe, and Camel in that order.

Not that I'd last long. Without Track IR, I imagine I'll be fodder for the AI... but what the heck.

CW

Lou, I always had the feeling, that the sim promotes quite intelligent.

It seems to give medals for many kills, whilst it promotes pilots,

who fullfilled their duties and tasks.

(So I mostly only got medals - Lol!)

Welcome as an opponent, Canvas Wing, not enemy.

Now the British are two more. Anyone join the Germans? Still time.

BRITISH

RAFLouvert

Siggi

cptroyce

Manuc

Ras

Dej

RedDog

Carrick

Stiffy

Hoghead

Macklroy

British_eh

Canvas Wings

GERMANS

Olham

Creaghorn

Baldric

Mr.Lucky

Rickitycrate

Velvet

Rooster89

77Scout

Hasse Wind

VonGuber

Blue781

Edited by Olham

Am I being dense?... I cant fint 2 RNAS. I have one that says RNAS-2 but when i select that dossier says B sqaudron 1 RNAS... where is it?

ahh nevermind worked it out!

here a quick way how to set the day without time advancing.

when you create a pilot, leave BHAH and open this folder:

D:\Programme\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields\campaigns\CampaignData\Pilots

every new created pilot has a dossier file, named pilotxDossier. find the apropriate one and open it. it should look like below. the red marked lines are the current date. day, month and year. change it to the right data and save it. when you now enter the campaign again you'll be at the date you have typed in. it will automatically put you to the right airfield with the right assigned aircraft and so on. don't be afraid, you won't brake anything. just don't touch any other figures.

Britain

RNAS-3

Flight Sub-Lieutenant

Daniel

Creaghorn

Null

Null

Null

Null

Null

Null

Null

Null

Null

C Sqn 1 Wing RNAS.bmp

Fighter

In Service

Flight Sub-Lieutenant Daniel Creaghorn joined C Sqn 1 Wing RNAS in the Spring of 1916. Initially based at the airfield of St-Pol-sur-Mer, Creaghorn set out to help achieve victory for Britain.

Flight Commander;Simon;Frehley;2;0;In Service

Flight Commander;Larry;McAulley;1;0;In Service

Flight Lieutenant;Lance;Clapp;0;0;Injured

Flight Lieutenant;Justin;Bodley;0;0;In Service

Flight Lieutenant;Roland;Rast;0;0;Missing

Flight Commander;Ethan;Carey;0;0;In Service

Flight Lieutenant;Robert;Lewis;0;0;In Service

Flight Lieutenant;Eric;Rowley;0;0;On leave

Flight Commander;Nicholas;Bathurst;0;0;In Service

Flight Commander;Ken;Coombs;1;0;In Service

Flight Commander;Greg;Whiting;0;0;On leave

Flight Lieutenant;Ian;Chickering;0;0;In Service