Sign in to follow this  
appraiserfl

Whats the music for this game?

Sorry if this is an obvious question, I am a bit lazy sometimes, but what is the Music/Soundtrack for this game? I absolutely love it, it is soooo nice to boot this game up and hear the soundtrack, versus say IL2 Sturmoviks nightmarish toons.

Anyway, I would like to find the theme song and more related music. Thanks!

Well, you should google for the composer, Matt Milne, who wrote the most of the music,

like the heroic opening tune. There is a website where you can hear more of his stuff, but

I forgot the link.

There is one classic theme being used, Samuel Barber's "Adagio forStrings, Opus 11" - that's the

very melodramatic piece. It was, as far as I know, played on the burial of Manfred von Richthofen.

Edited by Olham

lol was just typing the answer but you beat me too it! :)

Adagio for strings is a fantastic piece of music (I think Homeworld was the first time it was borrowed for a computer game).

Personally I like the choral version by the kings college cambridge choir (think this was the one used in homeworld)

Even more moving than the string version in my opinion.

Matt Milne has a page on Soundclick where you can check out his other work. It was a lucky break for OFF, IMO, to have him compose the theme.

Link Here: Matt Milne's Page

Matt Milne has a page on Soundclick where you can check out his other work. It was a lucky break for OFF, IMO, to have him compose the theme.

Link Here: Matt Milne's Page

Thanks gentlemen! I really appreciate it!

It's a classic...and suits OFF to a tee!...very atmospheric...and I often find my self whistling it when out with the Dogs

If I recall rightly, the string version of the Adagio (played by the Vancouver Symhony Orchestra) was also the theme for the movie 'Platoon'

Yes, it was indeed used in Platoon. I actually have a funny story dealing with this. Ok, so where I and 7 other of my flight mates are quartered here (Afghanistan), we only have sheet plywood walls seperating our 8'x8' rooms, and as such, one can hear almost everything in his neighbors room. I play OFF when I get the chance, and sometimes watch the preview movies just for kicks and to listen to the score. Well, of course for those of us that play, we all know that Adagio plays immediately after Matt Milne's score, and if you are like me, have come to attribute this with OFF anytime you hear it. Well, my buddy next door happened to have Adagio on his laptop and would play it from time to time, and I could hear it. For the longest time, I didn't know if he was checking out previews for the game, playing a copy somehow or what. So one day after many many weeks of this, I heard him playing that tune and I poked my head in the door to ask him what he was listening to. He informed me that it was Adagio as he had heard from Platoon and I explained that it had me scratching my head because it sounded exactly like when I was booting up my game. He gave a listen to the intro music, and sure enough, we confirmed that it was indeed the same score included at the end. Any who, we both had a good chuckle, and I now know that Adagio was used for the movie Platoon as well.

I often find myself humming Matt's "Opening Title", which I find rather optimistic

and honouring the pilots somehow - it fits incredibly well.

It hasn't worn off on me after hearing it so often.

lol, that's the idea. i wanted something that could be played repeatedly and not become too boring, something that was powerful but neither too bombastic or too somber, and something that was familiar without being derived from other pieces, or sounding like it was trying to be something else. Finding the middle ground was an interesting challenge.

Original music is a crucial part of a good game, as most developers know. but the key to that is getting the composer to write something that doesn't sound as if it should be played in an elevator, or in an advert, something that's atmospheric without needing to be shoved to the background, and that's not an easy thing for a project manager or music director to achieve.

So i was very lucky to get the opportunity to write some music for off. the dev team did a great job and provided a lot of good inspiration.

If ever Peter Jackson will make a WW1 air combat movie (and he's collecting the aircraft already!),

your 'Over Flanders Fields theme' would well be a worthy theme for the opening titles.

lol, that's the idea. i wanted something that could be played repeatedly and not become too boring, something that was powerful but neither too bombastic or too somber, and something that was familiar without being derived from other pieces, or sounding like it was trying to be something else. Finding the middle ground was an interesting challenge.

Original music is a crucial part of a good game, as most developers know. but the key to that is getting the composer to write something that doesn't sound as if it should be played in an elevator, or in an advert, something that's atmospheric without needing to be shoved to the background, and that's not an easy thing for a project manager or music director to achieve.

So i was very lucky to get the opportunity to write some music for off. the dev team did a great job and provided a lot of good inspiration.

Well, you achieved yours and their objective Matt. It's an awesome and atmospheric piece. Indeed, they all are, not just the main theme. Any chance of you writing some more, maybe to accompany (excuse the pun) the expansion packs?

I agree, fabulous piece and certainly achieves the goals and invokes thought too as one gets ready to meet the skies. Salute.gif