Sign in to follow this  
carrick58

Pratice Flight for the upcoming Campagin

Yeah, let's put this guy on Team France, hehe. Just kidding. Good thing your trees are sparse.

Nice pic, Carrick. "Practice makes perfect" it has been said. And I need lots of practice

Nice pic, Carrick. "Practice makes perfect" it has been said. And I need lots of practice

You and me both mate..

I still need to try those two seaters..

But I feel that will definatly be joining the 20minuiters

:D

Carrick, your second craft is a Hannover, isn't it? Does it also have an engine block

for toasting the pilots face in front of him?

I tried the DFW today, but we didn't meet any enemies. I found that I could use the

gunsight F6 still. It unables the TrackIR view; you have to switch back three times.

Might be operational, but the normal forward view is very poor.

Carrick, your first pic looks a lot like my first couple of test pilots. drinks.gif I'm getting the hang of the DFW, but when I went back to the Halberstadt to test fly it once again, I realised that I need a lot of practice in it. I was shot down very fast when we got bounced by some N17s that snuck in out of the clouds...I could hear 'em, but not see them.

How do you direct your wingman/flight when you can't utilise the TAC for DiD?

I had one of those "landing incidents" as well. It followed my first practice mission (a scramble, no less) and involved some fellow named McCudden.:dntknw:

Question: With DiD settings, are those sorts of landings survivable? I havent' done DiD since phase 2, so don't recall.

Yes, that engine block does make things a bit difficult, but I found the DFW manageable. But I use TrackIR. I lean to the left on landings and takeoff. I find it easy to grease it in on the field. Also, I have to use the gunsight view combat but always have to try and engage the enemy using right turns to keep him in view. I may map a button on the joystick for it and the compass view as well. I wish I could figure out where it is on the plane. Didn't know it had a bombsight. Last mission, my wingmen, observer and I dispatched 3 Sopwith 1 1/2's and I dropped the bombs I was carrying on a row of planes at a British airfield. Not a bad day for a 2 seater.

Have made that decision now - it will be the DFW.

Hannover wasn't yet in service at that time, and Roland is damn tricky to start and land.

Pappy, with that avatar, you look like you should join our 'Elitegruppe' in Siggi's Full DiD?

(Pappy like 'Pappy' Boyington, the 'Black Sheep'?)

drinks.gif DFW is the only logical kite. heavy and slow. Olham; yes its a hanover they fly nicer. does anyone know a way to control the wingmates while under DId ?

Lucky, you can access the bombsight using F7....its more like a hole cut into the bottom of the fuselage and you have to use the bombing technique of TLAR as there are no gradations/cross hairs. To get out of bombsight view takes a bit of dancing I found. The only way I could get out was hit F6 (compass/panel/gunsight view) and cycle through it until you get back to 'virtual cockpit view'.

Really liking the DFW actually, which is a good thing as I think I'll be in one for quite some time grin.gif

Edited by Baldric

Baldric: does anyone know a way to control the wingmates while under DId ?

Well, you can still use the orders "split", "attack", "help" and "rejoin".

The only thing you can't do, is to advise a specific target to the wingmen.

Or at least that's what I think.

Creaghorn - how do you do it?

I always fly full-DID and hate the TAC with a vengence, but even a die-hard like me has to flip on the TAC for a few seconds if i am going to tell wingmates to attack a ground target. Can't be avoided sometimes. If you keep it to a few seconds of 'TAC on' I think nobody will quibble, but maybe others have a better work-around?

I always fly full-DID and hate the TAC with a vengence, but even a die-hard like me has to flip on the TAC for a few seconds if i am going to tell wingmates to attack a ground target. Can't be avoided sometimes. If you keep it to a few seconds of 'TAC on' I think nobody will quibble, but maybe others have a better work-around?

If it has to be done it has to be done.

Have made that decision now - it will be the DFW.

Hannover wasn't yet in service at that time, and Roland is damn tricky to start and land.

Pappy, with that avatar, you look like you should join our 'Elitegruppe' in Siggi's Full DiD?

(Pappy like 'Pappy' Boyington, the 'Black Sheep'?)

My screen name is just a coincidiance.. back when I got the interweb foir the first time I randomly chose it and its stuck with me for 12 years. At the time I did even know about that ace named Pappy :)

Elitegruppe? I can bearly hold my own in a dogfight against the AI on veteran and somtimes I get lucky on Ace.; I am getting better thought trying to learn the Dicta Boekle and its saved me abit. I just really need to know how to do all them fancy manovers when it matters. My weakness is I find it hard to maintain the speed and energy my turniung too much. I hate it when then SE5a's do that nasty vertical move. A mentor would be nice. I can fly and land ok it is just air combat skills I lack.

I keep it on, It is much harder in games to maintain situational awareness even with a track ir. it makes you no less resiliant to enemy fire.

I keep it on, It is much harder in games to maintain situational awareness even with a track ir.

That's why it's forbidden in DiD (but if it has to go on long enough to give wingmen orders we won't make a song and a dance about it :cool: ).

Pappy, you seem to be rather a rookie to this.

Well, I will try to give you some good advice, and your comrades will surely do

the same.

Remember UncleAl's best line: the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.

Okay?

For Pappy and everyone else who wants to refresh it:

Here is the Dicta Boelcke.

Written by the first German ace of air combat, it is still true today. Below you find a link to it in Wikipedia.

There are more detailed instructions to each point. Please read them patiently, and try to make

them your "automatic knowledge".

DICTA BOELCKE

1.Try to secure the upper hand before attacking. If possible, keep the sun behind you.

2. Always continue with an attack you have begun.

3. Only fire at close range, and then only when the opponent is properly in your sights.

4. You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent, and never let yourself be deceived by ruses.

5. In any type of attack, it is essential to assail your opponent from behind.

6. If your opponent dives on you, do not try to get around his attack, but fly to meet it.

7. When over the enemy's lines, never forget your own line of retreat.

8. Tip for Squadrons: In principle, it is better to attack in groups of four or six.

Avoid two aircraft attacking the same opponent.

Here is the Dicta Boelcke with more detailed instructions:

http://en.wikipedia....i/Dicta_Boelcke

Edited by Olham