Sign in to follow this  
navychief

A True Story....

The following situation actually happened:

I was the CPO on duty one night on Guam, with VQ-1, when the duty office received a phone call from a squadron members wife.

She wanted to speak to her husband about sending his paycheck home.

The Assistant Duty Officer (ASDO) told her that her husband was away on a flight, and wouldn't be back on base for several hours.

All of a sudden, the ASDO handed me the phone, and started laughing hysterically!

I took the phone, told the woman I was the Duty Officer, and asked if I could help her.

She calmly asked, "Yes, could you please leave a message for my husband to FAX his paycheck to me?"

I managed to keep a straight face while I told her that I would relay the message to her husband.

True story.

Kinda scary, actually. I think they actually have kids too. Whew!

Navy Chief

Those are two of most british looking people ever! And great story!

Cheif,

We had an ASDO that got bored on mid watch, 2330-0330 to every ony else,

and went out with BB-gun and sniped the Mud Ducks sleeping on the canal next to the Hanger. The CMC caught him and wrote him up. When asked why his response was that "they were Commies diguised as Mud Ducks" and he had saved the squadron by killing ten of them.

Gotta say one thing, though. When ISN'T a mid watch boring?

Heh, heh, heh....

I don't miss standing watches, that's for certain.

Navy Chief

You can say THAT again chief. I will say I kinda liked bein on the bridge as BMOW when underway though. The nites at sea were usually beautiful. Loved watchin the phospherescent wake and the stars. It was also kinda fun to walk back and check the after lookout and pop him on the back of the head if I caught him dozing, hehe. Did it more than once... ;)

To quote an old SNL parady;

"The Navy, it's not job, it's $96.35 a week."

The wierdest thing that happened on one of my watches was in Pearl Harbor. I had to stay at our Maint Control space at the end of RIMPAC. It was on the second deck of the old fire station/control tower on Ford Island. As we had weapons in the makeshift armory I had my trusty .45 and settled in for the night. About 2 am. this sailor comes throught the spaces and I challenged him. He looked right through me and kept on his way, passing through the closed door to the stairwell and heads. I went after him but he was nowhere to be found.

I told one of the other AO's about it and he said he saw the same guy. Later we found out that to ar three of the other watchstanders had the same expiriance. All I know is that Ford Island is one spooky place late at night.