Sign in to follow this  
DarthRevan

A question about thirdwire version specific mods.

I wonder: How well does version specific mods works in a merged SF2/SF2E/SF2V/SF2I enviroment?

I also wonder how well Thirdwire series works with Windows 7 because I thinking to get Windows 7 I also posted the same question on SimHQ but the answer seems to come earlier here.

Edited by DarthRevan

The series 2 sims (SF2, SF2V, etc.) were written with Vista and Windows 7 in mind. They can make use of DX10 (advanced shaders), and they take advantge of the "saved games" folder path, that was intro'd with Vista.

Edited by Fubar512

im interested in the game specific mod issue myself. i wont be getting SF2I until i get home in jan or feb and honestly have no plans to get SF2 or V. i know blasphemy but im more into the war that coulda been in western europe. however im already seeing aircraft specifically for SF2I and wonder if they would work in SF2E. if i understand right the mods for earlier releases will work but what about later releases?

im interested in the game specific mod issue myself. i wont be getting SF2I until i get home in jan or feb and honestly have no plans to get SF2 or V. i know blasphemy but im more into the war that coulda been in western europe. however im already seeing aircraft specifically for SF2I and wonder if they would work in SF2E. if i understand right the mods for earlier releases will work but what about later releases?

Technically, all the 2 gen models will work in any 2 gen title (SF2,2V,2E,2I), but a model may require title-specific files such as entire cockpits, or specific cockpit gages, that are only contained within the catalog files of that specific game.

Here's my setup.

SF2 + SF2V + SF2E + SF2I merged.

SF2E separate install June 2009b.

In my mod folders (Saved Games) I have:

1) StrikeFighters 2 (with addional planes, unlocked red planes, Red Wings Over Dimar Campaign, SF2I "Fly them all" Six Day war mod)

2) StrikeFighters 2 Vietnam (using the All-in-One Ground War mod)

3) StrikeFighters 2 Europe (NF4+)

Running SF2 exe will make use of the StrikeFighters 2 mod folder. I can play any stock campaign and stock terrain here from any game and fly all the planes in the mod directory. More toys for the mercenaries. :D

Running SF2 V exe will make use of the StrikeFighters 2 Vietnam folder. Here I can play the All-in-One Ground War mod with both North and South Vietnam maps.

Running SF2 E exe (from different install directory - not part of the merged install) will make my play NF4+. This was required because SF2I broke 3rd party terrains (latest patch fixed this). I dunno if I will use the same scheme as SF2 V. But looks like the modders are maintaining on keeping compatibility up to June 2009b patch only.

In a merged install, you can actually put them all in the main SF2 mod folders but this makes maintaining massive mods (NF4+ and the Vietnam All-in-One Ground War Mod) more difficult especially when they release patches... so I keep them separate.

Edited by jomni