Sign in to follow this  
wonderwarthog

Setting convergence of guns

Haw! Of course two guns---you can't have convergence of fire with one gun! The default convergence looks to be huge. I prefer 50 yards.

I am afraid you do not understand what "convergence" is. This is setting an intersection point ahead of the aircraft for multiple guns' bullets to intersect to cause the maximum damage. Convergence is not an aiming point.

Meat or Metal ! meaning failure to pump a few bullets into pilot, the engine, or the fuel tank, you could have a very non-productive day. As the Aircraft itself is mostly canvas stretched over a wooden frame

Where is the fuel tank located on most of the planes?

Convergence is set in the .XDP files in each aircraft's folder - but editing them will likely break it's use in the OFF manager. Mostly it makes not much difference at all I tried it at 50 100 and 150 and couldn't tell. Glad you like the sim Wonderwarthog

Fuel tank locations vary, sometimes near the engine, sometimes behind the pilot, sometimes UNDER the pilot seat ;). Sometimes on the wing, or secondary ones are there(Se5a, DH5 etc).

N28 has two tanks, one in front of the pilot in the cockpit on the right, and one nearer the engine..

I'm fond of the beautiful engineering of the emergency fuel tank at the center point of the upper wing on the DH2. No cause for concern that a bullet strike there, might shower the pilot with aviation fuel.

Marvelous design actually, gravity feed to the engine should the main tank, be shot full of holes

It prooved to be a popular feature with all the British Pushers

And no doubt the reason the beast came to be called "the spinning incinerator". A few holes in the tank and all that fuel ended up showering the engine.

Convergence, as has been pointed out, wasn't a significant factor when the guns sat shoulder width apart to begin with. It became much more so between the wars when aircraft engineering made it possible for the wings to carry the weight of fuel tanks and two to four machine guns (and their ammunition) on each side, forcing the guns to be as much as 20 to 30 feet apart.

As for what to aim at, I use von Richtofen's rule, "Aim for the man, not the machine." The only truly vital places on these planes are all concentrated around the cockpit. If you aim at the pilot...and aim well enough...you're sure to hit something he would rather have left unhit.