Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

OT What Job do you do?

Im a musician and between gig I work at a guitar center. Been playing guitar in bands for about 39 years now. Mostly Roadhouse stomp and blues stuff. I have done pretty much every style of music in those years.

WHen I had to make ends meet here and there I was in the IT world doing Server Upgrades and Support for boring and the Feds at times... but only as long as I had to... hate the feds as a boss.

If you want to hear some of the original work we do feel free to drop by and check it out

http://www2.mixposur...elLee/music.php

I play the guitar, sings, write, produce and manage the band.

I also have one of the strangest schedules and can be online at strange hours flying when im not writing , playing or at GC during the day.

Hey Firecage, check this out!

http://www.ridgeinstruments.com/

http://www.southboundmule.com/

My older brother Darrel.

CJ

Edited by Cameljockey

Worked some rather odd jobs through high school and college: tour guide, meter reader, repo man, oilfield worker, etc. Started out in college with an NROTC scholarship and the rank of midshipman but resigned that when my ship nearly blew up one night. So I got married, joined the Marine Reserve, and put The Bitch through school before going back myself. Did a lot of ancient computer stuff in college but finally graduated after 8 years as an engineer and got a job with Vought Aircraft building new planes.

Then The Bitch left, I got called up for Desert Storm practically the next day, came back and got laid off from both Vought and the USMC due to the "peace dividend" at the "end" of the Cold War. Got a job rebuilding old airplanes but that company sucked so I went to law school. Came out of that just in time for tort reform to keep me from getting a steady job, although I worked parttime for other lawyers.

So next I became a firefighter and eventually specialized in various types of technical rescue. After about 8 years, I needed a break from all the death and destruction so drove 18-wheelers all over the US for a few years, then went back to firefighting for a while, but I was getting too old for it. So now I work for Storm Eagle Studios with Norm Koger and Jim Rose making war simulations. But that doesn't pay enough in today's world, so I also deliver packages for FedEx 2 days a week.

I am a naval architect. I work for a french company, in charge of technical consulting, leading a team of six engineers. We design new ships, we convert old ones (in paper that is not actually cutting and welding them), we inspect the work we designed while being built, we inspect ships and generally do all kind of technical work on ships. It is quite rewarding and you get to travel quite a bit.

I am also trying to finish my PPL, but that will remain a hobby.

Nice thread!

I used to work at a 'Mom and Pop' hobby shop all through high school. Enjoyed that for the most part since I was big into military modelling, and still am. I had always had my sights set on an aviation career, particularly a pilot. Thought about joining the USAF, but saw they were over strength as it is and even slimmer chance of becoming a pilot there, especially with me not applying myself in school and chasing girls instead. I ended up joining the US Army as a Blackhawk helo mechanic, and after a little over a year of being out of my training and in a maintenance company, I was sent to a flight company and became a Crewchief, which is what I do now. I still may put in a warrant officer packet to become a pilot, but we'll see. I like what I do now most of the time, being able to turn wrenches on my bird while fly at the same time. (Not literally necessarily! lol)

I'm a Medical Technologist. I perform analysis on most any body fluid you can name. Been working for the goverment, VA, for 25 years now.

I worked odd jobs in high school, the typical for the ‘70s. Five and dime stores, gas stations, etc. Joined the US Navy at eighteen on the delayed entry program. Worked in a chemical plant in Houston until I had to go to boot camp. Made a good enough scores on the aptitude tests to get into the nuclear program. Spent the first two years of a six year hitch in various schools, mainly welding. Got out of school a qualified firefighter trained also in nuclear, biological, and chemical warfare, and a qualified nuclear power plant components weldor. Spent 18 months stationed at the Holy Loch Sub base not far from Glasgow. Worked on Poseidon ballistic missile subs and played in a band made up of fellow sailors. I actually played music onstage at the Wembley Country Music Festival in London in ’79 while I was over there. Worked on fast attack subs in Charleston, SC in the early ‘80s. Got out in ’83 and moved to the Hampton, SC area where I was a metal fabricator and machinist for a local fab shop/mechanical contracting company for 20+ years. I can make almost anything out of metal. I’ve built a couple of custom motorcycles and done extensive work on hot rods and mud trucks, not to mention being one of the main architects and builders of the assembly lines at Scotsman Ice Machines of Fairfax, SC, and many, many other projects for local businesses. I’ve also done extensive ornamental ironwork jobs for private citizens and businesses. I would love to find someone with the desire and financial backing to build some WWI aircraft. As far as the metal parts go, I’m your man. I haven’t seen any metal parts on a WWI aircraft that I couldn’t fabricate save the guns, engine, and wheels.

My job now is taking care of my wife who is a quadriplegic and our three year old son who worships the ground I walk on (for now anyway). Four years ago, I was pretty much forced to quit my regular job when the Missus’ health took a bad turn and the “powers that be” told me that I could put her in a nursing home at 35, hire a full time nurse for her while I worked, or quit work and take care of her myself. They didn’t leave me much choice so, since then we’ve lived off of her disability, my music, and the occasional uncontested divorce that we can do for folks who can’t afford a lawyer and want a “do it yourself kit”! I also build and repair computers.

In a nutshell, I’ve got a good woman who loves me, two healthy kids, plenty of good friends (real and virtual) and enough to live off of comfortably, although spartan. Life is good! It’ll be even better when the add on pack comes out!

CJ

Oh, and I can make a mean batch of peanut brittle!

Im a real estate appraiser, been doing it for 8 years and have appraised everything from crackhouses to 200million dollar buildings. Its a career that I kind of fell into, but I really enjoy it. It allows me to set my own schedule and work out of the house. Been self employed for the last four years and there is no way I could ever go back to working for somebody. Once your successful on your own, there is no going back.

I used to do bodyguard work and had the fortune to travel Europe, Asia, and South America several times. Was working for a rich young playboy, that was more than a handful to protect, he had a habbit of getting so drunk that he could barely stand and would decide to pee wherever he was...usually under the bar he was drinking at, ahh that habbit of his almost cost us several limbs in Cambodia, Vietnam and Colombia lol.

Edited by appraiserfl

ok here goes lol, graduated schoold early (mid year of my senior year was 16) 2 days later had father sign permission for my enlistment into usmc, that was 1985, rather enjoyed haveing lovley ppl from allover the world shoot at me, spent time in central america as an (advisor), tillthe free elcetions in nicuraqua, then they decided to send me to various other places, btw ihate the desert with a passion balkins and africa are jsut as bad to me,what did i do easy i was jsut like the phone compnay long distance reach out and touch someone) meet my lovley wife while inthe service she was a lt cmrd in the navey(love them nurses, funny hting baout this is we grew up only 10 blocck from each other and finally meet as adults, btw my father in law was a 35 year master chief and still hates me becuase his baby girl gave up her commision to marry me, dosent bother him that i was enlisted was jsut a $%^^%$& jarhead) lol,due a bit of bad luck(guys friendly fire isnt freindly) ledt in 1999 and stayed as an ir till i got my 20 in left as a gunny :) way to go jodie.

came home went to work as a para medic for the local ems service, stayed for 5 years, bought my military time, so ill get to double dip at 62 yeahhhh,

during that moonlited at the local trauma center still work there as the professional flunky(whats that white coat you need a speculm)(geesh i rmeber you when you was a 1 year grad)

have also worked the farm presently have jsut over350 acrs most of it in burly willretire there eventully no electricty, or civilzation ,

help my mother with her bakery buisness, and do the occasion tree climbing and ground work for a freind and his arborist buisness

for ym free time i fly off, and mod the heck out of it even tho im sure the devs dont likeit that much, lol.

build the occasion drag racing riding mower for the kiddos and do custom hot rods for who ever wants them,

basically im retired form real jobs and now i work my slef to death becasue i live with a wife and 3 daughters, and onyl 1 bathroom lol

Edited by stumpjumper

I worked odd jobs in high school, the typical for the ‘70s. Five and dime stores, gas stations, etc. Joined the US Navy at eighteen on the delayed entry program. Worked in a chemical plant in Houston until I had to go to boot camp. Made a good enough scores on the aptitude tests to get into the nuclear program. Spent the first two years of a six year hitch in various schools, mainly welding. Got out of school a qualified firefighter trained also in nuclear, biological, and chemical warfare, and a qualified nuclear power plant components weldor. Spent 18 months stationed at the Holy Loch Sub base not far from Glasgow. Worked on Poseidon ballistic missile subs and played in a band made up of fellow sailors. I actually played music onstage at the Wembley Country Music Festival in London in ’79 while I was over there. Worked on fast attack subs in Charleston, SC in the early ‘80s. Got out in ’83 and moved to the Hampton, SC area where I was a metal fabricator and machinist for a local fab shop/mechanical contracting company for 20+ years. I can make almost anything out of metal. I’ve built a couple of custom motorcycles and done extensive work on hot rods and mud trucks, not to mention being one of the main architects and builders of the assembly lines at Scotsman Ice Machines of Fairfax, SC, and many, many other projects for local businesses. I’ve also done extensive ornamental ironwork jobs for private citizens and businesses. I would love to find someone with the desire and financial backing to build some WWI aircraft. As far as the metal parts go, I’m your man. I haven’t seen any metal parts on a WWI aircraft that I couldn’t fabricate save the guns, engine, and wheels.

My job now is taking care of my wife who is a quadriplegic and our three year old son who worships the ground I walk on (for now anyway). Four years ago, I was pretty much forced to quit my regular job when the Missus’ health took a bad turn and the “powers that be” told me that I could put her in a nursing home at 35, hire a full time nurse for her while I worked, or quit work and take care of her myself. They didn’t leave me much choice so, since then we’ve lived off of her disability, my music, and the occasional uncontested divorce that we can do for folks who can’t afford a lawyer and want a “do it yourself kit”! I also build and repair computers.

In a nutshell, I’ve got a good woman who loves me, two healthy kids, plenty of good friends (real and virtual) and enough to live off of comfortably, although spartan. Life is good! It’ll be even better when the add on pack comes out!

CJ

My hats off to you CJ :salute:

Brothel manager, awaiting my first assignment....grin.gif

Shred you can always run it by hand until you get the proper equipment :heat:

As for me I spent 10 yrs in the Canadian Armed Forces. Then I worked as a Video Tape Editor for the CBC for 5 yrs. Then spent 6 yrs as a machine repair in a tool & die shop. The last 30 yrs I spent as an Electrical Operator, That is I managed the high voltage electrical distribution system in a safe, reliable, & economic manner. I finally had enough of the stress and shiftwork and retired last July. I also manage to umpire about 150 ball games a year up to the university level. And for the past 3 months I have taken a part time position in a mom & pop computer operation. I also enjoy woodworking in my spare time.

CJ I also admire you.

Tony

CJ

Hey CJ your family is in my prayers and thank you for all your years of service!

Wow,

It's really amazing how diverse everyone's work history has been. In a group like this which tends to be a little older I figured most would respond something like "I graduated from high school/college, went to work for xyz for 25+ years and retired." As for myself after graduating high school I attended Universal Technical Institute for automotive repair as I had always enjoyed working on my and my friend's cars. After a year of working on Mom's grocery getters I realized there was a huge difference between working on 500 horsepower street rods and the family station wagon. Joined the Navy and wound up spending 24 years in submarines. After retiring with absolutely no idea what I wanted to do when I grew up, I stumbled upon the Union Pacific Railroad website. I filled out an online application and after a couple years working as a freight conductor I took promotion to engine service. For the last three years I've been working as a through freight engineer. Just like every other red blooded American kid at some point I wanted to be an train engineer and now I are one.

Scott "Hoghead" Dean

I was one of the last conscripts in the Dutch Army, signed for a UN

job and ended up an ambulance driver for the UNPROFOR effort

("Operation Grapple") in Bosnia in 1994. I finished my tour, returned

to society but never found my place. I was diagnosed with severe multiple

PTSD and treated. With that background (and the way people in Holland see

veterans and servicemen with "a screw loose") I never found a job, until

someone with connections helped me.

Nowadays I work at the library of the Royal Netherlands Defence Academy in

my home town Breda.

It is not a paid job (I receive a disability check) but it prevents me from

getting isolated from "the real world ™".

Gives me the feeling I am part of my old organisation again,

which helps my self respect and gives me a sense of usefulness.

Muesli

Edited by Muesli

Thanks guys. I really appreciate that, but I'm not doing anything that any one of you wouldn't do given the same set of circumstances, "for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health".

Appraiserfl, no problem, it was my pleasure.

One of the most awesome sights I have ever seen, first hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxyMzR9K1Dk&feature=player_embedded

I started to list everything I've done over the years, but it sounded too much like bragging. Let's just say I'm a bit of a renaissance man and leave it at that. :salute:

At the moment I'm working as a Development Engineer for a company that makes accessories and chemicals for the concrete construction industry.

Oh come on, don't be a wuss, indulge us!

My job history is quite boring...those who have gone into business for themselves or have changed jobs willingly and repeatedly sound much more interesting!

FC

Oh come on, don't be a wuss, indulge us!

My job history is quite boring...those who have gone into business for themselves or have changed jobs willingly and repeatedly sound much more interesting!

FC

My wife of 31 years and I have 2 daughters, 2 sons, 1 granddaughter, and 3 grandsons

She's a Breast Cancer Survivor, and I have early onset Macular Degeneration (my older brother went blind by the time he was 58)

My work history is:

University of Connecticut - Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering and Materials Engineering (Dual Degree Program)

US Army - Ordnance Corps - Ammunition Logistics - Conventional and Special Weapons

University of Connecticut - Masters in Metallurgy

Amphenol Bendix - Electrical Connectors - Senior Metallurgist

Rogers Corp. - Engineered Materials - Researcher, Project Manager, Process Area Leader, Technical Sales and Marketing

Mound Flexible Circuits - VP of Operations and Technology

Bourton Group - Manufacturing Consultant to Lucas Varity, Arvin Meritor, Gecom, Ingersoll Rand - Hussmann, Caterpillar, and DME

Dayton Superior Corp. - Concrete Construction Accessories and Chemicals - Value Engineering Manager, Plant Manager, Senior Development Engineer, Corp. Metallurgist, Project Manager

and then there's...

Book Collector (>4500), Cyclist (Motobecane Le Champion), Watercolor Artist, Glacier Mountaineer, Aviator (Luscombe Seaplane), Computer Programmer, Simulation Modder (Panzer Elite, Fighter Squadron - WWI, Steel Beasts Pro PE, T34 vs Tiger, CFS3, IL2), Photographer, Chef, Poet, Singer, Musician, Author, Teacher, Cross Country Skier, Marksman (Gold Schutzenschnur), Orienteering Competitor, Grant Nature Center Naturalist, Motivational Speaker, World Traveler (48 States + 15 countries) and of course State Certified Landfill Operator (CT)

Edited by MajorMagee

Guest British_eh

So, my achievements seem small compared to some here....................

Paramedic - land based (Ambulance) and Airevac( Kingair 350 aircraft), instructor/clinical education practitioner for the Justice Institute of BC - Primary, and now Advance Care Paramedic Programs.

The latest is fitting in a stint for a private Medical Company who provide Paramedics for remote work sites. Currently I'm 150 km North of Fort Nelson, BC, Canada, where we've just had 8 inches of snow, at minus 4 C.

Was going to retire early,but find out that I will have to work another 7 years at least, as my wife is 10 years younger than myself, ( seemed like a good idea at the time,) and we won't do well on one pension.

Best thing that has happened, meeting my wife. Second best - a flight in a WWII Grumman Navy Biplane Trainer. Third best - last trip to Europe with my kids.

Cheers,

British_eh

I"m surprised at the number of smoke-eaters and roadside brain surgeons there are here. I figured I'd be the only one to own up to those jobs.

Good points: it's the next best thing to combat.

Bad points: it's the next best thing to combat.

So, wipe the blood and soot off your faces and have a drink with me drinks.gif

IT System Administrator. (for the chicks)

As Murat had engraved on his sabre, "La gloire et les femmes!"