Sign in to follow this  
Vidken

Is windowed mode possible?

I did a lot of searching around and experimenting, but I can't seem to get windowed mode to work for OFF.

I've found that CFS3 itself supports windowed mode by adding -window to a shortcut to cfs3.exe, although that doesn't work out to well for OFF since it leaves out the manager, which is critical. Adding -window to a shortcut to the manager doesn't work either.

The only program I've found which forces games to run in windowed mode is DXwnd, but I couldn't get it to work despite following the instructions to the letter.

I can't find any windowing options in the manager, configuration for resolution, graphics settings, override settings, or in the XML files themselves in the OFF directory.

I realize windowed mode isn't really an intended function of OFF, and OFF runs perfectly for me otherwise (in fact, it's a blast). However, it would be useful in the context of broadcasting my flights via uStream, such as I've done for Black Shark and OpenFalcon. The reason why windowed mode is important is that the output for most games flicker on the stream if they run in full-screen mode, but render properly in windowed mode (even if the window is stretched to fill the entire screen).

In any case, I just got OFF recently, and I wanted to state in this (as my first post) that it's been downright addicting. The open cockpits of these aircraft feel like a better environment for TrackIR than any other. I've managed to (barely) survive a couple campaign missions so far, and it's been good fun. :D

Well I'm afraid but I've never tried it to play in windowed mode. So I won't be able to answer you.

But welcome to the forums and to our community. :drinks:

Edited by Von Paulus

Hi,

dont think there is a solution to getting the game to run in windows mode.

as a result of players not being able to jump out of the game with alt-tab, (ie..forget to start trackir..or something else)...its been looked into before, and no one has come up with a solution.

but,,if you ever do get ustream and this game squared away, be sure to post it, cause that sounds like a great idea!!

Hello,

"I've found that CFS3 itself supports windowed mode by adding -window to a shortcut to cfs3.exe"

Please can you be more explicit. I would like to run CFS3 in window mode.

Thanks in advance

Hello, I've found that CFS3 itself supports windowed mode by adding -window to a shortcut to cfs3.exe Please can you be more explicit. I would like to run CFS3 in window mode. Thanks in advance

Certainly. Find CFS3.EXE in the directory where CFS3 is installed, right-click on it, and select "Create Shortcut". Right-click on the shortcut and click on "Properties". At the end of the Target field add -window, so it looks like this:

"C:\OBDSoftware\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields\CFS3.EXE" -window

The above is just an example. I've never installed CFS3 by itself, so I don't know what the default directory is, but the point is to put -window at the very end after the quotation marks.

Hit OK and use the shortcut to launch CFS3.

It's probably best to set up the intended resolution in the game before running it in windowed mode.

Just Curious . . seeing as most folk want to increase their vision by getting Humongus Monitors, or 3 screen numbers, while the more frugal experiment with pilot position within the pit itself. The only reason I can come up with, is to Listen to Musical Score while otherwise occupied. Surely there's other ways to accomplish that

I did explain why in the original post.

interesting about the -window mode..

tried it, (on cfs3mp.exe) and started the game from the shortcut, and got a windowed game. But, started up off, went to mp (which invokes cfs3mp.exe, not cfs3.exe) and got the non windowed game......

but still..could always start from the shortcut.

not sure what the pratical applications of the game and ustream might be. makes sense its more fun to play the game rathter than watch someone play, but am still interested in learning more about it.

If you have any quick start pointers for ustream would appreciate knowing them.

already signed up for an account,,( i assume this is free,,,,lol)

Nothing we can do as users. For OFF to support windowed mode, the OFF developers would have to add an option to pass the -window flag when the OFF manager launches CFS3.exe. Probably wouldn't be very hard for them to do, but it's likely pretty low on their priorities list.