Sign in to follow this  
sandbagger

Nieuport N.24

Hi all,

Thought you might to see just some of the Nieuport N.24's coming your way soon. These are a few examples of the aircraft from French units.

post-15340-12569314448769.jpg

post-15340-12569314524036.jpg

post-15340-12569314601394.jpg

post-15340-1256931471179.jpg

post-15340-12569314825999.jpg

post-15340-12569314920308.jpg

That's a very, very pretty plane.

I do hope that this thread presages the next release of aircraft. I would personally prefer to see AWK8s, early Alb 2 seaters and a plethora of other mid/early war aircraft, but I do understand if the N28 is released, even if it's of marginal historical value. I realise that OBD have to keep the American market happy before other considerations.

Beautiful plane. My 2nd fave Nupe after the 28 :).

I do hope that this thread presages the next release of aircraft. I would personally prefer to see AWK8s, early Alb 2 seaters and a plethora of other mid/early war aircraft, but I do understand if the N28 is released, even if it's of marginal historical value. I realise that OBD have to keep the American market happy before other considerations.

I don't think any Americans today are any more excited about the N.28 than our forebears were back in the day. Looks-wise, it's IMHO one of the sexiest WW1 fighters, and it WAS used (for a brief period) in an important, formative period of the USAAS. However, we all know that it had tragic flaws that make it rather unattractive as a campaign ride.

So speaking as an American, the planes I'd most like to see are things like FK8s, DH4s, Albatros 2-seaters, Rumplers, CL-types, and French 2-seaters of all types and eras. IMHO, we have quite enough scouts already. I'm definitely not going to pass on all the pretty Nupes and the E.V that have been announced so far, but IMHO what we really need in the campaign are more 2-seaters.

...but IMHO what we really need in the campaign are more 2-seaters.

I second that. :good:

Sandbagger,

These new aircraft are works of art!

Have they been tested in multiplayer? We're still having problems with the Nieport 17 Lewis, both Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutters and the Sopwith Triplane with the twin Vickers.

Vasco :pilotfly:

I've always liked the rounded tail feathers of the 24. Looking forward to the addon.

Scott "Hoghead" Dean

Sandbagger, that is a gorgeous little plane, I can't wait to fly her. The N24 is on the short list of my favorite WWI aircraft. :smile:

Cheers!

Lou

Maybe the OBD guys could make one (or more) expansion packs that contain only new two-seaters? I know I'd be among the first to buy such pack(s).

Fantastic work Mike!

Hasse Wind - time, as always is the problem. We'd love to make the remaining 100 aircraft we need quickly, but we'll get there.

I have a qestion regarding the ailerons of the N24...

The other day, I came across this interesting tidbit:

... One of the main complaints about the earilier Nieuport fighters had been their poor lateral stability. It was hoped that this could be corrected by the addition of canvas fairing strips over the gap between the ailerons and wing. The Nieuport firm reported that "This alteration has given excellent results as regards ease in handling the machines." However, in service it was found that the strip might spring upward, blanketing the airflow over the aileron and interfering with control of the aircraft. When this band was removed it was found that the sluggish lateral control of the Nieuport 24 improved considerably. Ironically, the relatively quick fix to the Nieuport's stability problems that these canvas strips were intended to provide was, in fact, one of the reasons French pilots complained of the Nieuport 24's poor aileron response, unsatisfactory lateral control, and poor landing and turning characteristics. ...

-French Aircraft of the First World War, Davilla and Soltan, page 392-3.

The book goes on to say that the N25 and N27, which were just very slightly modified N24s, also had these strips, at least as they came from the factory. I'd never heard of any of this before. In fact, I'd always heard the V-strutter Nupes were all pretty maneuverable.

So my question is, how long did it take to figure out the problem, and how common was it to remove these strips in frontline service? Will the OFF N24 have them or not? Or is this whole thing bogus and unfounded?

"On August 20 1917, Mons. F. Legros of the Nieuport company wrote to the British Aviation Commission in Paris to advise that it had been found that these strips, in time, remained raised; this produced what Legros opaquely described as, 'a neutral point beyond which the movement is hard, as the aileron pushes against the band.' Curiously, he offered no comment on the adverse aerodynamic effect that these obtrusive fairing strips must have had. The remedy was to remove the offending strips, as No.2 AD had discovered independently: a report dated September 8 1917, from that Depot confirmed that normal lateral control was restored by this simple surgery."

Jack Bruce, in Nieuport Fighters Volume 2

"On August 20 1917.... : a report dated September 8 1917, from that Depot confirmed that normal lateral control was restored by this simple surgery."

OK, so the N24 entered production in early 1917, so that by May 1917 it was the only Nupe fighter being built. Seemingly it was not well-received due to problems with the aileron control caused by the strips, but by late-Aug to early-Sep 1917, they had figured this out and a cure was in hand. Thus, it appears there was a period of at least several months in there when N24s had bad aileron response. Will that be reflected in the campaign?

Also, to confuse the issue, it appears that the N27 didn't come out until 1918. This was identical in game terms to the N24, the only difference apparently being modified landing gear. However, the N27 seems to have come with the strips installed, even though the problem had been noted months before. So, assuming the N27 shows up in the game, would it also revert to crappy roll response or would you assume that field units immediately cut the strips off upon receipt? Or did it just take well in to 1918 for all field units to hear of the solution to the problem and take a knife to the strips?

It's a little unclear when production shifted from the 24 to the 27, but it was certainly in the summer of '17. I don't have any exact dates for the Aviation Militaire Française, but the 27 were certainly in service that summer. The first example of the 27 for the RFC was received from Paris by 2AD on 31.7.17. The RFC accepted six 24.C1, nine 24bis.C1, and seventy-two 27C.1

Cheers,

shredward

Edited by shredward

It's a little unclear when production shifted from the 24 to the 27, but it was certainly in the summer of '17.

OK, I'll take your word for it. But there's still the question of whether the N24/27 will have 2 flight models, one with crappy ailerons and 1 with good ailerons?

Haven't got the tests yet, but I doubt it. I expect we'll get the field-fix version.

shred

Haven't got the tests yet, but I doubt it. I expect we'll get the field-fix version.

Hmmmm. Any chance of talking you call into a "N.24 (early)" ? grin.gif

Wonderful, those crates, and your whole pictures, Sandbagger!

They also show the detail of settings I'll soon be able to fly - that will be better than Christmas!

Modelling new aircraft is a most time intensive work, as you need to build several versions for the

various distances to the craft. And good modellers seem to be hard to find.

So it makes sense to build those aircraft first, which are flown most - the fighters.

Then they will surely make two-seaters, too.

This is a gigantic project with the final result of having the whole air combat of WW1 available -

no less! So let's be patient - it will be grand!

The visuals on these look wonderful, and I'm sure they fly great. Of all the planes yet to come, I look forward to these the most.