Sign in to follow this  
PG_Raptor

Locked?

Just when that thread was starting to get interesting :D No personal attacks were being thrown, no cussing... Why'd you lock it?

To prevent personal attacks and cussing.

There were also just too many topics all in one thread. I'd suggest creating a different thread on each topic....but...they are all subject to the same forum rules. Have fun!

<C>

Fates

I think Fates' timing was pretty good myself.lol

and I agree with ya Fates. Having a political forum is probably bad news. Too many Tree Huggers vs Assault rifle owners. lol ;)

As Bill Murray said in the movie, "Stripes", ....

"That's the fact Jack!"

My sentiments exactly, Seawolf.

Navy Chief

The answer is because "if it's not going your way and you control it lock it up before too much truth comes to light".

Snapple is smarter than and more informed than a lot of people here.

I guess the economy is not so bad for you if your sitting on a govt. retirement check that won't expire until you die. What if those checks got outsourced to India or better yet, cut off like social security in the future because the govt. can't afford it anymore because of current expenditures?

You think you're untouchable too?

All because the govt. mismanaged the money "due to security concerns" and are forcibly trying to exert CONTROL on the entire planet?

If we backed off trying to "influence and control" the planet we wouldn't be dealing with the resentment that is fueling the opposition to us as a nation. Which means we wouldn't need to spend ON CREDIT all this money on DEFENSE and the biggest joke HOMELAND SECURITY!

We simply can't afford the direction that we have taken and if it continues and is not corrected a lot more than Social Security is at stake. Think about it!

Also,

Under Bush 3 million jobs have been lost. That means lost taxes, lost revenue into the economy and another cost on the govt. for unemployment benefits.

Just a thought and I'm back,

Foofighter

The answer is because "if it's not going your way and you control it lock it up before too much truth comes to light". 

Dont threaten me with that bullsh!t. I could care less which way it goes, and attitudes like yours only fuel the hatred dude. Let it go..to another forum.

And this, my friends, is exactly why I don't have a politics forum here, or even like politics to be discussed. All it takes is one person to blow up to take the whole conversation down into the abyss.

I used the Kerry thread as a little experiment to see if I was worrying too much about it and that maybe my attitude toward politics in the forums was wrong. Plenty of you seem to want some sort of open politics forum on the site, and while I am EXTREMELY reluctant to put one up, I thought I would test the waters to see what would happen.

I admit that the conversation was pretty mature and everyone conducted themselves accordingly, but I FULLY support Fates decision to lock it. Why? Because even with the maturity shown so far, it was painfully obvious that the thread was a bomb waiting to go off at any second, and I think most of you would agree. Things were already getting dicey, and I absolutely gaurantee that someone was going to blow, within 2-3 more posts.

Politics and religion are two subjects that I never debate on the internet, as you will NEVER change my mind on my beliefs, nor will I change yours. The only thing left is bad feelings and pissed-off people every time. And that, my friends, goes against the friendly community atmosphere the Fates, I and the rest of the staff strive to provide here. It's what sets us apart from most of the other sim site choices around the web, and I just don't see a single positive benefit to having a Politics forum here.

On a personal note to Foofighter, I have this to say. If this statement was just a knee-jerk reaction to the thread lock, then you owe Fates an apology. He, nor the rest of the Biohaz staff, was not even involved with the discussion in question. To accuse him of locking the thread just to silence possible opposing views was , frankly, an insult. If you know anything about Biohaz, you should know I pride myself on the fact that people can have differing viewpoints here without fear of prejudice from the staff, or even most users.

If, on the other hand, you truly feel that we condone thread locking to silence possible differences of opinion here at Biohaz, then you honestly may want to try out some other forums to see just how bad things can get. Biohaz locks very few threads, as a little browsing through the older threads will attest to. So if you truly feel we do what you accuse, then maybe Biohaz is not the place for you.

I decided that since I made statements that some may want to comment on, or might warrant discussion, I unlocked this thread. ;)

Right. I'm not so sure that it was gonna explode, but, its your forum, I guess you can do what you want with it. At least I know that things will never get out of control here :D (I'm serious bout that, not trying to make some snide remark)

Too many Tree Huggers vs Assault rifle owners. lol ;)

Hey! Wait a minute! Im BOTH!!! :blink:

Im so confused... :D

Perhaps it would be better to let this one die off. After the inflammatory comments by Foo Fighter, it would be quite easy for me to reply in kind; but I won't.

I suppose that is where maturity comes in.

God Bless the USA

NC

I have to add something...if people would have taken time to read what Fates said the reason he locked it was in his first post then alot of people would have been informed as to why and wouldn't have said what they did...Fates said there was to many topics in one thread...so that said why not just post all those different topics in their own thread....Fates,Madjeff,and the rest of the moderators here are no doubt the most laid back on the net...to say that the reason a thread is locked is merely because it can be done is just plain wrong.I have to agree with MadJeff and say if you really feel that way then Cya,I for one won't miss anyone with that attitude.

Wow,

I've been gone for a while but I am surprised that my one response to another post resulted in such a furor.

Sometimes the truth hurts for you guys.

If what I said wasn't true I guess it would not have only revived a previous thread and "unlocked" it and opened a previously "locked" one to boot.

Cya, Dagger?

Because I disagree with you I have an attitude?

NavyChief,

Because I disagree with you my comments are inflammatory? If it's "quite easy for you to reply in kind" please do so. Do it with "Maturity" in mind.

Fates,

I NEVER threatened you so don't accuse me of it, and because my beliefs are different from yours and this site don't accuse me of feuling any hatred.

And finally,

MJ. You are going to blame me as "the one person to blow up and take it down to the abyss"? All I have done is disagree with a position that this site supports!

You also suggest that if I feel that this site supports "thread locking" that I am no longer welcome as a member. The whole argument was a result of political opposition to your views. I feel I have a duty to continue my relationships with the forums in question. Just because I disagree I will not relinquish that access unless I am locked out by you.

Thank You,

Jim Billingsley

I fail to see a position that the SITE supports. As far as threatening me...not me personally...but my actions and decisions as an non-bias administrator on this site. Those acusation of the site staff are unfounded, and will not be tolerated by you or any other member.

Therefore as obvious as the warning shot accross the bow was, take another timeout from posting, while the staff discusses your future....This site doesn't belong to you or your opinions, and we will not let it be dictated by them. I'm not refereing to your political opinions, but your opinions of the staff as being thread lockers, pro-Bush, or any other thing for that matter. You attacked my integrity with your remarks...I will not stand here and give you the opportunity to do that to other members.

Fates

After talking with Fates, we both agree FooFighter needs a little time off from posting. You are more than welcome to come back in a month and your posting privileges will be automatically reinstated.

Foofighter, just a few words. First off, I don't recall I or Fates saying word one about what our political views are, and I know I don't think I've ever spoken about them on this forum. Yet you automatically assume what my political affiliations are. You, and many others would probably be surprised, but quite frankly it's none of your business. Suffice it to say I've NEVER been a person that votes along party lines, and would be damned hard-pressed to tell you if I was Republican or Democrat. Hell, I agree and disagree enough with both sides that regardless of your political membership, you would probably have plenty to argue with me about. :D I'll leave it at this, let's just say I'm not a big fan of ANY of the choices I'm seeing for presidential candidates at the moment.

Now, that being said, you are being given a timeout for your attitudes towards the VOLUNTEER NON-PAID STAFF here at Biohaz, not for your political views whatever they may be. I challenge you to go back through the Kerry thread (the ONLY thread on Biohaz you have ever contributed to BTW, since joining in February 04) and find word one that Fates or I have spoken in regards to any political views express within. You won't find anything, because there WAS nothing.

As for your accusations of locking down threads that we may not agree with, hell if that was the case Snapple buddy (among others) would have been booted long ago for some of the things he's posted. :lol: But instead, he is actually one of my favorite posters on the site, as he almost always brings a smile to my face. Do I agree with some of his views? Hell no, but I think if you ask him he will say he's never been prejudiced against by me or any other staffer here. When he has occasionally been warned, he is mature enough to understand that sometimes a neutral party has to step in and defuse the situation. And for that I respect him (even if he is just a punk kid... ;) I'm kidding Snap...) What I do not respect is the occasional user that screams censorship at the first little perception of disagreement with their views, regardless of the situation.

And don't think I'm singling out Snapple. Who says I agree with some of the views that the old Navy guys around here either? ;) But again, I respect what they have done for this country, and I respect their wisdom that comes with age and situations you and I have never seen or experienced (nor would care to), and again, the maturity they display when discussing things. And yes, a few of them have been warned in the past, and have dealt with it with the same maturity and understanding that Snapple has displayed to me in the past.

So, if you want to play the censorship card, it is your right, but I don't think anyone who's been here for any length of time will see it that way. It's not about views, it's about respect. You may not like us, but this is MY site, not yours, and you WILL respect the staff's requests. or you can go elsewhere. As I stated before, this is a SIM SITE, not a POLITICS FORUM, and ultimately I can request that the staff lock down all political threads if I so choose. Not gonna happen except as a last resort, but if this kind of crap happens every time someone brings up a political topic, then it's not worth hassling with. A year ago, I admit I had a lot more patience to deal with this type of stuff, but after blowouts with Galen Thurber and a few others, that patience has pretty much dried up and blown away. :huh:

So, take a little while to truly think about what I just said. If you can see what I'm trying to convey to you, then after your cooling off period you are more than welcome back. If you don't like it and think I'm a blatent censor, then, quite frankly, you are still welcome back. But if cannot show the staff a little respect for a thankless job well done, then you are best off finding another forum to participate in, as respecting each other on this site is the one rule that I will not bend on.

Think about it.

Too many Tree Huggers vs Assault rifle owners. lol ;)

Hey! Wait a minute! Im BOTH!!! :blink:

Im so confused... :D

hehe, I was thinking about posting the same line, it was just too good to pass up. :D

And finally,

MJ.  You are going to blame me as "the one person to blow up and take it down to the abyss"?  All I have done is disagree with a position that this site supports!

Actually, I did not mean to convey that you were the "one person", and for that I apologize. What I meant was all it takes is for one person to lose it for the whole thread to degenerate in about .5 seconds flat.

You also suggest that if I feel that this site supports "thread locking" that I am no longer welcome as a member.  The whole argument was a result of political opposition to your views.  I feel I have a duty to continue my relationships with the forums in question.  Just because I disagree I will not relinquish that access unless I am locked out by you.

Thank You,

Jim Billingsley!

Crap, it just clicked to me who you are. I went back to my PM's and realized that you were Sluff and Schizo, the person that sent me a rather cryptic message in January asking me to remove you from the site. Normally I don't post private mail from users, but I think in this case I'm going to make an exception.

Hi MJ,

Whenever I go to biohaz's homepage I can't click on anything anymore, it just resends me to the homepage. I think I may have ruined my Login info in both the regular site and the forums. Could it be an invalid cookie in my registry? It only happens when I access biohaz.

I think my info may be corrupt. Could you please delete me as a user and all info associated with my accounts associated with these 3 email addresses?

<email address deleted>

<email address deleted>

<email address deleted>

I apologize for the inconvenience and I will only access biohaz as a guest in the future. I will not try to become a member in the future.

I don't want to put you or me through this again. I realize if I portray any opposing views on your site I will be locked out. Any PM's such as my last to Snapple2993 may be scrutinized and forwarded to uphold that policy and lockout anyone who doesn't agree with the site's politics.

That's OK.

I just want all my member info and any residual contact erased (such as cookies) from biohaz's computer.

As an agreement,

I will never again try to setup an account on biohaz, you all ready have my isp info that allowed you to block me in the first place.

I just want to sever any and all ties with your site and all email associations also.

Please delete Schizo and Sluff from your site.

Thank You,

Jim Billingsley

I sent you a rather long email asking why you felt this way as I could not find anything in the forum that pointed to you having any disagreements with anyone, me included. There were no IP/email/username blocks in place, and I was really confused as to why you would think that was the case, especially since you were able to log on and actually send me a message. You never replied, so I assumed you had decided not to visit Biohaz anymore. I was concerned about it as I didn't want someone to go away feeling like what you had expressed.

So, it would seem we have actually been down this road with you in the past as far as cries of censorship. At least I can see where you are getting it from this time. The funny thing is you state that you didn't want to come back to Biohaz and would not create any new accounts, yet for some reason you decided to come back under another name and start again. Since you obviously are not happy here, maybe you should just move on to greener pastures, as you seem to just want to stir the pot, so to speak.

Oh come on, nobody could ever leave biohaz, its like a small paradise in the plethora of sh*t forums.

Just thought I'd do a little ass kissin :lol:

LOL@Snapple. we may not always agree but you sure are a firecracker and I respect that. S!

My take on FooFighter is this: I don't mind that he disagrees with me and I welcome anyone who has a different take on a situation, but someone who comes in and demands that thier view be given serious attention while not returning the favor to those who oppose them is disrespectful and rude.

On that note I probably owe Snaps a bit of an apology for being a little quick on the draw in the other thread. I'm not one to throw my experiences around as if its some sort of get out of jail free card nor do I need to use my military background as a step ladder to seem better than anyone else. If I came across that way snapple I apologize, it was not my intention.

Politics are a tricky and ugly thing. You only have to watch the upcomming battle between the Democrats and Republicans to see that, but guys like Chief and I base our beliefs on life experiences from a different time period and different place. Many who have traveled to other parts of the world can attest to this. I just love my country and would lay down my life to protect her in a split second if asked to. This isn't about you or I, but it has everything to do with our children and I for one do not want my Children having to worry about riding a bus to school or flying in a plane because some asshole living in a cave does not like who I am because of my color, religion, or political afiliation. Stay strong people and don't give in to fear. God Bless America

(sorry if thats too political Jeff, but once I start writing sometimes I cant stop.lol)

Seawolf, don't worry about it. You guys know my take on discussions around here, as long as everyone stays respectful and there are no personal attacks, pretty much anything goes here. I've said this before, but you guys are a great bunch and usually (usually... ;) ) police yourselves pretty good, so I rarely have to do any warning at all. That's what makes Biohaz great, how great everyone treats each other around here, regardless of viewpoints.

As SlickWili was just pointing out to me, the only time we ever seem to have problems around here is when someone comes in with the attitude that their opinion is the only right one, any opposing view is wrong, and they feel it's their function in life to change all the "wrong" opinions to match their enlightened viewpoint. :rolleyes: Unfortunately, there's ALWAYS one of those type of people around during these types of debate, and that's why we always have to watch these types of threads pretty closely. B)

Anyway, thanks guys for your understanding.

Seawolf,

You expressed things the way I wish I had. Quite often I am not able to put in words the way I feel, but you are very correct about my basing beliefs on life's experiences from a different time and place. You and I both have visited other countries, and have seen their quality of life. So far, I have not been to a place that equals what we have here in the US. Not even close. So I tend to get very defensive when talking about who is wanting to lead this country.

Navy Chief

Seawolf, apology accepted. Oddly enough you and Chief have been abroad, as have I. Although your visits were undoubtedly via the U.S. Navy. And you have seen rather crap places as a result of those trips. My trips have primarily been to the UK and Europe when allowed to join my dad on his meetings with EuroControl, BAE, etc. Toronto, Tiajana, and Nassau Bahamas were just for tourist BS.

You have your thoughts and fears about the not so glamorous places, and have your experiences there. And I have my experiences.

When I questioned your experience or learnedness, it had nothing to do with the election or current issues, merely to do with the statement you made about the Brits controlling things over here some 230 years ago. As a history major, and anti-propogandist (which is what public school is), I was quick to jump the gun on what may have seemed to be a meaningless statement. For that I apologize. But I defend Great Britain in almost all cases, simply because it is my second favorite country, and have learned their past aswell as ours, and their relation. For some reason I consider it my job to correct historical misconceptions (I'm no Ph.D, but what the heck), because I find it to be really really annoying. I can deal with political disputes, because they are almost always nothing more than a difference of opinion, but false history is something I cant let go of. So again, sorry.

And Chief, go to Toronto, its cheap and its like the states, except instead of Denny's and IHOP they have Tim Horton's. No offense to the Canucks on the forum :D .

One last thing. My least favorite country is France, and yes I've been there, let loose on the streets of Paris and Toulousse a number of times, and completely unsupervised. Whats your least favorite country?

Guest Schizo

Hey MJ,

After talking with Fates, we both agree FooFighter needs a little time off from posting. You are more than welcome to come back in a month and your posting privileges will be automatically reinstated.

You locked me out as Foofighter, MJ you compared me with Galen Thurber.

Hey I'm not that bad, I love this country so much that is why I feel the way I do.

Jim

Hey MJ,

You locked me out as Foofighter, MJ you compared me with Galen Thurber. 

Hey I'm not that bad, I love this country so much that is why I feel the way I do.

Jim

OK Jim, now you've really crossed the line. Knowing your posting privileges were suspended, you still took advantage of the fact that I had not locked out your other accounts. This is exactly what I mean about not respecting the requests of the staff, and is why you are on suspension.

Those accounts are now gone, and you can consider this your final warning. Next time you will be banned permanently without warning or discussion. :angry:

Some people just can't seem to grow a clue. :rolleyes:

Ok, this has gone on long enough. The thread was locked, and now, so is this one. We can't have whining threads about every locked thread now, can we gentlemen? Let's get back to our normal posting habits please.

Thank you.

-Skater