Sign in to follow this  
thewoo1

The Call Out

Guys I have had all the WWI Flying sims....Without a doubt the best is OFF hands down..Loved RB3D and the add ons etc.. But do you old timers remember Microprose knights of the sky..The thing I used to like the most was when your reputation as an ace increased you would be subjected to a callout by a great ace..The music would play and you would have to decide whether to have the duel..I know it was total fluff .but I enjoyed it....Did any of you historians ever hear of a callout during the great war

Guys I have had all the WWI Flying sims....Without a doubt the best is OFF hands down..Loved RB3D and the add ons etc.. But do you old timers remember Microprose knights of the sky..The thing I used to like the most was when your reputation as an ace increased you would be subjected to a callout by a great ace..The music would play and you would have to decide whether to have the duel..I know it was total fluff .but I enjoyed it....Did any of you historians ever hear of a callout during the great war

I used to play KoTS back on the Amiga a lot..

Kinda anoying you could not play as the Germans or Americans

Never knew it affected repuation

I might have to get it on the Amiga emulator and have a look again.

I don't ever recall any specific incidents whereas an Ace sought out specifically another Ace to duel. Over the front, it was anyone's game... but I just don't imagine a CO allowing his top pilot to go out alone to specifically drop a challenge to another pilot like that.

I could be wrong, but I don't think it happened. If it did.. very early in the war, and not very often.

OvS

Knights of the sky! I loved that game... wonder if I still have it, still got the amiga in the loft..

Heres a clip of it for nostalgia...

I still have my Amiga too. The callout sounds strictly Hollywood or game stuff. I'm not aware of a RL callout. Could be wrong of course.

Was that only on AMIGA, Stiffy ? I completely missed it!

Here is my favourite one: Flying Corps Gold (I also missed RB3D!):

It was on Atari ST too. I had it, and with it the only time I ever had a letter published in a gaming magazine. I wrote in to say that you could always beat an enemy ace as long as your crate had a higher ceiling. You'd just climb above their height as soon as you left your aerodrome and at the mission destination you'd find them hanging on their props trying to get to you... at which point you could shoot them down easily.

I enjoyed that game a lot. It and 'Their Finest Hour' were the two most played games on my Atari.

Well, it was not exactly an Ace calling out an Ace, but....

Report by Major R S Dallas.

Flew over La Brayelle aerodrome and fired on hangars on South side of aerodrome to attract attention. Dropped a parcel with the following message inside:

"If you won't come up here and fight, herewith one pair of boots for work on the ground. pilot's for the use of."

Then flew into the mist till a party of men had collected to examine the parcel, when two bombs were dropped, one burst being observed near target.

Opened fire with both guns firing about 100 rounds when troops scattered. General panic ensued.

In the field. 3/5/18. P.C.O Ridell, Capt for Major, Commanding No 40 Squadron, R.A.F.

...it certainly WAS an Ace "picking a fight." (and a Squadron Commander "to boot"). Aussie humour. Must have caused much mirth in the mess.

Edited by Check Six