Sign in to follow this  
RAF_Louvert

Oh To Have A Larger Check Book: Original RFC Tunic

It touches my heart in a funny manner, to see the tunics or weapons of men,

who are already dead since a long time. And the jacket he wore is still there,

could be worn again - but who would dare?

Yes, it is funny in an odd, uneasy sort of way, and it gets to me as well Olham to think that these men are many years gone yet their personal items remain. I ponder that very same thing when I use my father's woodworking tools or wear one of his old ties.

The tunic is amazing.

It's very rare to find an original RFC uniform, it is also rare to find any british officers uniform with the early war braided cuffs.... to find a combination of the two is amazing, and in such good condition. From the description looks like the only reason it survived was the pilot was wounded (early pattern tunics are rare as it was unlikely you would make it all the way from 1914 to 1918). From mid way through the war british officers tunics where changed to a patern similar to the one still used today for No.2 Dress uniform.

I just searched Ebay, then Google, for:

- Deutsche Fliegeruniform 1. Weltkrieg

- Deutsche Pilotenuniform 1. Weltkrieg

- German aviator uniform ww1

- German airman uniform WWI

- German pilot tunic WWI

No way! All I found is one maker of rather simple replicas.

One could, of course, get one taylored by the Babelsberg Studio costume tailors.

But I wouldn't dare to ask the price...

Stiffy wrote:

From the description looks like the only reason it survived was the pilot was wounded (early pattern tunics are rare as it was unlikely you would make it all the way from 1914 to 1918).

That may well be Sir, however if all is correct with this tunic we can assume the owner survived until at least April of 1917 as that is when the Mons Star ribbon appeared.

Olham, are you aware of this manufacturer? Replicaters.com

From the looks of their work it would appear they give pretty good quality for a very fair price.

Cheers!

Lou

uncleal, I've been selling and buying on eBay for about three years now and it's amazing what comes along sometimes. This RFC tunic for example, while it does not have a bid on it yet, may well go for way above the starting price. But then you just never know with auctions, that's what makes it so darned exciting.

BTW, you mentioned wing fabric, this is on eBay right now as well: Original German Biplane Fabric

Nahw - that isn't anywhere near it, Lou. Those uniforms like Richthofen's Ulan tunic where made

of very high quality cloth. Many officers those days let them get taylor made, from their own money.

And that cost a fortune.

Also the caps - the real stuff was very good quality.

I have seen one of the tunics they made in Babelsberg Studios, Potsdam, for the

movie "Der Rote Baron". That was of a pretty good quality, very close to the original stuff.

As far as I know, you can even let them taylor a uniform for you there.

But I wouldn't even dare to ask the price...

Now see, that right there is a B-E-A-U-tiful uniform! And Olham, I am sure you are right about it cost WAAAAAY more than the ones from Replicaters. But what the heck, it's only money. :smile:

Lou, here's a funny side I just stumbled across.

http://images.google.de/imgres?imgurl=http://www.kaisersbunker.com/ht/ht45t.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.kaisersbunker.com/ht/evolution.htm&usg=__1K5Fkb2-s6m0M1kvlvkT0e0jyxU=&h=269&w=350&sz=37&hl=de&start=17&tbnid=06jRIzyxPLADiM:&tbnh=92&tbnw=120&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dschirmm%25C3%25BCtze%2Bflieger%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Dde%26sa%3DG

If you read it all, you will see, that back in those days, many individual

designs had been in use. And there where uniform taylors and hatmakers,

who would know, what cloth to be used for this or that uniform.

So they'd order it and taylor and build - each with slightly individual results.

Some where masterpieces - and some didn't look so good.

But man, they had good cloth back then!

Yuppers, I am very familiar with the Kaiser's Bunker website Olham. It has been on my list of reference websites for a long time. Great info and photos.

Cheers!

Lou

Guest British_eh

Great find, if only I had ..........................

When I first got into this, I purchased a new replica cap and scarf, original goggles, collar dog and hat pin. To display the tunic would surely be a treat, and certainly add to the immersion! Unfortunately is about 90% more than I could spare :(

Regards,

British_eh

Olham, are you aware of this manufacturer? Replicaters.com

From the looks of their work it would appear they give pretty good quality for a very fair price.

Cheers!

Lou

Approach this site with caution! Absolutely none of the images are of his own work, all stolen from other websites. I've heard that he does occasionally make a good replica but only if you send an original item for him to work from (he is really just a tailor with no knowledge of uniforms), otherwise his stuff is very inacurate.

If however you havean original you want him to copy he is suppoesed to be a very friendly guy to deal with. Just dont expect to get anything you see on his website just by ordering.

Edited by Stiffy

Here's more "Fodder for your Phantasies", guys. Further down that site, are WW1 aviator goggles, toned.

I suppose, such are very rare now?

http://sammler.com/militaria/

Edited by Olham

Yeah, Stiffy, that looks much more like the real stuff.

I am really thinking of getting me an "Officer's shirt" - not for costuming, but just

because it looks good and well made and practical.

Thanks for the heads-up Stiffy, and for the link to Sutlers. Their work looks outstanding!

Olham, thanks to you as well for the link to that German site. They have some beautiful items for sale there, and some of the prices look quite reasonable.

Cheers!

Lou

Lou: They have some beautiful items for sale there, and some of the prices look quite reasonable.

Your wife may see that differently? :grin: