Sign in to follow this  
Siggi

Anyone still on the fence about buying this sim?

Oldham - does that really come from "old ham", or is the "ham" here rather an ending for towns

or villages, like in Nottingham? (Rather the latter, I suppose).

More random trivia from Stiffy! This comes from the Oldham Advertiser..

"Oldham, comes from Aldhulm, a name which we find recorded in ancient times for our town. The 'hul' part is Scandinavian and simply meant high ground with a moss or low ground around it. The first part is said, by very wise scholars, to be a personal name, though this varies from Alda to Eald depending on which book you look at.

Some other variations on the Town's name found back in time include: Aldhome (Saxon times); Oldome (1366); Oldum (1400s); Oldhum (1600); and Ouldham (1600s)."

So an Scandinavian lord (thats vikings to most people!) called Eald settled on a hill, so roughly means Eald's Hill.

Hmm - that's interesting! In my native homeland Ostfriesland by the north sea, we have an area

with many very old villages, that are built on man made hills made from the marshland's clay.

They built these, because the north sea came for tea every now and then, and those hills where

high enough for halfways normal storm floodings. Dykes came later.

Now, these settlements (which we call Warf) had the names of their main Chiefs, plus "hum" behind that.

One guy's name was Pewe, so his settlement was "Peweshum", which still exists as "Pewsum".

Another was Eilt, so it was Eiltshum, today Eilsum.

Here the historians say, "hum" stands for "Heim" (home). But your version sounds interesting.

Could perhaps the word "home" come from a high and dry place to settle on?

Edited by Olham

I'm sooo excited! Just ordered a copy of the Ubisoft dvd so no need for disk in drive... next step.... wait for pay day to order best WW1 sim ever by all accounts grin.gif Sooo meet you all in the skies someday soon! Cheerio!

I'm sooo excited! Just ordered a copy of the Ubisoft dvd so no need for disk in drive... next step.... wait for pay day to order best WW1 sim ever by all accounts grin.gif Sooo meet you all in the skies someday soon! Cheerio!

Welcome to the squadron GwynO! You're in for quite a treat once you get OFF installed. I've flown several WWI sims in the past, including the venerable Red Baron II and this is, far and away the best World War I simulation ever made, period. I'm always left impressed after a mission. The sheer joy of flying these planes (they really nailed my perception of what they should feel like) combined with the feeling of being in an actual war is just amazing.

And the best part of OFF, the more time you put into the sim, the more you'll get back on your return! Happy flying and enjoy the anticipation, that's half the fun!

Now you're moving in the right direction GwynO. This sim/game just keeps delivering the goods. I have never seen the same thing twice. Never, never know what to expect or if I shall return. You will enjoy. Oh and do not judge OFF by what you may see if you try CFS3.

Oh and do not judge OFF by what you may see if you try CFS3.

Lol having watched loads of videos of OFF and a few of CFS3, and loads of screens of both, I can only imagine the enormous amount of work that went in, it certainly appears to be a categorically different experience akin to original F4 versus OF or FF. It continues to amaze me what talented people will do for the benefit of us all who like to play these games, often for very little if any financial incentive. Even TK seems to operate on a shoestring budget and he has years of industry experience. I guess it is the difference between a run of the mill, forgettable sim and a truly unforgettable one that is the result of people caring about the experience, and the story they tell, than the money. The more love a dev team have for their area of interest, the better the result as is clearly visible in the quality of this sim, I haven't even played it yet but am already convinced from the videos and accounts given alone that this is going to blow my head right open!

• Like 1

Lol having watched loads of videos of OFF and a few of CFS3, and loads of screens of both, I can only imagine the enormous amount of work that went in, it certainly appears to be a categorically different experience akin to original F4 versus OF or FF. It continues to amaze me what talented people will do for the benefit of us all who like to play these games, often for very little if any financial incentive. Even TK seems to operate on a shoestring budget and he has years of industry experience. I guess it is the difference between a run of the mill, forgettable sim and a truly unforgettable one that is the result of people caring about the experience, and the story they tell, than the money. The more love a dev team have for their area of interest, the better the result as is clearly visible in the quality of this sim, I haven't even played it yet but am already convinced from the videos and accounts given alone that this is going to blow my head right open!

I agree GwynO. A sim is only as strong as the community around it. TK's got a great group of fliers around him over at Thirdwire. The Strike Figthers group is very loyal to their product, and it shows. The same applies here. A lot of the OFF guys are folks many of us knew from our Red Baron days. OVS created Hell's Angels and his attention to detail carried over into OFF. So there is definitely an invested interest that we all have in seeing OFF do well. Winder, Pol, and the rest of the gang support their product in ways larger companies never have and never will. If someone noticed a slight bug in an early release, you'd better believe they'd have a fix within days, if not hours!

We sim pilots are a much ignored sector of an ever more maligned PC gaming market. Thankfully, we've banded together, and those who created the past sims we know and love haven't lost their passion for making great experiences for us. While we may not have our shelf in the PC gaming store like we used to, we're still able to enjoy some amazing sims out there. I have several, but none of them - and I mean none of them - give me the satisfaction that OFF does. I think that's the joy of being a sim pilot, there are still enough options out there to find something we really enjoy, and with OFF, I think you're in for quite a treat.

Much as I love many sims (FSX, FS9 etc) I find I can't be on too many forums at once...so i dont go on other Sim Forums..cos I like it here

Much as I love many sims (FSX, FS9 etc) I find I can't be on too many forums at once...so i dont go on other Sim Forums..cos I like it here

That's mostly the reason I never managed to quite make the move to using DCS or Free/Open Falcon much. The other forums out there are a lot more hard work! One day.. my dream combo of flight sims is OFF for WW1, DCS Blackshark/Open Falcon/Free Falcon for the switch fix and a combination of Jet Thunder and Thirdwire sims for some less demanding playtime.

Hmm - that's interesting! In my native homeland Ostfriesland by the north sea, we have an area

with many very old villages, that are built on man made hills made from the marshland's clay.

They built these, because the north sea came for tea every now and then, and those hills where

high enough for halfways normal storm floodings. Dykes came later.

Now, these settlements (which we call Warf) had the names of their main Chiefs, plus "hum" behind that.

One guy's name was Pewe, so his settlement was "Peweshum", which still exists as "Pewsum".

Another was Eilt, so it was Eiltshum, today Eilsum.

Here the historians say, "hum" stands for "Heim" (home). But your version sounds interesting.

Could perhaps the word "home" come from a high and dry place to settle on?

To make it a little more complicated; ham was a Saxon word for a farm or small collection of buildings. So, particularly in the south of England, you get settlements with ham (Westham, Nottingham, Hampstead). In the north of England, the Danish influence on place names was stronger (Hulme, Denholme) but Oldham may be a case of southern Anglo Saxon being re-asserted by a landlord more familiar with southern place names.

I read about the Frisian man-made hills only a few weeks ago. Interesting coinicidence.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I could make a comment back on the original topic about how breathtaking missions in OFF can be, but it is preaching to the converted in here.

I know there's a Paris in Texas.

I've been there many times. Its only claim to fame is that it's got a Sara Lee bakery there, which produces most of the pizza crusts used by Pizza Hut. I bet only 18-wheeler drivers know that cool.gif

I agree GwynO. A sim is only as strong as the community around it. TK's got a great group of fliers around him over at Thirdwire. The Strike Figthers group is very loyal to their product, and it shows. The same applies here. A lot of the OFF guys are folks many of us knew from our Red Baron days. OVS created Hell's Angels and his attention to detail carried over into OFF. So there is definitely an invested interest that we all have in seeing OFF do well. Winder, Pol, and the rest of the gang support their product in ways larger companies never have and never will. If someone noticed a slight bug in an early release, you'd better believe they'd have a fix within days, if not hours!

We sim pilots are a much ignored sector of an ever more maligned PC gaming market. Thankfully, we've banded together, and those who created the past sims we know and love haven't lost their passion for making great experiences for us. While we may not have our shelf in the PC gaming store like we used to, we're still able to enjoy some amazing sims out there. I have several, but none of them - and I mean none of them - give me the satisfaction that OFF does. I think that's the joy of being a sim pilot, there are still enough options out there to find something we really enjoy, and with OFF, I think you're in for quite a treat.

Well said, I agree 100%

Hi Gwyn0,

Where do you live?

I've found the Ubisoft DVD in Brussels, South Africa, & the Netherlands

Even if you must use the CD, you won't regret buying BH&H

Duce, if you happen to find one in US pls let me also know. I've got the CDs but would really likе to get that DVD unlocked version.

Thanks,

Dirk.

Duce, if you happen to find one in US pls let me also know. I've got the CDs but would really likе to get that DVD unlocked version.

Thanks,

Dirk.

I'll pass on the info to everyone if I find them

Hoping there's a stash squirreled away somewhere

Til then, best bet's probably ebay