Sign in to follow this  
Ras

Are Rutabagas better Than Turnips?

A strange question, but it comes from this. Tonight for my meal, I ate some brats (not quite like bratworst in the plane that RAF Louvert made for me some weeks ago, "Where's the bratworst?) and also had some fresh rutabagas. Now, I don't know if I spelled that right, but it got me to thinking about the turnips that have been referred to in our Did campaign. grin.gif

So, now this game is making me think like another game that I believe some of you on this forum were a part of. I could be wrong. But Silent Hunter 3 and then especially for me SH4 was a great sub game of WW2 that I did love. I got so immersed in this game that I would be on the coast of Texas or on one of my many small lakes in Minnesota and would look at a ship or "boat" and start figuring out bearings and time to target and etc. I could almost see the explosion as the torpedo hit the hull.

WOW.. I think I am starting to sound like BH. No offense sir, i love your look on life. Very similar to mine.

So, do you now look at an airplane in the sky and wonder how much you have to lead it in order to take it down?

Do you look at the rain and imagine flying in your Strutter, or Albatross or Fokker or Sopwith and try to think of what it would feel like when the rain pelted the skin on your face? Life is GOOD

WOW.. I think I am starting to sound like BH.

My condolences lol.gif .

So, do you now look at an airplane in the sky and wonder how much you have to lead it in order to take it down?

Do you look at the rain and imagine flying in your Strutter, or Albatross or Fokker or Sopwith and try to think of what it would feel like when the rain pelted the skin on your face? Life is GOOD

As they taught me long ago, "be courteous to all but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." So for years I've gone through life with imaginary Terminator-style targetting reticules dancing across my retinas, tracking everybody and looking for stuff I can use as weapons if need be. OFF didn't do that to me, but it helps maintain the habit grin.gif

Ras: drinks.gif Slient Hunter 3 had me doing that too. Whenever I went to the Beach, I would look for ships and do mental Target Bearings. I wonder if thats part of game immersion or getting hung up on the subject drinks.gif

It's not "bratworst", but "Bratwurst". From "Braten" (to frie or to roast) and "Wurst" (sausage) -

so it's just a fried sausage or a roasted sausage (don't know which one you'd use).

But what the heck are "rutabagas" ?

Well, I have the OFF music in my head and often hum the "opening title", and also the "Adagio".

Edited by Olham

Yep..Many things about OFF come to mind whilst doing other things!

I often find myself whistling the theme tune...and whilst walking my dog the other day, I imagined him being my trusty mascot, and hugging him before I climbed into my Camel!...thinking how it would have felt, not seeing him again..and what would happen to him when i was gone!

Always looking up to the clouds, and wondering what it must have felt like to fight for your life up there...

Just happy to wake up in the Morning, with Max licking my face...knowing that the most dangerous job of the day is crossing the road with him!....glad I am alive today...and dont have to worry about burning to death in a flying Coffin!

WM wrote:

...glad I am alive today...and dont have to worry about burning to death in a flying Coffin!

Yes indeed. I am always filled with awe and a whole lot of respect for those courageous souls who took to the skies 90-some years ago to do battle for their chosen cause, knowing they might well die a horrific death. Most of us here have it pretty darned easy and should be extremely thankful for that. Also, I do the same thing Gents as I am driving out on the open road for work and look up and think: "That sky will be perfect for a recce flight this morning and with the sun above me Archie will have a tough time staring into it to get my alt."

Or when I am gaining on a car that's been ahead of me for the last several miles: "OK now, back off on the throttle a bit, he doesn't even know your on his six...a little closer before you open fire...a little closer...NOW!"

Olham wrote:

But what the heck are "rutabagas" ?

They're turnips with an attitude.

Cheers!

Lou

Okay, I have checked it in WIKI - they are my most hated childhood days' food: Steckrüben.

My mother couldn't think of any other way but to add salted speck to this sweetish vegetable.

Argghhh!!!

Okay, I have checked it in WIKI - they are my most hated childhood days' food: Steckrüben.

My mother couldn't think of any other way but to add salted speck to this sweetish vegetable.

Argghhh!!!

Sounds like a suitable punishment for a Cheeky Young German Boy!!!

Mine was a mouthful of 'Cod Liver Oil and Malt!....I can still taste it in my mouth as I type!!...disgusting doesnt do it justice! :suicide2:

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

Widowmaker, we're not so far away from each other, it seems!

I had to take Liver Oil too, called "Lebertran" in German! It's soooooo healthy!

Well it must be, the way it tastes you wouldn't try it for any other reason surely!!

Mine was first without malt even! Bahrghhhh!!!

Later it was a product called "Omnival" (I think) - that had enough other tastes in

there to halfways cover the liver oil.

Oh, sweet days of youth, you're gone - trallala - and that is good that way!

Edited by Olham

Cod liver oil must have been the rage all over the world. Every morning before school we had to have a teaspoon or maybe a tablespoon of it. Could never spit it out, because she would make sure we swallowed it. The younger generations have never heard of it.

Cod liver oil must have been the rage all over the world. Every morning before school we had to have a teaspoon or maybe a tablespoon of it. Could never spit it out, because she would make sure we swallowed it. The younger generations have never heard of it.

Goodness me chaps!...and I thought I was the only Schoolboy who ever had to suffer this torture!

Maybe it was our parents way of getting us back for being little b*stards sometimes!!!

(must see if I can find some for my Son, when he's been a little sod!!) :lol: