Sign in to follow this  
Wels

Only a bit OT: The 3rd party add-on Zeppelin ...

Hello,

now there's that excellent Zeppelin, if not yet usable in campaign, but does anyone remember whether there existed any manual to fly it ? Or, even better has a link to, or text file of said manual ?

Shot02-24-09-20-31-32.jpg

Zeppelin_Killer.jpg

The second one is excellent (and certainly not from me),

Thanks and greetings,

Catfish

Edited by Wels

Hello,

the L 30 Zeppelin is still downloadable along with missions, here at Combatsim.com, but there seems to be no manual. It was made by Greg Law, who back then gave his allowance to use it in OFF.

I remember a russian (?) forum member (but not from combatsim.com) who once said something about how to get airborne etc., but i did not find the text i copied back then. It was something like a "take-off guide" to fly the Zepp.

Flying is easy enough (no ailerons though, just rudder and elevator, and without being able to vent gas or drop ballast, you can only fly it dynamically, which makes the landing a bit difficult, to say at least - those Aerodromes have a short runway if trying to land dynamically lol), however i am looking for some guide to land it ahem.

Landing somewhere else than an aerodrome has bad side effects, the OFF landscape is very unpleasant, terrain is much too hard to land on (major bug lol).

The Zeppelin for CFS3 is the LZ 62, naval designation L30, and was the first of a new series of an improved type, called "Super-Zeppelins" by the british.

From Wikipedia

" ... [L30] First of the "Super-Zeppelin" Class, it had a volume of 55,200m³. 10 raids on England dropping 23,305 kg bombs (however causing limited damage due to poor sight); 31 reconnaissance missions above the North and Baltic Sea and at the Eastern Front; retired on November 17, 1917 and laid up at Seerappen. In 1920 ordered to be transferred to Belgium in the context of war reparations, where it was disassembled. Some components, including an engine car, are preserved at the Royal Army and Military History Museum, Brussels. ..."

an OFF video with some Zepps, not from me (all the same L30 model, but great):

now wouldn't it be nice to have something like this in OFF, and used in campaigns, be it to be shot down, or to fly it (L 32 here):

http://img67.imagesh.../527/016zp1.jpg

Some other sights of this model can be found here:

http://img67.imagesh...s/i/016zp1.jpg/

yikes.gif

Thanks and greetings,

Catfish

Edited by Wels

Wow this is weird.. I was only thinking last night if we will ever see zeplins in game.. I think you should get permission from the guy who created this zeplin to include it permantly in the game..

Even if there were not many of them they should still be included..

I remember mainland UK defence missions against them in the original Red Baron.

Hello Pappy55,

you wrote:

Wow this is weird.. I was only thinking last night if we will ever see zeplins in game.. I think you should get permission from the guy who created this zeplin to include it permantly in the game..

Even if there were not many of them they should still be included..

I remember mainland UK defence missions against them in the original Red Baron.

Don't know whether one from the OFF team asked Greg Law about the Zeppelin since OFF phase 3 was getting commercial ...Greg did that for CFS3, and OFF phase 1, or 2.

And then this is only one early model or type, from lots of being built, so if it shall be as historically exact as the other a/c types and skins in OFF, one would need several types to appear at the right time. But then the L30 at least made it through the whole war, so it could appear anywhere, even if most Zeppelins and Schuette-Lanz rigid airships were broken up, had accidents or were shot down.

" ... Even if there were not many of them ..."

Well, there were more airships (102 (?) including naval and army types) built during the war, than e.g. the Fokker D.VIII monoplanes, and the few delivered (85 ?) D.VIIIs made it into the game, if as add-on (and if only because womenfly2 wanted it so much lol).

But modeling a whole Zeppelin, with gunning stations, gondolas, engines etc. is certainly a lot of work. I think it would be worth it ... i already proposed to deliver plans and info, sure would like to see at least one type in OFF to be usable in campaign.

Greetings,

Catfish

Edited by Wels