Sign in to follow this  
von Baur

Damage modeling glitch

Don't know if this has been mentioned before, but...

I'd noticed, shall we say, irregularities in the representation of damage, particularly bullet holes showing on one side of a surface but not the other. But I was returning from a QC and wanted to check out how the damage looked on the Dr1 skin I'm working on and saw this:

post-47353-12576176882956.jpg

post-47353-12576177118101.jpg

post-47353-1257617696804.jpg

Notice that from above the damage shows on the right aileron (yellow box), while from below it shows up on the left. That the pictures haven't been reversed can be seen by the damage to the middle wing...left side (green box) is more than halfway out while that to the right side (red box) is much closer to the root.

Another one who could benifit greatly, by dragging that TAC screen to the lower left corner of your screen, for there it seems to disappear,till you purposely look ar it

I've reduced the size by about 25% and may reduce it more. It's also as low as it will go, or at least as low as I've managed so far. As to left, right or middle, I prefer middle. That way I almost never see it when I'm focussed on the action but it's still available if I want to look at it. But thanx for your off-topic and unrequested advice.

Now, back to the purpose of this post. Has this been seen/identified before and/or is it something that can be fixed? If not, which side was really damaged? It could be significant considering one might want to be more careful of the damaged and weakened section.

Probably not the damage appears in 1 place only. Upper wing, lower wing whatever, unless it breaks some. Bullets are not necessarily mirrored underneath too. So maybe you got hit on the upper R aileron, then on the L aileron under. The only way to do that is to have matched set of bullet holes that appear in both places at the same time, and it would take a looooong time to do for each craft ;). So yes maybe possible if you want the next add on out in 2012. We can look at again sometime but not at the moment.

Fair enough, Pol. I understand that you (meaning, of course, the dev team) are limited by the CFS3 engine in some cases, and in trying to extend it to encompass WWI aircraft. Delay the next step until 2012 for this? OMG, I'd have the entire OFF community on my doorstep (insert images of the villagers storming Dr. Frankenstein's castle with torches and pitchforks here). Besides which, if the Mayans were right, we'd never get to enjoy it. No, this is a cosmetic inconsistency. It's correction would be nice, but it's hardly worth holding up production for if it's not going to be quick and easy. Maybe an upgrade to Phase 4. Your word that it will be looked into is good enough for me. Thanx.

No problem von Baur we are always looking at improving things. Just need more time ;)