Sign in to follow this  
Murphy'S

how to avoid that kind of clipping

I've no idea what we're supposed to be seeing....could you highlight the area of issue (draw a circle around it, or have an arrow pointing to it)???

thanks!

wrench

kevin stein

I've no idea what we're supposed to be seeing....

the border between trees and plain area

i think trees area should be sight at higher range

First: are you using any of my weirdo mods that require radical FlightEngine clip distance ramping?

I've seen something like that. It looks like the fog canopy "glass" is not fogging out the terrain trees, or making the trees glisten deeply green. In gameplay, do you see the trees twinkling rapidly?

Does it happen in external view? If you only see it from cockpit, its the canopy "glass."

If you can't fix it otherwise, you can take out the "glass" effect. You have to do it manually manually for non-Thudwire aircraft, unless SF2 is different from SF1. There are several methods from simple to deep end.

Guys:

I referred Murphy to this forum for his problem -- he's seeing trees not being rendered far enough into the distance for his taste. He's using the SF2V Air& Ground Expansion Pack, with Green Hell 2 & Better Widesky. My initial thought was that he might need to fiddle with the following settings from FlightEngine.ini:

[FarSceneClip]

FarClipDistance=80000.0

NearClipDistance=3000.0

[NormalSceneClip]

FarClipDistance=20000.0

NearClipDistance=249.9

[NearSceneClip]

FarClipDistance=250.0

NearClipDistance=1.2

But I'm not completely versed with these settings -- that's why I referred him here.

Eric Howes

First: are you using any of my weirdo mods that require radical FlightEngine clip distance ramping?

I've seen something like that. It looks like the fog canopy "glass" is not fogging out the terrain trees, or making the trees glisten deeply green. In gameplay, do you see the trees twinkling rapidly?

Does it happen in external view? If you only see it from cockpit, its the canopy "glass."

If you can't fix it otherwise, you can take out the "glass" effect. You have to do it manually manually for non-Thudwire aircraft, unless SF2 is different from SF1. There are several methods from simple to deep end.

How can I remove the glass effect from stock planes? Thank you for your answer.

Guys:

I referred Murphy to this forum for his problem -- he's seeing trees not being rendered far enough into the distance for his taste. He's using the SF2V Air& Ground Expansion Pack, with Green Hell 2 & Better Widesky. My initial thought was that he might need to fiddle with the following settings from FlightEngine.ini:

[FarSceneClip]

FarClipDistance=80000.0

NearClipDistance=3000.0

[NormalSceneClip]

FarClipDistance=20000.0

NearClipDistance=249.9

[NearSceneClip]

FarClipDistance=250.0

NearClipDistance=1.2

But I'm not completely versed with these settings -- that's why I referred him here.

Eric Howes

Has he tired adjusting the horizon distance (to medium, far, or unlimited) in the graphics section of the in game options? That would be the first thing I would try.

Has he tired adjusting the horizon distance (to medium, far, or unlimited) in the graphics section of the in game options? That would be the first thing I would try.

don't think it have something to do with the horizon distance. (and i already tried it :ok: )

more with the flightengine.ini and some of it's parameters i think

but what line and value to change in this .ini?

no

In gameplay, do you see the trees twinkling rapidly?

trees and cities are subject to this clipping (at least it's the more visible clipping (as they cover larges areas)

it happens in external view too

Edited by Murphy'S

The distance at which alpha objects (trees) pop into view is determined by this setting in the flightengine.ini: "DetailMeshSize=16" I use 16, since I have a high-end system.

You can never really get away from the "blocky" manner in which it renders trees, as that is a function of the game engine, namely the way that it associates .TOD files with terrain bitmaps.

it happens in external view too...

Okay. Another option is painting the tree tga's a bit different colour so they more match the forest terrain tile color when seen from medium altitudes. That's what I did.

Fubs right on DetailMeshSize, but be careful ramping that. It locked up on me at 20 on my old computer. DMS involves the terrain height detail -- what hill obscures a distant cloud or something. DMS takes astronomically increasing computer power as the distance ramps.

Arrow::

How can I remove the glass effect from stock planes? Thank you for your answer.

Oh boy. I could write a book on this. One liner:: Look for some "glass" tga files. Many cockpits use the stock canopy "glass" file. You replace that with a clear tga in Cockpit folder. Cellinsky sky mod has clear horizon cloud replacement tga's that are clear. Another method is Moving the cockpit glass out of view using cockpit.ini and either OUT file or hex editor.

You can search this twenty thousand page Thudwire saga thread for the word GLASS it has some tips to get started.

~> http://bbs.thirdwire.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4410

Okay. Another option is painting the tree tga's a bit different colour so they more match the forest terrain tile color when seen from medium altitudes. That's what I did.

Fubs right on DetailMeshSize, but be careful ramping that. It locked up on me at 20 on my old computer. DMS involves the terrain height detail -- what hill obscures a distant cloud or something. DMS takes astronomically increasing computer power as the distance ramps.

Arrow::

Oh boy. I could write a book on this. One liner:: Look for some "glass" tga files. Many cockpits use the stock canopy "glass" file. You replace that with a clear tga in Cockpit folder. Cellinsky sky mod has clear horizon cloud replacement tga's that are clear. Another method is Moving the cockpit glass out of view using cockpit.ini and either OUT file or hex editor.

You can search this twenty thousand page Thudwire saga thread for the word GLASS it has some tips to get started.

~> http://bbs.thirdwire...php?f=14&t=4410

Thanks, I've already read some half of the thread and in the end I managed to resolve my clipping and opencockpit problem without having to move the glass - but thanks for the tip wit a clear tga, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I know that my question might have sounded offending, but I searched a lot for it, but unfortunately haven't found that particular information, so once more thanks.

The distance at which alpha objects (trees) pop into view is determined by this setting in the flightengine.ini: "DetailMeshSize=16" I use 16, since I have a high-end system.

You can never really get away from the "blocky" manner in which it renders trees, as that is a function of the game engine, namely the way that it associates .TOD files with terrain bitmaps.

Fubar, do yo use the wide sky mod with those settings? The reason i ask is that I tried your "detailmeshsize" settings and the had some severe cloud/sky texture clipping that morphed into the terrain tiles and followed their outlines. I thought it might have something to do with the lexxluther farclipdistance mods- 5000E+3, but when I returned the setting to stock 80000.0 the clipping was still horrendous.

there was one alpha object issue in play before I changed the flight engine settings:

I use Starry's new alpha objects settings.... it fixes the flickering trees issue but it has a glitch with widesky mod, the trees sometime show through thin cloud layers.

I would be grateful for any suggestions you might have. Your detail mesh settings make a huge improvement in the terrains depth and realism I really would like to find a way to make it work with Starry's new data and widesky.

Thanks for responding Fubar. The wierd thing is that I had already applied the Fix you linked to above and it was still inplace at the time of the clipping problem. Back when i originally saw the fix posted and applied it the edits did not solve the issues of trees being visable through cloud layers on this WOE install. I will run another test on a different install, to see if some modification I have made to the install might be causing the problem.