Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

MvR in Colour

A video like an appetizer to OFF.

I liked to see Manfred von Richthofen dressing up for a flight.

From the movie...

Baron Manfred von Richthofen

Red Fighter Pilot 1917

Pretty cool video... I like it even though it's obviously colorized. But in 2009, the basic facts should always be checked and corrected.

The Dr.1 was flying in 1917 and was red, not pink... and he was called The Red Baron, not the Red Fighter Pilot. :drinks:

Annnnnnd, he was really an alien, thats why he was soooooo gooood!

Cue Twilight Zone Music...........again.rofl.gif

ZZ.

I actually watched this entire film (with proper narration) on the History Channel last Saturday...and in it's defence, it was of course superior quality to this one.

(though that is a poor excuse for not getting titles and facts correct!)

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

I like the colorization. Does bring it home a touch more.

ZZ.

Pretty cool video... I like it even though it's obviously colorized. But in 2009, the basic facts should always be checked and corrected.

The Dr.1 was flying in 1917 and was red, not pink... and he was called The Red Baron, not the Red Fighter Pilot. :drinks:

It is colourised, of course, but I think the computing technology they have used to add the same is pretty cool, to maintain the colour balance and separation off a few keyed frames. Genuine early colour photograhy, using coloured starch granules may well have rendered Richthofen's plane more pink than red. To be fair, too, didn't Richthofen refer to himself as 'Der Rote Kampfflieger' rather than 'Der Rote Rittmeister'?

As far as I know, he was called the "Red Baron" by the Entente, maybe the press.

He was not even a Baron, but a slightly "lower noble" - he was a Freiherr.

So, if he would have spoken of himself with the colour in mind, he would have said

"der rote Kampfflieger" rather.

actually he himself called his red aircraft "le petite rouge". in germany never ever called him red baron. "der rote kampfflieger" was his book and rather the name of his aircraft then for himself. the people in germany called him rittmeister von richthofen or similar. if something regarded to his red aicraft, then "the red knight of germany" or §red knight in the air". as long as i know not even the allied called him "red baron". it was from the postwar press who gave him that name. i know from books they called him baron von richthofen, or red devil etc. during the war

The use of the word "Red Fighter Pilot" was correct. It was because the actual dialogue that this version cut out was from MvR's book's title translated into English. It's also how you explain the seemingly random inclusion of words such as "Recollection" which obviously only makes sense if you were to hear the dialogue being spoken and which was cut out of this version.

Edited by rwmarth

Wait wait wait wait wait, you mean WWI was not fought in black and white? Does this mean the same for WWII and Korea? :lol: Im crushed.