Sign in to follow this  
Guest Eject

S.O.S! Wrench, Dave or Other Sr. Members Familiar With Windows XP SP2. Help Needed and, excuse me, ASAP Please.

Guest Eject

Dave, Wrench and Other Sr. members,

Hi, I vanished into thin air for full two days, for my Laptop had been down due chiefly to System crash. With a young technician who are very knowledagle about IT we spent 1 hour, at his boss' PC store, to do re-install and re-formatting of my lameduck, 2-year old Laptop. Done. No problema.

This young guy is a real pro, in his field of work. As said by him, as soon as I got home two hours ago the machine could be connected to the Net instantly, with no hassles at all. Plug and Play. You Site is now the first one I visisted.

Later on at home, I spent two hours to fiddle with the XP SPII. BTW, the lappy had been configured in(to?) three partitions, i.e., C (for the OS and the most important add-on programs); D; and E where my WOE has been residing.

Since I have been using the latest Update/Patch of Oct. 2008 for my WOE in the (Dir)ectory E from the very start (before the system crashed two days ago), and that during the re-installation D & E were parked savely in other place I never knew where in the HDD; the WOE is still intact in Dir. E.

So, I had been thinking, after the Re-Install of the OS was later done, getting home ASAP I would be able to play the WOE. WRONG!!!

This is what really mystify me as the guy who know VERY litle about System (PC and OS-wise).

First: I have the CDs of WOE, WOI, and WOV, yet, I decided to unsinstall the last two, and stick with just the WOE.

We all know, I believe, that the installation of the TW's great games (WO*) requires that we also install the included (in the CD in my case) DX9 (the latest being the DX10).

Further, thanks to the April 08 through the latest Oct.08 Update/Patch that can be DL-ed from TW Site and from here, should we have copied the PLAYABLE WO* series (Rarred of Zipped) in our USB (mine was 4Gigs); we could/can "install" (in fact, just copy it/them) in OTHER PC or Laptop. In my case, I could do it, i.e., such a simple "install" of the WOE in our other Laptop. It was/is playable too.

Aah! I recall now, such "simple" copying form the playable WO* could be done in other machine; yet, only when we PREVIOUSLY had done a Fresh-install of the WO* in said other machine! For in my limited knowledge about system in a machine, even after we UNINSTALLED said WO* from D or E, the DX9 would still be residing in THAT same machine, in Dir C I guess.

Now I realized, when the young man did the re-install of the same OS (XP SP2), obviously my DX9 was also deleted!

But, I was wondering, had I not INSTALLED my same WOE in Dir. E, and that minutes later after the WOE installation (in my case just copied it from my USB) was completed it also asked if I wanted to install the DX9, which I assumed would also be installed in E??

Please bear with me as I wish to share with you the process (of installing FRESH the WOE months ago from a WOE CD) of copying same WOE from my USB, BUT before the sysem and the OS crashed two days ago. Please bear in mind that when the guy did the re-installation of the OS, the entire contents of D and E were in a safe place of same HDD under re-installation of the OS.

So, thirdly, I simply tried -- two hours ago -- to FRESH Re-install my BASIC WOE without any Add-Ons in it from my same CD, yet in Dir-C under PROGRAM. Done, and the DX9 also was (I though!) installed as well.

Yet, after TWICE I did the FRESH installs, even the BASIC WOE refused to Load!

I next checked the Dir-C under Program, even under Windows, if the DX was already installed as well. To my "horror," no DX9 was to be found! I therefore, UNISTALLed the WOE twice.

Please enlighten me why this happened???

Lastly Dave and Wrench, thank God in my daughter's newer laptop, two days ago I fresh-installed the same WOE (from the same CD). And of course the same (bloody, as the Irish/Ausie man said) DX9 in the same CD also was installed, yet not in Dir-C either; in Dir-E instead.

My quesrion: Can I perhaps just copy the SAME basic (with no DL Add-Ons) WOE from her Laptop to my Laptop (using my USB)??? Or, is it possible just to COPY -- may I repeat -- copy the DX9 file from Dir-C of her Laptop to Di-C of mmy lappy??

Thank you for your help, and patience Dave/Wrenc or other Sr. Modders. Looking forward to hearing from you gentlemen.

DX has to be downloaded from microsoft website and installed separately from any game

you game set on a separate drive is safe (especially first series..), but DX is part of windows directory, so it indeed dissapeared when formatting

install it and the game should run

Guest Eject

DX has to be downloaded from microsoft website and installed separately from any game

you game set on a separate drive is safe (especially first series..), but DX is part of windows directory, so it indeed dissapeared when formatting

install it and the game should run

Sony, thanks a lot. Will soon try it. But, may I ask, is the DX9 or (the latest one the DX10 in XP SP3 -- mine is XP SP2 -- or VISTA or WINDOWS7) is NOT included in those OS?

Edited by Eject

yes, but it's not updated via the SP

XP includes DX8

Vista and 7 include DX10

so in all cases, DX9 requires to be downloaded and installed separetely

be also advised DX 9 is regularly updated and any new patch for Thirdwire simus is based on the then latest version, so regular updates are a must

btw, no more info on TNI vipers schemes?

Edited by sony tuckson

First: I have the CDs of WOE, WOI, and WOV

Was WOI ever released on CD?

Yes, this proves my point, and thx for the link to latest DX 9 version...which as I said isn't available on any windows version at all.....

BTW for Vista and 7 users wishing to run 1st series simulators, installing DX 9 is also required, the older games don't recognize dx10

Yes, this proves my point, and thx for the link to latest DX 9 version...which as I said isn't available on any windows version at all.....

BTW for Vista and 7 users wishing to run 1st series simulators, installing DX 9 is also required, the older games don't recognize dx10

also, in W7 you may have to use the feature to troubleshoot programs that ran in older versions of windows in order to get them to run correctly, depending on the components in your system.

Guest Eject

yes, but it's not updated via the SP

XP includes DX8

Vista and 7 include DX10

so in all cases, DX9 requires to be downloaded and installed separetely

be also advised DX 9 is regularly updated and any new patch for Thirdwire simus is based on the then latest version, so regular updates are a must

btw, no more info on TNI vipers schemes?

Sony, my apology, no luck yet on ur interest re Vipers b-coz for two full days/nights I had been unable to use my downed laptop offline nor online. Have u tried the good "f-16.net" or .org or .net? It deals only with the real F-16s family globally.

And, for the gentlemen below, my thanx as well for ur valuable inouts. C u laters guys. Ur replies here is soon saved to my HDD.

Edited by Eject

Guest Eject

Sony, my apology, no luck yet on ur interest re Vipers b-coz for two full days/nights I had been unable to use my downed laptop offline nor online. Have u tried the good "f-16.net" or .org or .net? It deals only with the real F-16s family globally.

And, for the gentlemen below, my thanx as well for ur valuable inouts. C u laters guys. Ur replies here is soon saved to my HDD.

Me again Sony, minutes ago jyst uninstalled my 2nd Fresh-Install of my WOE, for it refused to play. After loading Weaps of my choice, click FLY, and BOOM! Back to Desktop.

I am really mystified now. Why, because in my WOE undamaged CD included as well the DirectX9C. Nine C Sony. I clicked YES to install it too. Btw, few hours ago BEFORE I did this Fresh install (after doing the Unistall of the WOE an hour ago) I DL from SOFTPEDIA who directed me to an other Site that made available Direct9C even DirectX10 -- FREE to DL (redistributeable from Microsoft).

What other steps do u suggest I should again WASTE my productive time to solve this problem? Thx for ur help later.

I shall post here later the www address where everyone is free to DL the DirectX 9C or 10.

Me again Sony, minutes ago jyst uninstalled my 2nd Fresh-Install of my WOE, for it refused to play. After loading Weaps of my choice, click FLY, and BOOM! Back to Desktop.

I am really mystified now. Why, because in my WOE undamaged CD included as well the DirectX9C. Nine C Sony. I clicked YES to install it too. Btw, few hours ago BEFORE I did this Fresh install (after doing the Unistall of the WOE an hour ago) I DL from SOFTPEDIA who directed me to an other Site that made available Direct9C even DirectX10 -- FREE to DL (redistributeable from Microsoft).

What other steps do u suggest I should again WASTE my productive time to solve this problem? Thx for ur help later.

I shall post here later the www address where everyone is free to DL the DirectX 9C or 10.

No need to be rude dude. The only thing you will acomplish with that atitude is that people dont want to help you out.

Well, I'm offering an helping hand, if you think I'm wasting your precious productive time, just ignore my offer....

And btw, English ain't my native language neither, it's not an excuse as some try to say here and there.

Now, as I said, the DX9.0C is updated regularly, and the one on CD was the version available when CD was made....it was working for the CD version of the game, not the patched one

Same goes for weapons pack which are alos patch linked....as weapons management evolved with patches!

So when installaing from zero, just install from CD, apply latest patches

download from Microsoft (and no other site) the latest DX 9.0C version, and install it

then, find the weapons pack (check if it is consitant with patch, most members here will be able to confirm, but ask for, sicne they are quite a few weaponspack haning around)

Now, I also wasted my precious time, but since I tried to help somebody, maybe in was not lost at the end.

Eject,

If you cannot be grateful for the help that people have been trying to give you, you can leave.

You have been a source of annoyance lately, attempting to post several politically charged topics within the semblance of playing the game or modding or troubleshooting. You now have started insulting long time members of the ThirdWire community who were trying to help you.

We do not get paid for putting up with rude or insulting behavior here. Keep your politics to yourself and ask for and accept help graciously. Or find yourself ejected.

FC

Edited by FastCargo

Guest Eject

No need to be rude dude. The only thing you will acomplish with that atitude is that people dont want to help you out.

Oh MY GOD MY GOD! I swear to God my friends Sony and Fubar, I was NOT reffering to your suggestions which are very useful re the DirectX or other stuff mentioned, when I said that things gone misunderstood. I was referring to MY OWN acts of fidling twice with fresh install of my WOE, which were wrong steps sice I had not first DL the required DirctX. So, a waste of time. Had I done it first, no time of mune had been wasted -- by me myself.

I repeat, I swear to GOD the Almighty, that that phrase of mine, WASTING MY TIMES was in fact referring to my MY OWN, silly steps, deeds of having Fresh-Installed my WOE twice, which had been a waste of time indeed.

For ur info, due to this problem of mine plus the downed Laptop, I was compelled to again pospone leaving to my late parents' residence some 600Kms away from Jakarta, to meet three different prospective buyers of our property (1K m square) and a big house on it.

So, please Fubar and Sony, I do apologize to both of you and others here who have taken the trouble to first, read my S.O.S., and secondly, to offer the useful assistance.

I am a man far from writing sarcasm whatsoever. It's my English I believe that has gotten rusty after so many years, more than ten years now, of not practicing it since my co-workers nearly all of them speak our mothers' toungue.

Really, please Fubar and Sony, I beg you to forgive me to have created the misunderstanding, hence, was seen to have been rude to both of you. If I should be dishonest to u on this, may God the Almighty PUNISH me ASAP -- tonight.

Once again, I did indeed refer to MY OWN silly steps when I was makig the effort to make my WOE work again. My apology also goes to Dave and rest of the members of the Admin here. C u all later....

Thank u all.....

Edited by Eject

Oh MY GOD MY GOD! I swear to God my friends Sony and Fubar, I was NOT reffering to your suggestions which are very useful re the DirectX or other stuff mentioned, when I said that things gone misunderstood. I was referring to MY OWN acts of fidling twice with fresh install of my WOE, which were wrong steps sice I had not first DL the required DirctX. So, a waste of time. Had I done it first, no time of mune had been wasted -- by me myself.

I repeat, I swear to GOD the Almighty, that that phrase of mine, WASTING MY TIMES was in fact referring to my MY OWN, silly steps, deeds of having Fresh-Installed my WOE twice, which had been a waste of time indeed.

For ur info, due to this problem of mine plus the downed Laptop, I was compelled to again pospone leaving to my late parents' residence some 600Kms away from Jakarta, to meet three different prospective buyers of our property (1K m square) and a big house on it.

So, please Fubar and Sony, I do apologize to both of you and others here who have taken the trouble to first, read my S.O.S., and secondly, to offer the useful assistance.

I am a man far from writing sarcasm whatsoever. It's my English I believe that has gotten rusty after so many years, more than ten years now, of not practicing it since my co-workers nearly all of them speak our mothers' toungue.

Really, please Fubar and Sony, I beg you to forgive me to have created the misunderstanding, hence, was seen to have been rude to both of you. If I should be dishonest to u on this, may God the Almighty PUNISH me ASAP -- tonight.

Once again, I did indeed refer to MY OWN silly steps when I was makig the effort to make my WOE work again. My apology also goes to Dave and rest of the members of the Admin here. C u all later....

Thank u all.....

Eject, I wouldn't worry too much now if I were you, it takes a lot to apologise which you have done, also you have made clear that your intention was not to offend. Bearing in mind intentions, do take very seriously what Fast Cargo advised you.. keep politics to yourself, it is a golden rule on this forum not to get into political sniping in threads that have nothing to do with politics.. like waterboarding in a thread about Thirdwire games. It is difficult I know, and something that many of us are guilty of at times, but I would suggest that if the topic is already political, military, or news based and the subject is relevant to such things then that would be less likely to annoy or offend others! Not telling you off Eject because that is not my job, just want to help you out from repeating the same things that led to tension in the past. I'm sure no one on the site wants you to be punished, so relax!

Also, just as a little friendly advice mate, If you have a question about Thirdwire games, have a look in the Knowledge Base, or try the search feature first to see if anyone else has had similar problems and you may find it easier to ask your question in an already established thread, indeed some of the answers may already be out there. The admins like Dave, Wrench, Fubar, Fast Cargo et al are all very busy people both in modding these games as well as administrating the site, not to mention that they have very busy real lives too, do yourself and them a favour by not addressing every question or thread at them! Many others on this sight would be more than happy to answer your questions or refer you to places where this knowledge is available if you have exhausted the Knowledge Base or search facility. Again, I'm only saying this to help you.

Cheers,

Gwyn

Edited by GwynO

It's all ok for me

But.....I still need infos regarding TNI-AU vipers!!!

My progress is good, but don't know about wings, do they carry national markings, if yes, positions, etc.....