Sign in to follow this  
SlickWili

Bfv Vs. Ati

I have BFV, but I do not like it, especially with the serious issues they have with ATI cards.

I read this post earlier, but a silly question just occurred to me: who in their right mind releases a game knowing that it will not work well with video cards manufactured by the favored company in the industry?

Funny you mention this, I was having the exact same discussion with a couple of fellow engineers here this morning over coffee. Does make you wonder, doesn't it. :D

I was talking to Beer last night about this same thing..

It did not state on the box that it WOULDN"T work with ATI, but all the ATI users are fumming mad about it.

My guess is that if you are the developer, you become supported by a particular manufacture of video cards. In this case Nvidia. I'm 100% positive that Nvidia is trying to get a grip on a market that they lost control of. What better way to regain control then to squeeze developer and publishers that have long been supporters. It's better (and easier) to shower them with free equipment that they need and work closer with them to develop their product, rather then to make a better product. <--the obvious solution.

I'm sure this has ATI absolutly deluged with angry card owners. Is it ATI's fault, no, but I'm sure they will be quick to fix it...unless the developers correct it in a patch first. New cat drivers don't work as well, and from what I hear, the 3.6 cats are favored with aa and shadows turned off, and fsaa turned on.

I do believe that games will always be weighted to favor the supporting vid card manufacture...we've all seen it. I also believe that the paying public will get wind of it and sales will decline due to it.

Fact remains....they had to know about it in the open beta tests. Take SFP1 for example, rwr didn't work with ATI cards....they new about that...but that was minor problem compared to Frame rates being in the single digits.

<C>

Fates

I remember 3dfx doing this with several games a few years back. "Optimized" is how they would word it. Of course, if you were a Voodoo card-carrying member, it was great because you knew that the developers paid special attention the specifics of the hardware in order to maximize its use.

If you weren't a 3dfx owner, well... you were SoL and had to settle for sub-standard performance. And I do recall not picking up certain games because of this issue.

Seems like they are doing it again then. Becasue, after all, 3dfx was taken over by nVidia, and most of the 3dfx management, went on to positions with nVidia.

So it's really no surprise that they would go back to business as usual.

-Skater

I moved this post here so everyone else could reply with their opinions on the NVIDIA vs ATI debate

Ya, I have an NVIDIA card, but I do see what you mean, equal rights for all, and plus, there's so many kids with ATI cards I can't totaly own while playing BFV ;)

I must agree with most that it's hard to justify having to buy a new card just to play a game..or even upgrade your system just for a certain game...but from the business end money is money no matter where it comes from,if a company says"hey we'll give ya the money to develope your sim and all you have to do is...."then I can see their point also.it's a catch 22 for them.I'm sure a patch will come out that will fix the problem to a point..I mean you won't get all the features but just enough to play itlike they used to do with glide(for those of you who remember adding a VooDoo2 card or 2 just for glide)