Sign in to follow this  
12oclockhigh

Graphics

Hello all,

Had the game a couple of weeks and am enjoying it so far. Don't misunderstand this tiny bit of criticism but I have to say though that while OFF looks decent it is nothing special graphics wise, especially compared to Bioshock or Crysis. I find it disconcerting that I only get frame rates at around 25 to 30 on medium settings on this game when my computer can run Crysis at UltraHigh and 60 fps. It seems to me that with OFF the devs have hitched their pony to a very old wagon. Has there been any thought given to upgrading the 3d engine? In my opinion that would be far more beneficial and welcomed than another airplane or skin.

The thoughts of hitching your wagon to a more up to date engine, are nothing new I assure you. The problem is money, or to be more correct, the lack of same. And of course somebody having one for sale.

Rather than cause yourself undue grief, I'd suggest you do a little reading, and follow the instructions given

http://www.overfland....com/sysreq.htm

Also the Official FAQ

http://www.overfland...lds.com/FAQ.htm

Been there and done that long before posting. My point was I appreciate the effort that went into this compilation and it would be nice to see it modernized. If there are constraints that keep that from happening then so be it.

I hope this post doesn't come off as complaining because I'm not. I can hit the low 40's frame rate wise if I go into gunsight view (f3) but that's not 'real' to me. And I only mention Crysis because its an awesome game graphically. When playing Crysis I sometimes find myself stopping just to sight see. To me that's immersion. Further to OFF, there's another WW1 flight sim out that a friend of mine has purchased. He seems pretty impressed with it. Both games looked good to me but I backed away from the other because of the DRM method the publisher uses (as copy protection?). You have to stay connected to their server in Russia while you are playing and that struck me as odd. So after a bit of thought I decided on OFF and its the potential of this game that spurred this thread.

Another trick for increasing FPS is to move forward in the cockpit, you can find that in views in the controls section. In the days before this machine, and phase two specifically, moving forward in the cockpit would increase my speed by around 5 fps, depending on the cockpit. I think it just allowed the computer not to have to draw so much, it was really obvious in the British planes that had more instruments and objects in the cockpit.

Beard

That's what I find a little odd with my setup. I get more FPS in the 'no cockpit-gunsight view' than I do from cockpit view. You would think the computer is drawing more screen and would be slower if anything. Anyway, thanks for the advice. I'll give it try tonight.

What button do you press to see how much FPS you are running?

What button do you press to see how much FPS you are running?

The default "in game" button is z. it will bring up information in the upper left of the screen. FPS is one of those little bits of info up there.

Or you can load FRAPS which is a great free utility that shows FPS and allows you to take screen shots and even movies. All you have to do is Google it.

Beard

Got another little possible FPS bump for you. If you go into CFS3 QC from the Workshop menu, you can bring down the options box if you hit hanger, go to display and open the lower tab. Turn off reflections, all I have seen this effect is the Mirrors and reflections in the gauges on some planes. You can also turn of shadow with this. I prefer the shadows but the reflections in the mirrors didn't show anything behind you, just distorted terrain.

I have upped my game to 554453 and am running smoothly (a tad slower than at 553353) without any anomalies.

Beard

That's what I find a little odd with my setup. I get more FPS in the 'no cockpit-gunsight view' than I do from cockpit view. You would think the computer is drawing more screen and would be slower if anything. Anyway, thanks for the advice. I'll give it try tonight.

It's not the amount of screen, it's the number of textures. With the VC showing, there are more textures to render and this is what slows down an old game engine like CFS3. Crysis is a more recent title written to take advantage of recent GPU advances.