Sign in to follow this  
Tanyrhiew

Queries & suggestions

Currently deep in a 1918 camel pilot campaign and I'm noticing that the AI always seems to be down in the weeds which is making 'em pretty easy to knock off, particuarly the albatri. Having had a look at the last few mission files in missions\historical I notice that the AI is usually set to around 4-5000 - if the units are in feet then it seems a bit low for the huns in '18. Is it possible to increase the average height the AI fly at, ideally get 'em up over 10,000?

Having a couple of other campaigns on the go to sample the other aircraft, I've noticed that the choice of missions is the same no matter what you fly. It would add extra atmosphere to have mission types/briefings tailored to the side you fly. I've been able to to this by editing the NationAircraftMissiontypes.txt files in OFF\campaigns\CampaignData, for example I've set up 2 txt files for RFC pilots, one for between pushes were I get mainly patrols of the lines and offensive patrols (cannot believe that the dreaded O-pips are not mentioned by default!) and one for during offensives that offers me the chance to shoot up the push and plenty of opportunity to collect a machine gun bullet and little else!

It would be good if this sort of thing was handled automatically by the manager. Extra things could be brought in like adding airfield attacks in post march 1918 when the RFC started to mount major attacks on the airfields, or for those SE5 squadrons or the Jastas that did not do ground attack, by not tasking them with that mission type. If realism is the key then the germans should be limited to barrier patrols behind their lines, certainly with no airfield attacks or offensive patrols being tasked, though of course theres nothing stopping the player from crossing the lines if they choose.

Currently deep in a 1918 camel pilot campaign and I'm noticing that the AI always seems to be down in the weeds which is making 'em pretty easy to knock off, particuarly the albatri. Having had a look at the last few mission files in missions\historical I notice that the AI is usually set to around 4-5000 - if the units are in feet then it seems a bit low for the huns in '18. Is it possible to increase the average height the AI fly at, ideally get 'em up over 10,000?

Having a couple of other campaigns on the go to sample the other aircraft, I've noticed that the choice of missions is the same no matter what you fly. It would add extra atmosphere to have mission types/briefings tailored to the side you fly. I've been able to to this by editing the NationAircraftMissiontypes.txt files in OFF\campaigns\CampaignData, for example I've set up 2 txt files for RFC pilots, one for between pushes were I get mainly patrols of the lines and offensive patrols (cannot believe that the dreaded O-pips are not mentioned by default!) and one for during offensives that offers me the chance to shoot up the push and plenty of opportunity to collect a machine gun bullet and little else!

It would be good if this sort of thing was handled automatically by the manager. Extra things could be brought in like adding airfield attacks in post march 1918 when the RFC started to mount major attacks on the airfields, or for those SE5 squadrons or the Jastas that did not do ground attack, by not tasking them with that mission type. If realism is the key then the germans should be limited to barrier patrols behind their lines, certainly with no airfield attacks or offensive patrols being tasked, though of course theres nothing stopping the player from crossing the lines if they choose.

All being worked on.

Cheers,

shredder

We've learnt that 'all being worked on' is the stock answer to any query raised... but the difference in OFF is that it genuinely IS! I doubt there's much that we players can draw the devs attention too that they aren't already aware of, and plan to fix.

Me, I've stopped looking for enhancements to OFF, I KNOW they're coming... I'm busy wishing for an OFF dev cloning device :grin:

The manager does produce missions based on squadron's status and general battle orders, WM has described it in detail in the past, but we are refining this further to define specific rolls down to squadron level! (a taste will be in the Hat in the Ring expansion).

PC performance and settings can also effect AI generally too - try increasing some graphic sliders if you have a good PC. AI seems to be worse when you have lower sliders.