Sign in to follow this  
Macklroy

Setting CPU affinity manually

OFF runs pretty much flawlessly on my rig. I get about 30fps lifting from a busy aerodrome. In lvl flight about 40-50fps and a steady 40-45 fps in combat (slightly lower on the deck). Only one problem keeps rearing its ugly head. The crash to briefing. after a few minutes sometimes longer sometimes shorter OFF/CFS3 will freeze and kick me back to the briefing screen. It was mentioned in another post that setting your CPU affinity to 1core specifically for OFF would squash the problem. Has anyone else experienced this issue? And if so have you been able to fix the issue? I love this SIM and really couldn't be more pleased with the support and community that comes along with it. However being unable to complete a campaign mission is a small drawback.

Any help or advice is always appretiated.

Computer specs:

AMD64 Dual core @ 3.00GHZ

4gb ram

vista 64

ati radeon 4800

yadda yadda yadda

PS - Uncleal, please DO NOT post your usual 'sticky' advertisement in this thread. It's Not necessary. rofl.gif

What Nvidia card do you want to get?

Whatta ya want perfection. . .EASY . ..Dump the ATI card. . and pick up a Nvidia Yahda Yahda YahdaSalute.gif

Touche` sir. I would like to be able to play the game on my 'current' set up though.

Av8er, i'm not looking for a new video card. Although it seems ATI is like the plague for gaming. (funny, because the guy at the PC store recomended ATI...bastard...hehe)

Back on topic....Looking for those who have set CPU (not video card) affinity for their multi-core processors, and their experience with squashing the CTB (crash to briefing) issue.

Thanks again.

The only experience I have of crashing back to Briefing Screen on a few occasions was cured by clicking on "Reset CFS3 Files".I lost all my pilots and some settings but it cured the crash.I am running an Intel D915 which is barely adequate.

I solved all my problems by downloading and running AMD_Processor_Driver_1320053 which is 14Mb. (I have a 5200+ Athlon overclocked 10%)

In all seriousness the newer ATI cards, working in tandum with the AMD machines, have come a long way, it's only that CFS3 is very old technology, evidenced by your desire to run single core

I'm wondering if part your yadda, yadda. yadda contains a dedicated sound card, which has been proven over & over to increase performance

Plus if I was you, I'd dump that unpredictable Vista for Windows 7 64 at my earliest oppertunity

Phase III was promised to install on Vista and it did. But with some parts of OFF, all bets are off with Vista. It'll always run fine when tried that first time. It's the second time, due to the unpredictability of VISTA, you COULD mess-up your entire installation of Phase III, or you COULD have no problems: YOUR CHOICE

Sooo with Vista, do you feel LUCKY Today

Al,

I do understand you're trying to be helpful, however.....

ATI cards work just fine on an Intel platform, not just on AMD....the same as Nvidia will work fine on either platform. It all comes down to the end user's ability to set things up properly.....period.

Glad to see you mentioned at least something about core affinity in general, because I thought that's what his question was about.

As far as dedicated soundcards increasing performance......this used to be true, particularly where older hardware (specifically CPU's) came into play. The onboard sound chips would eat a certain amount of CPU cycles (and still do). This scenario doesn't really apply any more with newer technology. If he was running a 5 year old processor, it might be a useful bit of info.

Although I'm not a big fan of the Vista OS (far from it), I have two friends who are both running BHH just fine with that operating system. Neither of them has experienced the doomsday scenario your theory paints here, so I'm not sure just what exactly you're basing this on.

I'm also unsure just exactly what the rest of your post has to do with core affinity. It would probably be best copied and pasted into the tips and tricks section, which is, I might add, where your strongsuit lies.

Cheers,

Parky

The Doomsday Senerio was somebody who was running Vista, on his new machine, but previously ran XP for Phase II asked if some of the features of Phase II QC still existed. Sooo I told him how to gain access to CFS3 QC. All was fine, until the following night when he tried to play OFF, he was greeted by multible error messages, upon re-booting he got as far as WWI World Materializing and everything froze solid. The next time he receieved the Fatal Message, 'OFF will now close'. Sooo there I stood with egg on my face.

I told him about searching your Hidden Folders prior to reinstalling. All was quiet on the western front again, but you can bet your butt he stayed away from CFS3 QC

If the reactions of Vista, are NOT so unpredictable, why pray tell didn't CFS3 QC rate it's own tab on the main page, as it's certainly got enough variables.

Instead it's access was hidden away, like a crazy uncle drinks.gif

PS . . . Everything past the .. 'If I were you line', was taken from 'Tips & Cheats' where it normally resides

The little bit about the 'Ultimate Tourist' was the only addition

Fair enough.

I'll also candidly admit that I've benefited more than once from some of the info you've posted in the Tips and Cheats section. Your familiarity with the GUI, controls section of the game, and some of the more subtle hidden items is second to none. It is indeed, as mentioned previously, your area of expertise.

By the way.....it may sometimes seem like I'm just busting your balls. I'm not. It's important though, if you're going to be handing out advice (specifically hardware related) that your information is accurate and up to snuff. If it isn't, the potential for it costing someone their hard-earned cash for little or no gain is a very real possibility.

I find the best approach to providing information we're not absolutely certain of is simply this: "If in doubt....leave it out".

Cheers Mate,

Parky

Edited by Parky

Thank you for your replies gents. Some very good ideas/sugestions. If i was a bit more computer savy i might be able to figure some of this stuff out on my own. But in all honesty i'm one of those gamers who goes to the pc store and says..."gaming rig" to the guy and lets him build it. no.gif

Ill get started on some of these ideas today. Not worried about loosing pilots or having to reinstall OFF / CFS3 from scratch, since i've done that twice already. And the game itself runs perfectly ..... besides this one crash (one crash that happens 100% of my campaign missions though.)

On a side note, I can play a MP game from takeoff to landing if someone else is hosting. I have yet (knock on wood) to crash to briefing while another player is hosting the game.

S!

Thank you for your replies gents. Some very good ideas/sugestions.

Jim Attrill's post was close, but may not be the exact dual core optimizer you need for your Athlon 64. You might try a newer version here: http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/dynamicDetails.aspx?ListID=c5cd2c08-1432-4756-aafa-4d9dc646342f&ItemID=153

CFS3 stuttered like crazy before I applied this driver. You can safely install it without any danger of corrupting your OFF installation.

Hope this helps.

Jim Attrill's post was close, but may not be the exact dual core optimizer you need for your Athlon 64. You might try a newer version here: http://support.amd.c...342f&ItemID=153

CFS3 stuttered like crazy before I applied this driver. You can safely install it without any danger of corrupting your OFF installation.

Hope this helps.

The problem I had was with CFS3 while I was waiting for OFF in the post. Funnily enough it flew ok, but the starting scene with the pilot was stuttering badly to the extent that I thought he was Michael Jackson in disguise. :cool:

I never had a problem with OFF and CFS3 improved a lot but not 100%. No matter, I have since uninstalled CFS3 anyway.

I have downloaded the new driver and will try it, though I'm not sure I really need it and should leave well alone.