Sign in to follow this  
Creaghorn

effect file for more realism

for all who want to have more realism in BHAH,

there are two files:

effects and effectsnotracer

if you drop the "effects" file into C:\Programmes\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields you won't see any distant bullet-impact effects anymore (brown dust and small particles etc). only if you hit the engine you will see sparks. nonetheless if you are close and damage him, you'll see debris flying off, but no effects from further distance anymore. you will also see bulletholes in canvas and oil or petrol leaks etc. as it was before.

if you use "effectnotracer", you'll find out the same realism as above but additionally no tracersmoke. all you have to do is rename "effectsnotracer" into "effects" and drop it into C:\Programmes\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields. also, if using this second effectsfile, you have to drop the two DDS files into C:\Programmes\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields\effects\fxtextures.

with that you won't see neither bullets nor any tracer anymore. so you have to get really really close and aim well. personally i'll use the second feature till mid 1917, then i'll go back to the above effects file because tracers then became common among scouts.

please first backup any file you will overwrite, so in case something goes wrong you can put the original files back, but as long as i have tested no problem occured.

original effectfile belongs to OBD and the devs, i just tweaked a little bit to add more realism for all hardcore realism guys.

for the effectsnotracer file there are two dds files needed but the attachment doesn't allow me to load it up. so if somebody wants to use the this effect file please pm me. instructions are north of your position (i love this quote of uncleal). it's really easy. have fun

creaghorn

Edited by Creaghorn

Thanks Creag, I'm going to give the effects.xml a go (I'll keep my tracers though). :good:

for all who want to have more realism in BHAH,

there are two files:

effects and effectsnotracer

if you drop the "effects" file into C:\Programmes\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields you won't see any distant bullet-impact effects anymore (brown dust and small particles etc). only if you hit the engine you will see sparks. nonetheless if you are close and damage him, you'll see debris flying off, but no effects from further distance anymore. you will also see bulletholes in canvas and oil or petrol leaks etc. as it was before.

if you use "effectnotracer", you'll find out the same realism as above but additionally no tracersmoke. all you have to do is rename "effectsnotracer" into "effects" and drop it into C:\Programmes\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields. also, if using this second effectsfile, you have to drop the two DDS files into C:\Programmes\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields\effects\fxtextures.

with that you won't see neither bullets nor any tracer anymore. so you have to get really really close and aim well. personally i'll use the second feature till mid 1917, then i'll go back to the above effects file because tracers then became common among scouts.

please first backup any file you will overwrite, so in case something goes wrong you can put the original files back, but as long as i have tested no problem occured.

original effectfile belongs to OBD and the devs, i just tweaked a little bit to add more realism for all hardcore realism guys.

for the effectsnotracer file there are two dds files needed but the attachment doesn't allow me to load it up. so if somebody wants to use the this effect file please pm me. instructions are north of your position (i love this quote of uncleal). it's really easy. have fun

creaghorn

Just to ask can this be achieved by lowering the effects slider in workshop....what actually does this slider affect ty

Just to ask can this be achieved by lowering the effects slider in workshop....what actually does this slider affect ty

not sure, but as long as i remember it reduces overall effects like sparks and explosions and stuff like that (e.g. a plane burns lightly, after a while the engine explodes and the whole crate is covered in flames). with reduced settings you'll see a smaller flame and that's it, maybe no more ripped canvas etc. with my file you still have everything like in full slider, just the unrealistic "indicators" at bulletimpact are no more besides hitting the engine or petroltank. you can still see bulletholes and ripped canvas though when close enough.