Sign in to follow this  
Check Six

OT - Another great one receives his wings

I purchased a magazine today, and was saddened to read this...

Gunther Rall

1918-2009

Generalleutnant Gunther Rall, the third highest-scoring fighter pilot of all time with 275 victories, died at the age of 91 on October 4, two days after suffering a heart attack at his home in Germany.

Rall joined the German Army in 1936, but after transfer to the Luftwaffe he qualified as a pilot in 1938. Posted to JG52 as a Leutnant flying the Messerschmitt Bf 109E, he gained his first victory on May 12, 1940, when he shot down a French Air Force Curtiss Hawk 75A.

During the Battle of Britain with JG52 he scored no more victories, and in the spring of 1941 he flew in the Balkans Campaign. During Operation Barbarossa Rall began to amass victories. In 1942 he was awarded the Knight's Cross, and in November he reached the 100-victory milestone. His most destructive month was October 1943, when he accounted for 40 aircraft. He flew a total of 621 combat missions, and survived being shot down no fewer than eight times.

In 1956 Rall rejoined the Luftwaffe, and was closely involved with the introduction of the Lockheed F-104 into service. He retired in October 1975 after spending 18 months as a NATO military attache.

RIP Gunther.

Blue Skies.

Salute.gif

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125548213064683963.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/military-obituaries/air-force-obituaries/6299837/Generalleutnant-Gnther-Rall.html

Edited by Check Six

Thanks for the posting, CheckSix - I had not known, that he was still alive?

He must have been a man with very strong nerves, to survive so many sorties,

and then even get flying the Lockheed Starfighter later.

Gunther Rall

1918-2009

A valiant foe of my ancestors and a likable enough guy from what I've seen of him in interviews during documentaries of his battles. He has surely earned Valhalla. I drink to his shade drinks.gif

Rest in Peace... May he be ever on Eternal Patrol... :salute: