Sign in to follow this  
appraiserfl

Is Crossfire supported at all?

Hello gals and gents,

Well I have been playing this game on my XFX 5870 and it runs very nice (everything set to 5) at 2560x1600 and I have even been able to use SoftTH and play with good frame rates at 4960x1600 (everything set to 3, except aircraft at 5), so I stepped it up last week and purchased a Sapphire 5970 and I got nearly the same frame rates with that as I did with the 5870 :(

I was actually getting slightly less frames with the 5970 as it is downclocked lower than the 5870, however, that should not be a factor as it has TWO GPUS in it versus the 5870s one gpu!

So what gives, when I had my 8800 ultras in SLI there was a huge improvement in FPS versus only one card. Does ati crossfire just flat out suck with this game or is there something I was doing wrong? For the record, I had the latest drivers installed... but I would also like to add that due to a defective fan and major screen artifacting/distortion, I ended up RMAing the 5970 so I don't have it to test right now. However, I am considering telling them to just refund my money if OFF does not support crossfire.

The SLi / Crossfire issue is independent of the game. Crossfire should work just like SLi did. Using 2 graphics cards to process the video portion. It's not like the Nvidia PhysX where the game has to support it. Crossfire and SLi are independent. Not sure what setup you have, for your motherboard, or what it supports. I've heard some boards support both SLi, and Crossfire, but my own rig, the eVGA 780i supports only SLi 2 and 3 way. So not knowing what you have I would check to see if the board supports it first.

cant give specs to support this,,but its my understanding off does not support crossfire (ie,,,no performance gains)

SLI / Crossfire independency is not true. Games do need to be written specifically to take advantage of the mutliple GPUs, just like hyperthreading of CPUs.

In the case of OFF, the game engine does not support crossfire functionality.

The engine is just too old, and the coding has not been rewritten to support this added option beyond the functionality of higher resolutions.

It does make me wonder about nVidia cards, however.

Is the game properly "tricked" into seeing one video card or is it only using one card?

I don't have the answer for this one.

Obviously, if a player is playing the game at a resolution above 2048X1535, which is the maximum analog resolution that can be displayed through a single DVI, HDMI, or VGA port, there are two cards active, BUT is there any additional added benefits shown in OFF in SLI mode beyond the basic resolution mapping?

SLI / Crossfire independency is not true. Games do need to be written specifically to take advantage of the mutliple GPUs, just like hyperthreading of CPUs.

In the case of OFF, the game engine does not support crossfire functionality.

The engine is just too old, and the coding has not been rewritten to support this added option beyond the functionality of higher resolutions.

It does make me wonder about nVidia cards, however.

Is the game properly "tricked" into seeing one video card or is it only using one card?

I don't have the answer for this one.

Obviously, if a player is playing the game at a resolution above 2048X1535, which is the maximum analog resolution that can be displayed through a single DVI, HDMI, or VGA port, there are two cards active, BUT is there any additional added benefits shown in OFF in SLI mode beyond the basic resolution mapping?

well I am running at a resolution of 4960x1600 and I would like to be able to take advantage of my TriFire 5870 + 5970 setup to play OFF with Hi settings at this massive resolution. As it is I can only run with settings set to 2s and 3's, and I wish my favorite game could take advantage of all this power. Here is what multi screen gaming brings to the table:

112220098260.jpg

112220098256.jpg

112220098259.jpg

102320097528.jpg

102220097518.jpg

And here are my cards

112020098244.jpg

112020098245.jpg