Sign in to follow this  
DukeIronHand

Do I need a flying Noah's Ark?

Hello,

Seems like in my own experience an awful lot of flying in OFF is done in the rain.

Then, looking at others screenshots and videos about half (it seems) are taken during a rainstorm or rain.

At the risk of sounding stupid is there a way to change this via settings or .xml files?

Bad flying days are part of the WW1 pilots lot when, because of weather (even a high wind on a clear day) there no was flying.

The CFS3/OFF engine is not (or maybe cannot?) modeling this. Obviously weather was less of a issue with WW2 (CFS3) AC.

I understand that the "real life" AC could fly in the rain though, in my reading, it was not done a lot.

On top of the wood and fabric plane (though doped) getting soaked rain meant (usually) high winds, low ceilings, and poor visibility in general.

Hello,

Seems like in my own experience an awful lot of flying in OFF is done in the rain.

Then, looking at others screenshots and videos about half (it seems) are taken during a rainstorm or rain.

At the risk of sounding stupid is there a way to change this via settings or .xml files?

Bad flying days are part of the WW1 pilots lot when, because of weather (even a high wind on a clear day) there no was flying.

The CFS3/OFF engine is not (or maybe cannot?) modeling this. Obviously weather was less of a issue with WW2 (CFS3) AC.

I understand that the "real life" AC could fly in the rain though, in my reading, it was not done a lot.

On top of the wood and fabric plane (though doped) getting soaked rain meant (usually) high winds, low ceilings, and poor visibility in general.

During great floods such as Noah endured, being aloft doesn't seem to be any problem at all. No land to ...err...LAND on could be a concern though. Anyone got any floaties?

Seriously. You can adjust weather conditions in the workshop. Make it nice and sunny all the time.

Blue Skies.

grin.gif

Seriously. You can adjust weather conditions in the workshop. Make it nice and sunny all the time.

Blue Skies.

grin.gif

Yes I could go that route.

I guess may fantasy would be for the campaign engine to have a feature like "Your scheduled patrol for June 9, 1917 at 0800 has been canceled due to poor weather (rain and high winds)" and then the campaign advancing to the next scheduled patrol day with a weather check being done by the computer for that day.

Probably a pipe dream I guess!

Duke, what time is your campaign?

European wheather is like this:

Rainy: November, December.

Snow: January, February, early March

Mixed: March, April

Sunny: May, June, July, August

Mixed: September, October

OFF reflects that quite good. So my advice: start a campaign on 1. May. You'll like it!

(Oh, and check your "workshop" settings. Wheather should follow camaign dynamicly - not be static.

But there you may even be able to set a static, always sunny wheather.)

Duke, what time is your campaign?

European wheather is like this:

Rainy: November, December.

Snow: January, February, early March

Mixed: March, April

Sunny: May, June, July, August

Mixed: September, October

OFF reflects that quite good. So my advice: start a campaign on 1. May. You'll like it!

(Oh, and check your "workshop" settings. Wheather should follow camaign dynamicly - not be static.

But there you may even be able to set a static, always sunny wheather.)

About weather over North/ Northeast France, I would say: Rainy in March, Mixed in April and May, perhaps Sunny in early September. Add a general touch of Rainy for Northern France (Somme, Flanders, the English front).

About weather over North/ Northeast France, I would say: Rainy in March, Mixed in April and May, perhaps Sunny in early September. Add a general touch of Rainy for Northern France (Somme, Flanders, the English front).

I always start my campaigns (even in RB3D) in February or March 1917. That way my pilot (assuming he lives that long) will be involved in "Bloody April." A bit of weirdness on my part I suppose!

I guess to make myself clearer I have no problem with days of rainy weather/bad weather in March or whenever but I wish the OFF engine would not schedule missions for those days. And to have the time advance accordingly with "flying weather" checks done on a daily basis with missions scheduled only on these good days.

That would be very cool...if doable!

Edited by DukeIronHand

maybe you missed it so far, but campaign does exactly that. if weather is too bad, all flights are canceled for the day.

maybe you missed it so far, but campaign does exactly that. if weather is too bad, all flights are canceled for the day.

Well then I guess I will STFU and do some more campaign flying...I will admit I am not a "old hand" with OFF! Maybe if I stopped dying so fast...

Or perhaps the AI's version of "good flying weather" is different then my own!

EDIT: I wonder if the standard that the AI uses to determine a "good" flying day is adjustable in a .xml file in case I don't agree with what the AI decides to call good flying weather repeatedly.

Thanks Creaghorn - I will pay closer attention.

Edited by DukeIronHand

Indeed, if the weather is too bad, the meteorological officer tells you that there will be no flying today. You could make for clear weather in your workshop and cancel flights on random days is another ploy. But it appears you made your own bed, and now must sleep in it.

If you ALWAYS start a new pilot just before Bloody April, there will always be atrocious weather, and very heavy enemy activity.

I think I'll apply for a transfer, Sir.

I DO admire that you don't shun that period if possible, nor begin careers long before it, to get used to the aircraft, rack up a few kills and a couple of medals perhaps. Well done!

The OFF weather files are based on historical data from many sources. While it is true that weather restricted flying on many days, it is also very true that there were very few days when there was no flying on the Front. OFF reflects this - levels of activity drop on dud weather days, and very rarely all flying operations are scrubbed, as they were on that day in the Great War, but those days are few. Remember, these skies are Over Flanders Fields, not sunny Southern California.

Cheers,

shred

In historical mode the weather is as Shred describes and pretty rough at that time. However you can also set it to "AI weather" mode (workshop top left) where it will be generated randomly (according to the seasons etc of course).

Remember too, that the weather in 1917 in particular was unseasonal, following on from a bad winter in '16 and including the wettest summer locals had seen for some years, hence the quagmire of Third Ypres (Passchendaele).

Rainy

Snow

Mixed

Sunny

Mixed

That's British weather... yesterday. :grin: