Sign in to follow this  
Guest Eject

Games That Ruins Family/Love

Guest Eject

Guys, I just stumbled upon this topic here,

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/gadgets_and_gaming/article6927526.ece,

that first found at what? rense dot org or com? I do not know where it is located. In the USA? Europe? when I searched swine flue....

Can anyone inform me where to report of MANY CD/DVD shops in Jakarta alone that sell copies of our great games here???? Where? To TW directly, and how. I got my CDs from a friend of mine, an ex colleague, who travels a lot overseas when he stopped over Singapore I guess two years ago. Thanks for ur assistance.

Btw, MOST if not ALL the shops that sell those "hijacked" original products of TW are owned by, IT IS A FACT, nughty Chinese rich people here in major cities in Indonesia! And No cops did nor do constructive measures v this sickening unfair business practices.

However, not the entire Indonesian-Chinese here are evil. U wanna buy the New Vista or even perhaps the latest WINDOWS 7 in Jakarta? Very cheap, it is obly Rupiah 50K or roughly USD5.00 !!! This is simply an IPR Theft! (Intellectual Prop. Rights)

No way for us, it will ruin our not cheap PCs or Laptops.:salute:

From the article you posted....

"Divorce A Californian woman, 28, who identified herself as “Jocelyn” told Yahoo Games that she divorced her husband of six years after he spent all his free time on World of Warcraft. Jocelyn ended her relationship with her husband, Peter, by explaining to him: “I’m real, and you’re giving me up for a fantasy land. You’re destroying your life, your six-year marriage, and you’re giving it up for something that isn’t even real” "

I have to agree with the wife... being a developer for OFF (well a skinner and soundman really) and RB3D, there had to be a point where it stopped and needed to be scheduled into my life like taking out the trash. When I played MMP in RB3D, it was a 3+ hour commitment from start to finish. Certainly not something that bodes well with any wife/girfriend if you do it every night or twice a week like I did.

But my point is this... these are games, and should never be taken for anything more than that. Our ability to interact with the Real World changes, and our relationships suffer when it consumes us. It's just a game, and that's all it will ever be. Like she says, if you're willing to loose a marriage, a life, and everything you worked for so you can be the best at something that means nothing... you have a very serious problem.

Games are as addicting as drugs/alcohol. Those that have trouble socializing can easily become something they are not in the real-world, and that is popular or even powerful. But no matter what, it's a shame to loose a human being like this.

Remember back in the 70's and early 80's the phenomenon of Dungeons & Dragons? This is worse, and on a much broader scale.

Hey, I have no issue with getting together with the guys and racking up some kills on OFF MP, or COD2... but I won't loose my marriage or the relationship with my daughter over it... ever.

All the best, and thanks for posting that article.. it's a VERY good point and should be taken very seriously.

OvS

Comparing Dungeons and Dragons with the lonelyness of a computer screen is silly. D&D required you to have at least a few friends with a similar interest - or meet such people.

Everything is additive in my eyes. All that needs to counter it is either self-dicipline or willingness to listen to other people. The Game Addiction is nothing new. Counterstrike and Battlefield 2, as well as numerous other games has been accused of the same thing.

Please play responsivly. Just like with everything else.

• Dislike 2

Comparing Dungeons and Dragons with the lonelyness of a computer screen is silly. D&D required you to have at least a few friends with a similar interest - or meet such people.

Everything is additive in my eyes. All that needs to counter it is either self-dicipline or willingness to listen to other people. The Game Addiction is nothing new. Counterstrike and Battlefield 2, as well as numerous other games has been accused of the same thing.

Please play responsivly. Just like with everything else.

Tell me... why is it silly.... instead of 6 friends sitting at a table someone's basement, you now have 6 friends hooked-up via the internet sitting in their own basements... or via a LAN in 1 basement on separate computers... how is it lonely? You put on a headset and communicate with all the other players via teamspeak or equivelent.... sometimes the people on your team are people you work with that form a clan. I don't see your point calling it silly.

Instead of using your imagination, you are using a mouse to manipulate your character in front of you in a virtual world that is "alive".

Instead of rolling the dice to determine the outcome... the computer does it for you with the same calculations based on tables, HP's... etc.. etc.. etc...

It's the same thing... just with better technology. Hence why these games are called 'Real Time' as the moves are done at the same time, and not in turns as it used to be on computer games and D&D modules back in the 80's.

Point is back in the 80's there were quite a few reports of people killing themselves because they lost they're level whatever fighter, or cleric... or lost a tournamnet... marriages were lost over D&D addictions... look it up... it was the same result.

OvS