Sign in to follow this  
HumanDrone

Confused Newbie

Hello, all!

I've been watching the development of OFF for a couple of years over at combatfs.com and this year have decided to purchase the latest and greatest for my brother-in-law as a Christmas gift.

But it's a little confusing - is BHaH the newest version, or just an add-on to an "add-on" for CFS3? No disrespect intended, I've done my share of coding and think that what you all have accomplished is amazing.

How do I go about buying OFF? And yes, I have CFS3. But as you might guess from my screen name that I'm not that great a pilot!

Thanks, and happy Thanksgiving to those of you that may be in the USA!

Tom

Hello, all!

I've been watching the development of OFF for a couple of years over at combatfs.com and this year have decided to purchase the latest and greatest for my brother-in-law as a Christmas gift.

But it's a little confusing - is BHaH the newest version, or just an add-on to an "add-on" for CFS3? No disrespect intended, I've done my share of coding and think that what you all have accomplished is amazing.

How do I go about buying OFF? And yes, I have CFS3. But as you might guess from my screen name that I'm not that great a pilot!

Tom

Hi HD... welcome to OFF!

To purchase OFF, simply click on our banner above, go to our website and click the 'Buy' button. In the USA, it should not take more than 7 business days, depending on how close you live to Cali. I'm in NY, so it took 6 days... yes, even though I am on the Dev Team, I bought my own as we all did... it's good luck. :drinks:

BHaH is the latest version, and most up-to-date Phase of the 3 that we did. The previous two phases were freeware, and are still available via DVD request from other Community members.

BHaH will take CFS3 and transform it completely with seamless transition from the OFF Manager, directly into the game, unlike previous versions. Plus the list of features is enormous in comparison to our other previous freeware phases.

The only download he'll have to make will come directly from our website for the latest Patch of BHaH. So keep that in mind, once it's loaded... update it. As any good dev team does, we work very hard to keep it updated and bug-free.

As far as being a good pilot... it takes time, and time.. and more time. I am not very good either, so don't fret. I wouldn't stand a chance against half the guys on this forum! :good:

All the best, and tell your Brother-in-Law to join the forum... plenty of help and good people here... no loons!!

OvS

Edited by OvS

Hello, all!

Tom

HumanDrone,

Over Flanders' Fields: Between Heaven and Hell is an "adaptation" of MS CFS3. Whilst it is not an "add-on", CFS3 disc is required to play OFF:BHaH, as the simulator uses the CFS3 engine. Please do not be turned off by some less than enthusiastic reviews of CFS3, as the game developers from OBD Software have performed a magical transformation, converting a less then satisfactory simulator into an immersion par excellence.

You can purchase OFF from

http://www.overflandersfields.com/info.htm

It can take between 5 and 10 days to the USA, depending upon whether there is snow or sleet or all that other stuff in your postal worker's creed. It took 6 days to reach me in Australia.

If you buy OFF for your brother-in-law, you should make sure he also has a copy of MS CFS3, as that disc is required to be in the computer drive to play the sim (unless he is lucky enough to have the DVD version of CFS3, in which case, OFF can be played without a disc in the drive). Check out the link I gave you for the requirements of his computer. OFF has fairly heavy demands on computing power, but its worth it.

You may think about buying OFF for yourself, as once you see it up and running on your brother-in-law's machine, you will drool on his carpet, and curse yourself for giving it to him, run home and order one for yourself. While you're waiting for it to arrive, download the latest updates from the link, and read all the "stickies" here to get a good idea of how to tweak OFF to suit you perfectly.

Strap yourself in, you're in for one hell of a ride.

Welcome HumanDrone.

You may think about buying OFF for yourself, as once you see it up and running on your brother-in-law's machine, you will drool on his carpet, and curse yourself for giving it to him, run home and order one for yourself. While you're waiting for it to arrive, download the latest updates from the link, and read all the "stickies" here to get a good idea of how to tweak OFF to suit you perfectly.

Strap yourself in, you're in for one hell of a ride.

Exactly.

You don't need to be a greater pilot to have fun with this combat sim. I'm not very good either.

Cheers

CheckSix: OFF has fairly heavy demands on computing power, but its worth it.

My system is not the latest stuff (CPU E6650 Dual Core, ATI RADEON X1900 Graphic card),

abd all is running fine. You can choose lower settings in the "Graphics Config", as I did,

and the amazing thing is: it still looks very good. (see my screenshots in the thread of same name).

CheckSix: You may think about buying OFF for yourself, as once you see it up and running on your brother-in-law's machine

A clear NO to that!

If you are only a little bit into WW1 air combat sims, you MAY not only think about buying it - you WILL damn yourself

for not having ordered two copies straight away.

And I am a normal buyer and user, I don't get percentage for saying that.

The only thing you might not like about it, is your minor ability to survive the AI's fighting you.

But even for that case there are two solutions:

1. you can adjust a lot in the "workshop", to make it easier

2. train it and get better

Well, thank you all! I'll get the order going forthwith.

Just to add some color and background, while it's my brother-in-law that wants it, it's MY computer that it will be installed on, alongside our 'regular' CFS3, which we enjoy up to our limited aviation capabilities. He doesn't have a computer; if it weren't for CFS3 and trying to get some exposure for his art (which I also manage), he wouldn't have a thing to do with computers! He's not mentally challenged or anything like that, he just lives a simple life; no cell phone, no checking account, etc... I think you could put all of his worldly possesions in the back of a pickup truck, furniture and all.

It's hilarious watching us fly, and I at least should know better - I'm a mechanical engineer and when younger I was an Air Force ROTC pilot wannabe. I know the basics of flight, the purpose of trim, flaps, CG, navigation, etc, and try to keep my turns coordinated. But still, the only way I've ever managed to shoot anything down is to get on it's six and pump in enough lead to sink a battleship and have my barrels yellow-hot and limp as overcooked spaghetti! My enemies are on the "sitting duck" settings, we just do quick combat, all that stuff.

He's even worse than I am, mercilessly yanking the stick around and unconsciously twisting the rudder beyond all reason, while using the throttle like you would in your car, spraying lead all over the sky - he'd probably kill more innocent bystanders on the ground... He likes to fly the German aircraft, but every once in a while "snaps out" and starts shooting his wingmen down, just to hear the radio protests in German!

But it's given us a lot of respect for what these guys went through and the skill they must have had. We went to more realistic settings a couple of times and lasted about 30 seconds...with a real load of ammo, it's amazing how fast you're out. It sure makes you a lot pickier about when you take your shot (and miss!).

I'm hoping to upgrade the computer at some point, but for now I'm running an Athlon 3200XP with 2 GB of low-latency RAM and a pretty decent AGP 8X video card with WinXP SP2. Legacy stuff but not bad for the world CFS3 was created in. The stick is the old Microsoft Force Feedback Pro.

Thanks again, all, I look forward to "finding the Red Baron, and shooting him down." *

Best to all, thanks again!

Tom

*Charlie Brown in "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown"

HumanDrone, that sounds great you guys are gonna have so much fun together. I envy you being able to share. You know you could fly a 2 seater together. You could sit up front and pilot with him sitting behind you spraying the sky with lead. It would work like this you fly to the assigned target he's the observer. You have the joystick, he uses a gamepad to control the machine gun. At any one time tho only one of you would have control. If you switch to the observer position the computer A/I becomes the pilot but you BIL can work the machine gun. It's a matter of switching control back and forth. I do this all the time by myself so 2 guys could be a team and share the experience rather than one just watching. Just a thought. Best wishes to you and don't be a stranger around here.

Thanks, both of you. And yes, I did see I'm at bald minimums on the hardware. That's as good an excuse as any to petition the CFO (a.k.a. SWMBO) for some better hardware! I'd considered, when I got my wife a computer, making sure it could be used for a "gunner's position" as well! I have a wireless "n" router, so it shouldn't be too hard to configure, but I'll cross that bridge if'n'when!

Best,

Tom

I just had the thought: the "Easter Egg" department should have it set to show the Christmas Truce in 1914. Soccer (football) games & what not in the scenery...

A touching occasion, to be sure, and I'm even more sure that I'm a lo-o-ong way from the first guy to think of it, but just in case....

Waiting for my DVD,

Tom

HumanDrone,

You are able to have more than two pilots in your roster, and so will be able to enlist a pilot for yourself, (for instance) flying Sopwith Triplanes with Naval 8 Squadron based at XXXXX base during the month of xxxx, 19xx, and your brother-in-law may choose to fly as a German pilot with a different aircraft, squadron, place and time.

Then you could take it in turns if you like, he can fly a mission until he gets shot down, or until he returns to his aerodrome, then you go to the pilot's menu, and switch over to your chap.

Or, as suggested, you can both fly in the same two-seater, one as pilot, one as observer/gunner. Please note, as already mentioned, you will not both be able to have control of your respective stations at the same time. The pilot can have control until enemies appear behind you. Then you can switch the piloting duties to the Artificial Intelligence and the gunner can then take control of the rear-facing gun to protect you. When the danger is over, the pilot can take control again.

Another thing to note..."spraying ammunition" all about the place is not the way things work here, as you'll soon learn. Due to the very limited power of these aircraft, a minimal amount of ammunition was carried. If you get into a scrap, and you have no more ammunition, it is a VERY long flight home, swerving, banking, and avoiding the enemy pursuers. Even if you're "scrambling"...fighting above your own airfield, you must discipline yourself in your gun usage, as whilst in the case of a scramble, ammunition may or may not be an issue, but GUN JAMS are a real issue. Vickers, Lewis, and Spandau guns all suffered from jams, and this sim will force you to limit yourself to two or three second bursts at the most. Any longer, and you'll both run out of ammunition AND jam your gun.

Of course, you can select "unlimited ammunition" and "no gun jams" in the workshop, but I guess as you get better and better (as you will), you will probably willingly set limitations for yourself, and this will be one of the first things you will attempt at "full" realism. (On any given mission, you can also choose to take less ammunition if you wish to challenge yourself, or to save weight).

You will struggle at first. We all did (some still do). These planes aren't "easy" to fly (for the most part), as they are slow, underpowered, cumbersome, not very aerodynamically sound etc. You will need more rudder input than what you have been used to (if you've been flying WW2 planes), and it will be difficult to prevent these aircraft from stalling and spinning. Patience is required. Become a "stalker/hunter", take your time to gain altitude, and a more advantageous position. Do not feel you must attack if you are outnumbered or outgunned. We have ALL "snuck home".

You're going to love this Tom. Take your time to learn to fly the aircraft, see if you can find "Boelcke's Dicta" (the rules for fighting in WW1 - try googling it) and try to remember them. They will help you stay alive. And the longer you can stay alive, the more immersed you will feel.

Good Luck.

Thanks, Check Six. What I'm wondering though,is if i have two computers, could he be in the gunner's seat on one, and I in the pilot's position on the other? I thought this was possible in an on-line game, at least in CFS3, (i.e a whole team of folks with one guy piloting the b-17 and a gang of others in the gunner positions), but perhaps this is not possible in either CFS3 or OFF.

If not, we now have the next coding nightmare! :ohmy::crazy::wacko:

Thanks for all the input. It's not lost on me,but as you say, practice, practice, practice!

Happy Thanksgiving,

Tom

Just to clarify that - the ground war is there, the major battles and front lines move as they did (in 12 main periods at least).

However the history side of the WW1 Airwar is VERY MUCH part of OFF though.

See post #26 here http://forum.combatace.com/topic/50106-off-hat-in-the-ring-more-screenshots/page__st__20

Gives you an idea of the detail in there.

Cheers

Polovski:

with regards to the level of historical detail: :yikes:

And so I've (re)learned a little history - there was no air war in 1914!

But on to more important things... THE DVD IS HERE! But it seems like a rather involved setup, so I don't know if I should attempt it tonight with my brother-in-law hanging around, or later this week when I have some of that rare quantity, "time."

I'm kinda assuming I do a second install of CFS3 alongside my original, then let the OFF DVD do it's magic on that one, then Superpatch and minipatch, then fire it up and get shot down. But unless you have some "undocumented" installation tips, there's no need to walk me through it here, I'm sure the DVD has instructions, as well as the rest of the stuff on the site here.

Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving & weekend, I was working my backside off and didn't even go near the high-speed moron (computer).

If you have CFS3 as DVD version, you don't need to install that.

Just install OFF - it will ask for the CFS3 DVD to use some data - that's it.

Then Superpatch, then latest mini-patch.

Wow, thanks Olham. I don't know if it's a DVD or not, but it is Microsoft's; I suspect it's CD.