Sign in to follow this  
Creaghorn

Much more immersion for german campaigns

for all who want to have a much more immersive german campaign!

i altered the "newspaper" file and added many more reports for the years 1916 to 1918. all additional reports are original from the german "Heeresbericht". Now you'll get the exactly same news on the apropriate days as the people in germany had at the time. for every report there is a apropriate picture included about what happens or about whom. now you can, while you have your campaign, take part of the rises and falls of the german aces, read lot more reports and pics about the big battles, speeches of the kaiser and hindenburg etc., political happenings of the time, stats etc.

i used only the heeresbericht about the western front, all other fronts i left out.

all custom news are still there (sigh, i even corrected the custom news appearing on 31. of some months wich you haven't seen yet anyway because the manager goes only to the 30.). so as a german pilot i'll read almost daily the heeresbericht and every now and then the news of the allies (custom news) which i get from prisoners. you'll take not only for instance take part of the small message about boelckes death, but take part of his rise, his death, his funeral, what the enemy had to say about him etc.

all the additional reports are in german, but i think even for nongerman speakers who fly for germany it will add a lot of immersion because it's simply nice to look at.

for everybody who wants to use it, please follow the instructions and of course backup your custom files first. it's really easy.

this pics file you have to extract somewhere and copy all pics from the folder and drop it into

C:\Programme\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields\campaigns\CampaignData\News\Pictures

if it asks you to overwrite something, just go ahead.

the following three files you simply drop into

C:\Programme\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields\campaigns\CampaignData\News

please first backup the originals.

that's it.

i tested it and now i'm even more part of this world, have a feel what's happening on the battleground, feeling sorry for the poor chaps, for the fellow pilots...

i thought about doing the same for the allied news, but i haven't found anywhere any daily or at least weekly news.

all files i altered (besides some pics i added) belong to OBD and the devs.

have fun Salute.gif

Now thats great NEWS.....

Thank u.

M

Nice one Creaghorn - Thank you for sharing them with us.

Hey thanks Creaghorn! That's going to deepen it even more. :good:

OvS

Hey thanks Creaghorn! That's going to deepen it even more. :good:

OvS

Ditto.

I have several of your mods in use now. Keep up the good work.

please don't forget to download the pics in the 2nd post if using the files, otherwise there will be a blank picture in the newspaper.

Nice one Creaghorn. The newspaper reports was another area I was hoping would be addressed in P4 but I said nowt because it's of so little importance compared with the other development the OFF team have on their plate. Now we just need an enterprising soul to do the same for the Allies... I'd offer but I'm honestly too bloody busy with RL.

Thanks Creaghorn, gonna have to brush up on my German a bit now.

-Rooster

Nice one Creaghorn. The newspaper reports was another area I was hoping would be addressed in P4 but I said nowt because it's of so little importance compared with the other development the OFF team have on their plate. Now we just need an enterprising soul to do the same for the Allies... I'd offer but I'm honestly too bloody busy with RL.

it was hell of work to do that. (first to learn the pattern of the programm and to have perfect lines, with lot of trial and error to get it right) but i could do that. all i need is some source of daily news from the allied POV, and i haven't found anything yet. to find some reports about big happenings which is written afterwards is not the point. i need some source where daily is mentioned what happened on the day before without knowing the future.

e.g.

14. may 1917:

yesterday the army of blah blah tried a brakethrough at blahblah and succeeded in gaining 300 meters ground. 120 prisoners were taken.

cpt. ball succeeded in shooting down his 40th victim.

17.may 1917:

the germans made a counterattack, but without success. casualties so far 4000 germans...

leutenant bishop shot down his 6th aircraft...

(all fictious now of course. just to tell you my point what i'm looking for)

by the way i have to mention that the allies relatively late started to mention fighterpilots in the news by name. mccudden had 30-40 kills and nobody at home new his name, besides his hometown maybe. the philosophy of crediting aces in newspapers, making them famous was more a german one. at least to midwar.

Stay tuned.

shred

Hallo Creaghorn,

Super Leistung. Ich weiß wieviel Arbeit das war. Ich habe damals für Phase 2 auch schonmal News erstellt. Als erstes schicke ich dir meine Quellen von damals:

http://www.stahlgewitter.com/17_01_00.htm (aufs Datum klicken) Dort hast du Tagesmeldungen des kompletten ersten WK.

http://diglit.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/feldztg10armee1916bis1917/0001?sid=32ea00b8fa2fc09f20deb94b860c2b7a (Zeitungsscans von damals)

http://www.firstworldwar.com/onthisday/january.htm (Tagesmeldungen in Englisch)

Bei Interesse schicke ich dir gerne meine alten News Texte 1916, 1917 und 1918 von Phase 2 , vielleicht kannst du die noch einbauen, wenn du Lust hast. Teile mir dazu am besten per PM deine Mailadresse mit. Bilder hatte ich ebenfalls erstellt. (Die würde ich dir dann auch gepackt schicken) Mit deinen Texten ergeben beide eventuell die komplettesten Zeitungsmeldungen.

Grüße vschoell

Rooster - Babelfish doesn't do badly for a computer program:

Super achievement. I how much work that was white. I at that time provided 2 already times news for phase. As the first I send my sources from at that time to you: http://www.stahlgewi...om/17_01_00.htm (on the date click) there you have daily reports of the complete first WK. http://diglit.ub.uni...0deb94b860c2b7a (Zeitungsscans from at that time) http://www.firstworl...day/january.htm (daily reports in English) With interest I send to you gladly my old news of texts 1916, 1917 and 1918 of phase 2, perhaps can you still insert, if you have desire. Parts me in addition best by PM your Mailadresse also. I had provided pictures likewise. (Those I you also packed to then send) with your texts both possibly result in the komplettesten press reports.

Pity about 'weiss' :blink:

Hahaha!! "Deunglish" - could you make sense of it?

Well done, Creaghorn! This is a great addition to the German side of things. And it sounds like Shredward is coming up with similar tweaks for the Allies. I look forward to seeing them all. BTW, if you need them, I have about six months worth of "Land and Water" weekly from 1917 that have just the sort of articles being discussed here.

Cheers!

Lou