Sign in to follow this  
appraiserfl

Anybody else using an eyefinity setup?

I am running three 20.1" dell 2007FPs in an eyefinity setup with a xfx 5870 and track ir, and I must say the immersion is amazing! OFF and IL2 are both unreal to play! But sadly I have to confess that even with this supercomputer and saweet monitor gadetry I still find it difficult to get a pilot past ten hours and twenty kills before they are killed. My last couple of pilots have been victims of sensless deaths, one clipped a tree making an emergency landing, and the last one's landing gear clipped a trane during a strife and then he too clipped a killer tree.

So here is my setup, is anybody else running triple monitors, it really is fantastic!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/l88bastard/120120098500.jpg

I was running a 30" with two 20.1"s but eyefinity does not support different monitor configs and SoftTH just was not cutting it performance wise, but I really loved how that setup looked.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/l88bastard/112220098259.jpg

I am running three 20.1" dell 2007FPs in an eyefinity setup with a xfx 5870 and track ir, and I must say the immersion is amazing! OFF and IL2 are both unreal to play! But sadly I have to confess that even with this supercomputer and saweet monitor gadetry I still find it difficult to get a pilot past ten hours and twenty kills before they are killed. My last couple of pilots have been victims of sensless deaths, one clipped a tree making an emergency landing, and the last one's landing gear clipped a trane during a strife and then he too clipped a killer tree.

So here is my setup, is anybody else running triple monitors, it really is fantastic!

http://img.photobuck...20120098500.jpg

I was running a 30" with two 20.1"s but eyefinity does not support different monitor configs and SoftTH just was not cutting it performance wise, but I really loved how that setup looked.

http://img.photobuck...12220098259.jpg

Looks amazing - one of the downsides to developing a game is never being able to actually play it.

But I have to admit I am pretty keen to look into this three monitor route that seems to be taking hold.

Can you tell us a little about it - how do you connect three monitors using software emulators (i.e without a Matrox Triple head) - I assume one needs two GPUs?

Can you tell us a little about the performance FPS wise etc?

Ta

WM

Wow!...and a Drinks Cabinet too?....Bring it ON!! :drinks:

im in love with that setup. Its not that i need it.. I WANT it..

Can i please come over and play MP. Ur on my PC.

Morris

Wow, appraiserfl, that looks like a cockpit there, indeed. Must be great fun.

About your getting shot down: von Richthofen and the other aces flew much more

defensive or careful, than we do. He only attacked, when the situation was clearly

to his advantage. They took no risks awarely - the whole thing was risky enough

even with his attitude.

Read Creaghorn's posts about his way to collect more than 200 hours it's all about

taking care of yourself first, and situational full awareness.

I try it and get better slowly, but still, I'm more the hazardous type of pilot. :cool:

Looks amazing - one of the downsides to developing a game is never being able to actually play it.

But I have to admit I am pretty keen to look into this three monitor route that seems to be taking hold.

Can you tell us a little about it - how do you connect three monitors using software emulators (i.e without a Matrox Triple head) - I assume one needs two GPUs?

Can you tell us a little about the performance FPS wise etc?

Ta

WM

The first photo is of my eyefinity setup. Eyefinity is available with the new 5000 series of ATI graphics cards as they all have two dvi outs and one displayport out. You can run three screens off of one 5000 series card! The only caveat is you need three monitors set in the same resolution. You can use different size monitors but they all have to be set at the same resolution.

My eyefinity setup is three dell 2007fp 20.1 monitors at 4800x1200 resolution and I am getting 30-60 fps with everything set to 4 except for plane detail at 5! You can find the 2007s on ebay for $100-$150 so it is not too expensive and they are IPS panels to boot!!

The second photo is when I take my 30" 2560x1600 out and rotate two of my 20.1"s in portrait mode. The only thing that will allow you to use three monitors with different resolutions is SoftTH. I have posted a detailed way to make softTH work with OFF over at widescreen gaming forum. The thread for that is here:

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=17276

If you dont have a 5000 series of ati card you will need two graphics cards to make SoftTH work, but the second GFX card does not have to be the same as the first and it does not even need to be very powerful either.

Here is SoftTHs page:

http://www.kegetys.net/SoftTH/

Here is a video I made of a 40 man dogfight, I was gettin 45-60fps with my new 5970!!

The second video i was just messin around trying to show off the ground detail.

Sorry about the picture quality, I recorded it with my cell phone, but you can get the gist of it....kinda not really lol also I was flying with my left hand and filming with my right...i am right handed so it was a bit of a disaster!

I will record better sources if anybody has any advice on how to do that, fraps maybe?

Edited by appraiserfl

Here is a video I made of a 40 man dogfight, I was gettin 45-60fps with my new 5970!!

The second video i was just messin around trying to show off the ground detail.

Sorry about the picture quality, I recorded it with my cell phone, but you can get the gist of it....kinda not really lol also I was flying with my left hand and filming with my right...i am right handed so it was a bit of a disaster!

I will record better sources if anybody has any advice on how to do that, fraps maybe?

That is amazing thanks for taking the time.

It would seem that eyefinity would be the better way to go.

What were the performance gains like between 5870 and 5890?

Ta

WM

I have ordered my ASUS 9570 ATI card.

Morris

rofl.gif

sorry 5970...

m

heat.gif

I have ordered my ASUS 9570 ATI card.

Morris

rofl.gif

sorry 5970...

m

heat.gif

What price?

WM

@ R8000.00. The asus 5970 only arrives in mid December in SA.

m

That is amazing thanks for taking the time.

It would seem that eyefinity would be the better way to go.

What were the performance gains like between 5870 and 5890?

Ta

WM

Eyefinity is definitely the way to go because SoftTH is not as optomized, however, SoftTH is the cheaper way to go because you don't have to have the latest and greatest ATI 5000 series card. SoftTH is a good staging ground for people to see if three screen gaming is for them without breaking the bank.

Unfortunately there were no performance gains between a 5970 and a 5870 because OFF does not appear to support multi GPU crossfire gaming, so only one GPU works. I am getting better performance with my 5970 because I overclocked it faster than stock 5870 speeds, however, you can overclock a 5870 higher! If you only play IL2 and OFF then I would only recommend a 5870 because both of those games do not appear to support crossfire.

I WISH WISH WISH WISH OFF supported CROSSFIRE! I have two 30" 2560x1600 monitors sitting on the floor and instead of buying a third one for eyefinity I am going to sell them both because it is just too many pixels for one gpu to push with the settings I want. Its a shame because I have a 5970 and a 5870 and I would love to crossfire all three of them with OFF on three 30" monitors!

post-54395-12599507554939.jpg

@ R8000.00. The asus 5970 only arrives in mid December in SA.

m

Yaysus. My whole computer isn't worth that much. I guess I'll have to carry on with my AMD 5200+ and 4670 graphics. And maybe I need a joystick that works. Are the Logitech ones any good? I say this because most of theirs are ambi and I am a sinister type. :cool:

Yaysus. My whole computer isn't worth that much. I guess I'll have to carry on with my AMD 5200+ and 4670 graphics. And maybe I need a joystick that works. Are the Logitech ones any good? I say this because most of theirs are ambi and I am a sinister type. :cool:

Well you live in blissful ignorance and that is perfectly alright! But gaming is a hobby for me, I enjoy building my own computers and tinkering with them. I don't throw money away at strip clubs and bars, nor do I smoke, so not having those vices allows me to have this vice! If you were to play on a triple screen setup you would probably throw your computer out the window and then proceed to max out your credit card at your favorite computer electronics retailer.

If I had a triple screen setup SWAMBO would hit me on the head with a frying pan. Or do the equivalent in words. I vote for the easy life :yes:

If I had a triple screen setup SWAMBO would hit me on the head with a frying pan. Or do the equivalent in words. I vote for the easy life :yes:

I do drink, but I don't smoke (for the last 12 years), I run cheapo old cars, so maybe I should splash out a bit on the pooter. But 3 screens is obvious spending.

All the rest is not visible to SWAMBO.

I do drink, but I don't smoke (for the last 12 years), I run cheapo old cars, so maybe I should splash out a bit on the pooter. But 3 screens is obvious spending.

All the rest is not visible to SWAMBO.

OMG you poor SWAMBO bastards! I can understand SWAMBO if the children need braces, or the car needs a/c, or if money is really really tight. HOWEVER, if you have the money for a toy that makes you happy and all of the bills are paid and the kids are well fed, and SWAMBO gets those new pair of shoes every month, then what is the problem? My God man, my woman does not swambo me and she is beautiful! Lol shes actually the one that encouraged me to step out of my IL2 box and get OFF!

SWAMBO should be happy that you are sitting at home playing the computer where she can monitor your activities instead of you going out, doing God knows what, God knows where at all hours of the night!

Besides how would swambo notice something like this!

Edited by appraiserfl

MAN!

OK, that does it. I'm gonna have to get a much bigger stocking to hang on the mantle this Christmas.

This guy is eating crumpets and hay for the rest of the war so I have declassified some of his widescreen shots!

Can you post some shots where you are not zoomed back so far from the guns in the cockpit?

Even default zoom?

Thanks

WM

Can you post some shots where you are not zoomed back so far from the guns in the cockpit?

Even default zoom?

Thanks

WM

Ohh all of the shots I posted are at default zoom! I just sooo wide that you think I am zoomed all the way back! Heres a pic I have zoomed in on the guns.

http://img.photobuck...09-18-33-55.jpg

And here is the same Pic I have on page one, which shows you how it physically looks in person

http://img.photobuck...20120098500.jpg

This should give you a better idea of how much more immersive & better widescreen gaming is!:heat:

This is a pic taken at 2560x1600

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/l88bastard/Shot10-04-09-15-34-49.jpg

And Here are some more at 4800x1200

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/l88bastard/Shot12-05-09-01-38-28.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/l88bastard/Shot12-05-09-01-33-37.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/l88bastard/Shot12-05-09-01-36-04.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/l88bastard/Shot12-05-09-01-26-28.jpg

Ill post more pics when I get a chance!

Edited by appraiserfl

hmm ihave an old matrox 256pci card for 4 monitors wonder if that would i have like 10 20" crt laying around hmm iwonder