Sign in to follow this  
Stratos

Need help of Decals and Skinners

I'm trying to understand that DECALS secrets that make our game so modable. I'm using the WOI MirageIII rudder decal, to add a french flag in the rudder "Rudderstripes125" is called, the problem is that of course is not in the correct degree, anyone know If is possible to alter that decal in order to have it looking like in this profile?

21_2.jpg

This is how currently works

img00002-5.jpg

Will apreciatte the help.

Now for the skinners, anyone know where to get a template with this words: Snecma Atar 9 and Mirage IIIC with the font used by Dassault painters.

21_2-1.jpg

Thanks!

Take a look inside a decals ini, you'll probably find this statement: (Sabre would be a good example)

[Decal001]

MeshName=Fuselage

DecalLevel=0

DecalFacing=RIGHT

FilenameFormat=Insignia

Position=-1.727,-0.014

Rotation=0.0

Scale=1.5

DecalMaxLOD=4

this gives a "square" mounting (meaning, straight to fore/aft and left/right lines)

[Decal008]

MeshName=LeftWing

DecalLevel=0

DecalFacing=BOTTOM

FilenameFormat=NationName

Position=-3.5,-0.541

Rotation=-28.0

Scale=2.5

DecalMaxLOD=4

[Decal009]

MeshName=RightOuterWing

DecalLevel=0

DecalFacing=TOP

FilenameFormat=NationName

Position=2.9,-0.355

Rotation=-28.0

Scale=2.5

DecalMaxLOD=3

these will (more or less) follow the wing sweep.

For a slanted rudder decal, one needs to figure out the angles, and right and left will be different. One wil have a minus number (-28, fer instance), and one will be positive (28). Using a decal, however, WILL loose you the panel and rivet lines.

It's simpler to just paint them on rudder (3Ederive.bmp on TMFs MirIII). Of course, that means redrawing panel and rivet lines (ie: create new layer on original bmp, draw them in, fade to match originals, save as psd, THEN save as bmp). I've done it, and it ain't that hard.

Take a look at the "artois" skin for the IIIE, it's a natural metal with the stripes painted on the rudder.

The manufacture's markings are on ALL TMFs mirage skins* ... take another look at the "artois" skin mentioned above.

EDIT: correction, all the Natural Metal skins have the markings. Some camo's don't.

You REALLY are making things WAAAAAYYYYY to hard for yourself!!

HINT: all TMF mirages are pretty much mappped identically. Small differences? Sure. But nothing that can't be overcome with mulitple layers and the eraser tool. And a rename

wrench

kevin stein

Edited by Wrench

You're right, TMF Mirages including the Nesher, and the Mirage5BA are mapped the same way, and are compatible with the skins, but I want to learn to create the skins for myself without annoying anyone. For example I can use a template to create the rudder flag, but it seems there is not a "real" template for default WOI Mirages, so I should build one, a thing that I have no idea of how to do it. Thats why I'm trying to use the decals to get a similar effect.

I would not use the rotation value for this flage

I would create the decal showing the flag as it is....

OK, now you're just confusing the issue....

but it seems there is not a "real" template for default WOI Mirages

Aren't you using the TMF version?? What does WoI's IIICJ's have to do with this??? If you're doing it that way, perhaps extracting the MirIII skins from SF2:E would be more to the point, as 3rdWire stuff is ALSO pretty much mapped identically. Albeit you can't use the aircraft LOD in 1stGen sims....

here's the rudder flag, taken right off the 'artios' skin. Took me less than a minute to pull it off the skin bmp. Convert it to a decal, have your facing LEFT and RIGHT for the respective sides, and that should work. Even has the rivet and panel lines already in.

wrench

kevin stein

Kevin can you please upload it or send it as a decal? :clapping: Will try it that way, If not I will have to purchase WOE2, but I don't see the point of doing it as I'm on WinXP and think that 2nd gen sims improvcements are visible on Vista/Win7 only. :boredom:

Kevin can you please upload it or send it as a decal? :clapping: Will try it that way, If not I will have to purchase WOE2, but I don't see the point of doing it as I'm on WinXP and think that 2nd gen sims improvcements are visible on Vista/Win7 only. :boredom:

That's not entirely true. SF2E is still running in DX9 which you have. It's only if you merge it with SF2I you will have full DX10 support. Besides that you'll get more Aircrafts or at least more versions of the exsisting aircrafts.

and graphics are better, even on XP

cockpits are really improved

take care if using that file as provided here above to make decals

I mean, you'll need two different for left and right, as there is text on it and colors don't turn with facing, blue is always facing towards leading edge with red going trailing edge (reverse from RAF)

EXACTLY my point!!! Thank you Sony!!!

Although, as a decal on each rudder side, it SHOULD work with the lettering being correct. I know on the skin bmp, the lettering is reversed, as it "wraps" from (i think this may be corrct), from the inside out. The decal, sitting on top of skin, should be ok, with right/left facing. I don't have time to test this in actuality, but others I've done worked on (albeit not on Mirages).

Of course, a 'horizontal flip' may keep the lettering readable...again, haven't tested.

oh, and while I have you here, I've got 2 or 3 TMF Mirage/Kfir mods I've been working on for Central America; just want to know that whenever I get finished with them, I can upload the entire aircraft, lod, cockpit and all???. Thanks!

Stratos:

Just reuse the pre-exiting skin!! You also need to make up your mind WHICH Mirage you're building this off...obviously it's for 1st Gen, so for fraks sake, USE what's already available. You can't go wrong with TMF Products, so save your money.

The red striping (nose/wings/whatevers) you seem to be looking for is avaliable not only on the 'artios' skin but the 'alpes', from the original release.

You just have to look around, all your answers are in front of you.

It's called "repurposing", and nobody seems to mind (well, expect maybe Stiglr, and he aint around no more)

Download and read TK Decals Creation Turorial; it's here somplace, probbaly in the 'utilities' section, or 3rdWire site.

spend some time a SimmersPaintShop, read their skinning tuts, expecially for rivet/panel line creation

I can do no more than point you in the right direction, and get you started

wrench

kevin stein