Sign in to follow this  
Wrench

One day the sky will be full of them.....

Just some mods I'm trying to finish off, after languishing for over 2 1/2 years....

Upgrading the orignal to a production "A" variant for later 40s/Korea, new D model (seen here), EB-49C Elint/SigInt/AWAC variant (still being worked on -no screenie yet). And of course, the RAF Viking Mk3 ("the other V-Bomber), also being reworked

these are of the D model, circa 1961 in natual metal/anti-flash white, and then is SouthEast Asia, circa 1966. Don't know why that one is off centered... The fin is the ONLY place to put the damn SAC badge! You can see the upper/mid and lower center turrets have been removed, and that odd looking thing on top is a decal representing the A/R slipway doors. Only way to make it work.

SAC is BACK!! At least in Jack Northrop's "What If...Flying Wing World"

wrench

kevin stein

Edited by Wrench

Guest Tazkiller

Man they are sweet!!!!!!

D model, circa 1961 in natual metal/anti-flash white, and then is SouthEast Asia, circa 1966.

You gonna upgrade the engines for 1960s. J-85 maybe a tad small?

Its not too great a fantasy, if restricted to recon only. I doubt they can hit any targets. I'm gonna use em. They hacked up a half dozen RF-100A long range recon because they were desperate to find out what was doing in USSR, before U-2. I figure if SAC launches strikes in late 1947, they can't find much, so in 1948 they will ship a few -- very expensive -- "RB-35" prototypes to Korea or India or Norway. Same with "RB-49" (used as recon) a year later. Neither will be built in any number at all, only a half dozen maybe, but it is what it is. The other option is Republic R-12 but maybe make this a campaign variable. The other variable is just lots and lots of RB-29s, or a combination of these campaign possibilities.

The "A" model is pretty much as the DAT released it, FM and engine-wise, with the J35s. It mostly gets new decals, adjusted loadouts (moved the bombays around so they show as seperate dots on the loadout screen, from right to left, as opposed to up/down), added seats for ALL versions, removed the bomb aimer figure, as he was sticking through the canopy -ie: use the fakepilot figure.

The "D" gets J57s like the BUFF. Other tweeks to the bomb bays 'cheat' the length/width statements to allow M-117s to load. If you look at the bays when dropping, there's a little bit of clipping, due to the bombs being longer than the bays themselves. These small, WW2 style bays would have been a real issue on the Real Aircraft ™ as well. So I cheated a little.

I"m not really happy with the center external pylon, but it does give some more convention bombs; just need to find a Hounddog for testing to see if THAT fits under when sitting on the ground.

The only other issue I'm having is my home-grown Mk.13A 30kt nuke, using the WW2 2000# shape. Assuming these short bays on produciton A models, I 'forced' the folks at Sandia to create a smaller bomb to fit, in difference to those as carried by the B-29/B-50 and B-36s; which were HUGE even for fission devices.

But the damn nuke effect isn't working!!! So I know I did something wrong there. Probably releae 'as is', and let a real Weaponeer fix it!

wrench

kevin stein