Sign in to follow this  
Tuba2

Cachya for head tracking?

I don’t want to be charged with heresy, but TrackIR is a little expensive for retired folk. Has anyone had any experience with a program called Cachya that uses just an inexpensive web camera?

I see Von Paulus mentioned it in a Sept. post but it doesn't seem there is any follow up either positive of negative.

Burn the heretic!

:biggrin:

Naw, seriously, I have no idea....I'd be curious because it would be one less thing I have to worry about carrying...

FC

Tuba, ask Rickitycrate - he experimented with FreeTrack, which also just needs a webcam.

But my advice is: sell your grandma!

No, but Xmas is coming - tell all the family, that you only want this as a present,

bought together. Or see, what you can do to get 150,- Dollar together - you will receive

the real feeling and never regret it, once you got used to it!

It's acomponent you can use with many sims, it will last.

Edited by Olham

Freetrack is the way to go.

Unfortunately I didn't tried with OFF. I tried with ROF before I had OFF.

But I didn't like it at the time. Maybe I didn't configured it well or I was just getting an excuse for myself in order to buy TrackIR.

But you can always try it with the Demo with just one axis or jump straight to Freetrack which is a good cheap solution (I heard) for TrackIR.

Look into Ebay now and then - I found a dealer in the USA, who sells TrackIR 4 for 66,- Dollar,

which is great! And you can just download and use the TrackIR5 software with it.

Works for me.

Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.de/NEW-TrackIR-4-Pro-Head-Mouse-for-6DOF-Virtual-Realty_W0QQitemZ160383954767QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVideo_Games_Accessories?hash=item2557a0ef4f

Freetrack is a good alternative to TIR. I got very close to trying Freetrack but then a very good, kind and noble soul passed a TIR my way and I am forever grateful. I'm on a very tight budget too. Unlike joysticks TIR's are not to be found at thrift shops. Right now I am flying with a new in the box $20 X52 and my backup is a $10 X45. I am on the hunt for a set of pedals and I do believe the day will come. I did find a set of Thrustmaster pedals but they need a gameport and my pc won't recognize them with the adaptor. Old technology.

Freetrack is a good alternative to TIR. I got very close to trying Freetrack but then a very good, kind and noble soul passed a TIR my way and I am forever grateful. I'm on a very tight budget too. Unlike joysticks TIR's are not to be found at thrift shops. Right now I am flying with a new in the box $20 X52 and my backup is a $10 X45. I am on the hunt for a set of pedals and I do believe the day will come. I did find a set of Thrustmaster pedals but they need a gameport and my pc won't recognize them with the adaptor. Old technology.

They are some adapters that convert gameport signal to USB.  

BTW there is also Freelook and a shooter tracking system "glovepy" or something, but Freetrack seems to be the best for Combat fly sims, I'm still in the start phase to install it, but until now I can recommendent you to use the Bluetooth/Wii combination and not the Camera system like I had first [MS-VX1000]. 

Do a search here and at a CFS3 forum like Simouthouse lot of info can be found.  

:dntknw: I don't think I ever said "Thanks" for all the input on the FreeTrack vs. TrackIR. Olham, since Santa did not find the cash due to the economy, I am still working on this problem but considering your suggestion about the kidney.

Many thanks to all

Jim :ok:

dntknw.gif I don't think I ever said "Thanks" for all the input on the FreeTrack vs. TrackIR. Olham, since Santa did not find the cash due to the economy, I am still working on this problem but considering your suggestion about the kidney.

Many thanks to all

Jim ok.gif

Jim,

Just thinking out loud here, but instead of assembling the leds, would it be possible to use a TrackClip Pro? You'd have to mount it on headphones (or some type of headband), but I bet the webcam would pick up the lights just fine. It's USB powered, so no need for batteries.

If you're interested, PM me and I'll be happy to ship you my TrackClip Pro.

Hey GaryR is selling a Track IR 3 for $60 in the odds and end section of Combact Ace.

GB

Freetrack works and it´s easy to build, I swear!! Yes, I´m a non North American!! :-))  But I know nothing about the bluetooth/Wii combo, I thought it´s not yet supported. Anybody knows how it works??

Anastasios.

Hey GaryR is selling a Track IR 3 for $60 in the odds and end section of Combact Ace.

GB

For a fellow retired guy and OFF addict I will sell it for $50 shipped (in continental US)... Comes with Baseball Hat and the Vector Expansion license, works perfectly. I'm upgrading to TIR 5 with clip or I would never sell it!

Edited by GaryR

Freetrack works and it´s easy to build, I swear!! Yes, I´m a non North American!! :-))  But I know nothing about the bluetooth/Wii combo, I thought it´s not yet supported. Anybody knows how it works??

Anastasios.

Yes combination bluetooth adapter (mine is a Sitecom CN516) and the Wii mode is working much better then a MS VX1000 webcam (I even had removed the IRfilter, but still facing stutters and signal losses).

It is very important to get the recommendated  OSRAM/Siemens IR LEDs   :idea:   use the right Bluetooth adapter and a original Wii mode but all that info is on the freetrack forum.    :salute:

Edited by Dutch_P47M

TrackIR 5 Pro at American AMAZON for 120,- Dollar

http://www.amazon.co...63550156&sr=8-2

If you REALLY love flying WW1 air combat - OFF of course - you can't do anything wrong.

Sell a kid or your granny,

job in the supermarket,

Don't eat out for three months,

Don't order pizzas or other junk for a while -

whatever you must do to get it - DO IT! The experience is, after a short time of getting used to it -

like REAL FLYING; you ARE the pilot in the cockpit, and you look around and down at the world

beneath - the closest you can get to flying!

:heat:

Edited by Olham

And what´s the budget for all these, I mean the bluetooth adapter and Wii. Should be a three LED arrangement? Lots of questions, isn´t it? But thanks in advance!!

Anastasios.

Go to conrad.de for all the parts and the freetrack forum for additional info.  

If you are not that handy, do not go for Freetrack but get Oldhams solution TrackIR#4 or the newest #5 get also the clip. There must be some websites were you can check for the lowest prices at the German shops. 

Maybe something cheaper  Hattrack  or review at review

Check also the TrackIR5 price its Euro 174,-- for the complete set, not TAX or strange US shipping costs.  TrackIR4 129,-- and TrackIR5 150,-- but these does not have the additional clip.  

Edited by Dutch_P47M