Sign in to follow this  
Bullethead

Snow on the Bayou AGAIN

Here we see Schloss Geschosskopf as of about 0700 local time this morning, after last night's snow. Has anybody else this far south gotten snow yet this year, prior to this storm?

This is the 3rd year in a row it's snowed here, which has to be a post-Little Ice Age record. When I was young, it only snowed about once every 10-15 years, and when my parents were young in the 1930s, they used to grow oranges commercially in these parts, but all my life it's been too cold for them for too much of the year. Orange-growers have long since moved to Florida, which sticks down much further south. The summers here have also been getting cooler over the years, rarely reaching 100^F anymore when that used to be common.

Make of this what you will.

Here we see Schloss Geschosskopf as of about 0700 local time this morning, after last night's snow. Has anybody else this far south gotten snow yet this year, prior to this storm?

This is the 3rd year in a row it's snowed here, which has to be a post-Little Ice Age record. When I was young, it only snowed about once every 10-15 years, and when my parents were young in the 1930s, they used to grow oranges commercially in these parts, but all my life it's been too cold for them for too much of the year. Orange-growers have long since moved to Florida, which sticks down much further south. The summers here have also been getting cooler over the years, rarely reaching 100^F anymore when that used to be common.

Make of this what you will.

Snow??? Wow... not that far south, ever. I know SC and GA get Ice Storms, but snow? No way... never heard of it.

Nice house by the way... :)

OvS

very nice house BH good.gif .

i can't help, it reminds me of something...

good night john boy

good night elizabeth

good night everybody

good night mum'n dad...

grin.gif .

Ah, snow! I'd instantly feel myself at home there with all that white stuff, though I've used seeing much more of it.

Bullet, you're going to have to buy yourself a pair of skis if the global warming in your area continues like that. Skiing is a very nice hobby and helps to keep my old joints in good condition. :grin:

Won't Al Gore and his kind, be at loss for words over this one . . . . . .oops ! Wrong Forumgrin.gif

Remember uncleal, it's not "GW" anymore, it's "Climate Change". To be "p.c." that is. Yeah right, and that from the guy who's probably the least p.c. in the world. I hate pc c**p.

Sorry, sorry, wrong place, sorry.

monty_1495378c1.jpg

Actually BH, you've got more snow so far than I've seen up here in Mich. And I'm right even with the southern end of Lake Huron by the St. Claire River. But it's been a cool summer here too. Only 4 days were miserably muggy. But I could at least take my boat out on the lake where it cooled nicely during the day compared to being inland.

Edited by ConradB

Thanks for the compliments on the house.

i can't help, it reminds me of something...

good night john boy

good night elizabeth

good night everybody

good night mum'n dad...

grin.gif .

Well, it was intended to look that old, but it really isn't. See that 1-story wing on the left side, with the bay window visible abvoe the front steps? That's actually the oldest part, built by my mother's parents in 1963 after the old house burned. It actually looks its age. The bay window is where its front door used to be. The bigger 2-story part is only about 18 years old now, but looks kinda like the original house. The long-gone original house was built in the 1870s. But the land under them all has been in the family since since the King of Spain gave it to my 4x great-grandpappy back in the late 1700s.

Actually BH, you've got more snow so far than I've seen up here in Mich. And I'm right even with the southern end of Lake Huron by the St. Claire River. But it's been a cool summer here too. Only 4 days were miserably muggy. But I could at least take my boat out on the lake where it cooled nicely during the day compared to being inland.

Amazing. But don't worry, I'm sure you'll be snowed under in due time. Up there between the lakes, there's no escape. DAMN. Until I started driving 18-wheelers, I'd just heard rumors of "lake effect snow", but had shrugged it off thinking that was just something they said to avoid mentioning the obvious fact that living up north means you're practically on tundra, as opposed to living in Gawd's Country further south. Then I had to drive up there a lot in winter. I also got caught by blizzards in the Rockies a few times, but that's got nothing on lake effect snow. Geez! I don't see how any of you yankees stand it.

BTW, we only got about 1.75" out of the thing last night, and it's all gone now except in a few shady spots.

I saw some powder,,,wheres the snow your talking about?????

hahahahahaha...rotfl.

Before my Dad retired in '65, the longest time I'd ever lived in any one place, apprx 6yrs, was at Westover A.F.B., just outside of Chicopee, MA.

Hey S_D. If I remember correctly, that's a "dusting".

plug_nickel (Al)

Snow??? Wow... not that far south, ever. I know SC and GA get Ice Storms, but snow? No way... never heard of it.

OvS

Google Atlanta Snow Storm 1993. Mid March, 1993, "we" had what is commonly known up in the N.E as a nor-easter here in GA. My wife and I were living in the Braswell Mtn. area at that time; about 35-40 miles W.N.W. of where we are now. The blizzard dumped 4ft of snow where we were. Good sledding, skiing, snow ballin' hard pack type of snow. If I hadn't had the flu at the time, I would have really enjoyed it.

plug_nickel (Al)

Yeah, my meth lab exploded, too, but there's really some snow under there :).

Seriously, ANY snow at all used to be a rarety here, and getting any to stick more than a few minutes was even rarer. This was a LOT of snow for this part of the world, and it lasted a long time.

Yeah, my meth lab exploded, too, but there's really some snow under there :).

ROFLMAO!!

Almccoyjr...i know the pic on my avater is small,,,but you should recognize it...thats 91 north on the left...and at the top you can see rt 9 intersecting it...thats northampton in the background, and the conneticut river underneath me. Its from Skinner Mt.

That friggin AFB is what stop us from being able to go over the top when we flew there,,,restricted airspace behing the mt.

That same storm dropped snow in Texas.

It's all relative. Early February '73, I believe it was, it snowed in San Antonio. Only stuck to the grass, and only an inch or so at that. But I and the 48 other members of my basic training flight who were from north of the mason-Dixon line and grew up with several inches to several feet of snow per year were absolutely amazed ( and laughing hysterically) at the radio reports of traffic vitually brought to a standstill by the weather. To us it would have barely been an inconvenience, but to people who had never seen or driven in it, it was a disaster.

Almccoyjr...i know the pic on my avater is small,,,but you should recognize it...thats 91 north on the left...and at the top you can see rt 9 intersecting it...thats northampton in the background, and the conneticut river underneath me. Its from Skinner Mt.

That friggin AFB is what stop us from being able to go over the top when we flew there,,,restricted airspace behing the mt.

I went into your profile to take a better look at the pic; son of a gun. It's been so long since I've "seen" the area, I had to go to Google maps.

I miss the first snow fall; but God not the rest that followed. I hated chopping the ice around the car tires.

plug_nickel (Al)

Very nice house Bullethead. Who would think that there is a guy in there flying WWI airplanes and enjoying himself so much. You never know what's going on just down the street. :grin:

I remember we had a foot of snow back in 1989 along the coast of SC when we were living there...right after Hugo had ripped us a new one. I think it was suppose to be the only white Christmas on record for Charleston, SC.

We had snow today...in Etowah, NC

Hey, Bullethead, that looks big enough for two whole families. Or an Indian tribe, maybe.

Must be nice to inherit such a big home. Although, all the cleaning work...

thats 91 north on the left...

I thought 90 North was as far up there as you could go?

LOL!!

Duck is right... us Northern boys are used to the white stuff. One year I swear I was shoveling my driveway out every other day.

What does that picture of the Monty Pythons mean? They all look like little Adolfs???

With bricks? Don't know that episode.

LOL!!

Duck is right... us Northern boys are used to the white stuff. One year I swear I was shoveling my driveway out every other day.

Ah yes, 1994 ...my shoulders hurt just thinking about it

At the time, the house I lived in had two 2 car wide driveways

Shovel a foot of snow 1 day then wake up the next morning and there's another foot lying there ...ouch! blink.gif

Next year I bought a snowblower

btw. Nice house Bullet!

Thanks for the compliments on the house.

Well, it was intended to look that old, but it really isn't. See that 1-story wing on the left side, with the bay window visible abvoe the front steps? That's actually the oldest part, built by my mother's parents in 1963 after the old house burned. It actually looks its age. The bay window is where its front door used to be. The bigger 2-story part is only about 18 years old now, but looks kinda like the original house. The long-gone original house was built in the 1870s. But the land under them all has been in the family since since the King of Spain gave it to my 4x great-grandpappy back in the late 1700s.

Amazing. But don't worry, I'm sure you'll be snowed under in due time. Up there between the lakes, there's no escape. DAMN. Until I started driving 18-wheelers, I'd just heard rumors of "lake effect snow", but had shrugged it off thinking that was just something they said to avoid mentioning the obvious fact that living up north means you're practically on tundra, as opposed to living in Gawd's Country further south. Then I had to drive up there a lot in winter. I also got caught by blizzards in the Rockies a few times, but that's got nothing on lake effect snow. Geez! I don't see how any of you yankees stand it.

BTW, we only got about 1.75" out of the thing last night, and it's all gone now except in a few shady spots.

I worked for BFI in Denver, and was a Mtn Driver. Nothing funnier than to have both drive axle tires plus the steer tires chained up for the snow and ice, park at a customer's driveway, and as you throw the bags in the hopper in the back, the truck slides down the road all by it's lonesome! Or if you're familiar with I-70 west out of Denver, before you get to Idaho Springs, Floyd Hill to left had a road carved right on the mountain side. During the Spring of '95 or '96, we had a bunch of wet heavy snow, and rain for 3 weeks solid, and the dirt roads were a mess, and I was up on that road comin' out of the last neighborhood up there, when the road colapsed under the back end of the truck. Luckily the backend caught the rock, as it was a good 1,000 to 1,500 ft. to the bottom. But heading down Genessee Hill into Denver on I-70 was always interesting, as there was always the 18 wheeler who didn't pay attention to the signs that said Steep Grades And Sharp Turns Next 11 Miles. They would fly past me down the hill, and usually they would be pulled over at the bottom at the Morrison Exit with their fire extinguishers in hand. Wheels smokin', and from time to time, they would even catch fire from over braking. But when it got icy, it could get downright dangerous. There were times that hill was like a slalom track with jack-knifed rigs. Up in the hills in the winter, getting stuck in the ditch was a regular occurrance. Everybody got stuck at one time or another.

Now,,this is what we call snow....

gallery_45808_317_18876.jpg

And is that who we call Sitting Duck?

Now,,this is what we call snow....

gallery_45808_317_18876.jpg

Now that's what I'm talking about!

Fond memories because I don't have to shovel that stuff anymore.

Pleasure to "meet" you.

plug nickel (Al)