Sign in to follow this  
Lt. James Cater

Unauthorized...

This is inspired by firehawkordy's post in the "You're Not Cool" blog.

Ever use things that would really upset someone in some deskbound department that absolutly insists that you have the right gear?

In my Cav unit in NJ National Guard, we prefered Easy Off oven cleaner for the main gun on our tanks. Not only did it work a whole lot better than what the Army issued us, but it also left the turret with a nice lemony smell!

Where in NJ were you based?

We used to use mop and glo on the floor of the barracks because it went on easier and was better looking than the issues USAF wax.

We used Lemon Pledge furniture polish on the windscreens of all of our helos. It worked so much better than that crappy white liquid and gauze combo they insisted we must use.

I work in IT, and there are some software programs that would make our jobs 10x easier and websites with resources that would make it 50x easier...we're not allowed access to either because they're "not authorized". Instead, we either should simply explain to the user they're screwed and wipe and reload the system or make them keep using it broke.

I work in IT, and there are some software programs that would make our jobs 10x easier and websites with resources that would make it 50x easier...we're not allowed access to either because they're "not authorized". Instead, we either should simply explain to the user they're screwed and wipe and reload the system or make them keep using it broke.

Ever so familiar with that! I've become the unofficial IT person at the office because (can't, won't, don't want to) DoIT are either useless, take forever or you lose all your work.

:salute: Gosh yes...Break free instead of the crap CLP they issue for weapons. Mop and glow, brake cleaner for carbonized MGs. Lots of stuff

Tornado radome paint worked well for making parade shoe toecaps well protected and shiny when I was in Air Cadets. Also, Grolsch beer bottle rubber seals are great as guitar strap locks.

at the fighter adversary squadron, with no radars, they bolted rifle scopes into the cockpit and wired in fuzz-buster radar detectors. Worked so well that the fighter squadrons, still waiting for the then-mythical TCS, ALL bolted rifle scopes into the cockpits.

We used Lemon Pledge furniture polish on the windscreens of all of our helos. It worked so much better than that crappy white liquid and gauze combo they insisted we must use.

Lemon Pledge also works well to polish the clear eisenglass spray curtains on power boats.