Sign in to follow this  
shredward

High in the Empty Blue

Wow, must be a rare one? If I was flying British side, I might bite at that price.

Looks like a very detailed history with good pictures - like a must-have for the

WW1 historians and collectors.

Me personally, I would save the money for the next four OFF Add-ons. :grin:

On my wish list.

It's the history of 56 squadron, the most successful British Squadron in WW1, with 427 kills. (Jasta 11, by comparison had 350 kills, although

Jasta 11 lost only 17 pilots compared to 56 Sqd losing 40).

It is out of print, but I can still buy it for £80. Badly tempted, but need to get all the Xmas bonuses and holiday pay sorted out and see what's left in the kitty for my own Christmas.....

Edited by Flyby PC

Remember the pilots for the top Jastas were specially selected and mostly aces. The Brits did not want to concentrate all their best pilots in one or two squadrons because of the morale effect it would have on the others. So rookie pilots were posted to all squadrons, 56 included.

This is an outstanding read and would be a great one to have on the WWI book shelf. You can find copies fairly often at the online old book shops but they are always $80 or more. It is one of the items on the list I gave to Santa. :smile:

$90!?!? I think I paid $50 for it about 5 years ago. Still, I wouldn't take $90 for it. I like my books.

Just ordered this second-hand book at AMAZON for 15,- Euro:

Jagdflieger im Feuer

Kriegserlebnisse eines Kampf- und Jagdfliegers beim Jagdgeschwader III Jagdstaffel Boelcke u. a.

(H. F. Kurt Jentsch)

Does anyone know this book? I looked up the name at the aerodrome, and he was a Jagdflieger

with 7 victories.

The problem with German books about WW1 fighter pilots is often, that they where released in

the early Nazi years, and might be "coloured" by propaganda.

So if anyone read it, please tell, how it is.