Sign in to follow this  
Fubar512

My First Brand New Car

While digging through some boxes in a closet, I came across this faded and well-worn 35 mm print, of my first brand new car, a 1979 Mustang Cobra that I purchased in March of that year. It sported a 5 liter V8, churning a C-4 three-speed automatic transmission, which in turn spun a 2.47:1 gear set. It was equipped with air conditioning, cruise-control, am/fm/cassette stereo (with the optional 25-watt premium sound system), and like all Cobras of that era, its suspension was built around the Michelin TRX tire and wheel package. The wheels were unique to the TRX tire package, with non-standard 390 mm diameter rims. I paid a whopping $6,700 for it....that translates to about 22K in 2009 dollars. :yikes:

It was the first year of the Fox-bodied Mustangs, and as with any 1st year models, it had more than its share of problems....the hatch would not hold an adjustment, the fuel tank held a piddly 11 US gallons, and the inside door latches were located on the lower part of the door panels, mere inches from the floor! 3 years later, I traded that car in for a 1982 Mustang GT, and was tickled pink to see that they'd rectified all those issues by then.

The pic was taken at Liberty State Park, in Jersey City, NJ, on or near the former site of Black Tom Island (an interesting bit of history took place there http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Tom_explosion ).

Also, notice the backdrop :( For those of you familiar with NYC, you'll note that the Battery Park City complex, and the artificial "peninsula" that it is built on, wasn't around yet. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battery_Park_City

BTW, if you're wondering, yes, I did retouch the image, as the colors in the print had become bleached out over the last 30 years.

79StangCobra.jpg

Outstanding pic Fubar...I remember that model very well.

FC