Sign in to follow this  
ONETINSOLDIER

68 years

Wow....

On Pearl Harbor day in 1981, I recall having a conversation with a co-worker (who's since passed away :salute: ), who'd been stationed at Hickam field during the attack. He replied "Has it really been 40 years? Sure doesn't seem like it..."

For my part, I refuse to believe that conversation took place 28 years ago!

It was almost 20 years ago (1991? 1992?) I met the naval officer who was in charge of the USS Nevada and made the decision to beach her during the attack. The captain wasn't aboard at the time, and didn't get there till after the attack ended. He was in his 80s at the time, so I'm sure he's long gone now. His part was in Tora, Tora, Tora, briefly seen as they decide to beach it when it looks like they'll sink in the channel.

I can't remember his name now...I think it was Tomlinson? He was called "Tommy", but I'm not sure if that was his real first name or merely a nickname based on his last.

The opening scene for years of unspeakable horrors for millions of people, including my parents and brothers and sister.....

Derk Salute.gif

Salute.gif