Sign in to follow this  
carrick58

Rear Seater Ammo

blink.gif As I was playing the bomber role in Sig s DID campagin, I started to wonder when my backseater

would run out of ammo. This of course bags the question? 1. How much? 2. Were different amounts carried

in different a/c? How many Drums ? The Lewis normally had 47 Rds in a signal drum,but what of the german Parabellum used on the german bombers? The main concern for researchers should the a/c in the DID en-

virorment. this.gif Just wondering? drinks.gifbye.gif Ref: for the Lewis Gun is" Flying Fury" mcCudden s Book.

To see how much ammo the gunner has, use F8 to jump into that seat and then F5 to bring up the HUD. Just as in the pilot's seat, the text block for the HUD says how much ammo the gunner has left.

I'm too lazy to go look myself, so I leave that to you grin.gif . But be aware that you're not supposed to use the HUD in the DiD campaign. I suppose it's no harm to check on the ground to see how much you have to start with, but using it flight probably isn't cricket. I don't think the crewmen could talk to each other, and could only communicate by nudges and gestures if they sat close enough to touch.

To see how much ammo the gunner has, use F8 to jump into that seat and then F5 to bring up the HUD. Just as in the pilot's seat, the text block for the HUD says how much ammo the gunner has left.

I'm too lazy to go look myself, so I leave that to you grin.gif . But be aware that you're not supposed to use the HUD in the DiD campaign. I suppose it's no harm to check on the ground to see how much you have to start with, but using it flight probably isn't cricket. I don't think the crewmen could talk to each other, and could only communicate by nudges and gestures if they sat close enough to touch.

mmmmm Cool I will just set up a different Campagin for German bombers and punch it up. , But I dont think it would answere he question as to how many drums they carried in a Hannover. Thanks Bullethead

mmmmm Cool I will just set up a different Campagin for German bombers and punch it up. , But I dont think it would answere he question as to how many drums they carried in a Hannover. Thanks Bullethead

To determine how many drums were carried in real life, look in the game to see how many rounds you have in total. Then divide that by the number of rounds per drum and you'll have the answer. When OBD set the planes up, they did this in reverse because the underlying engine doesn't allow for changing drums.

drinks.gif My addition might be off, But the Lewis mounted on a N-17 shows 291 Rds = 6 Drums of 47 Rds and some left over signal bullets ( 291 - 6x 47) 9 Rds. So I guess Mc Cudden was wrong or he had non-standard Drums.

drinks.gif My addition might be off, But the Lewis mounted on a N-17 shows 291 Rds = 6 Drums of 47 Rds and some left over signal bullets ( 291 - 6x 47) 9 Rds. So I guess Mc Cudden was wrong or he had non-standard Drums.

But it's exactly 3x 97-round drums cool.gif .

drinks.gif As always U were spot on, The lewis as used for a/c did indeed have the 47 Rd drum and the 97 Rd drum one was even fitted to a Wright Flyer It may very well be that it was a weight = drag thingy on the a/c so some pilots chosed the lighter pan 47 drum mag. Well on to the German ammo issue. ( Info was by internet)idea.gif

drinks.gif As always U were spot on, The lewis as used for a/c did indeed have the 47 Rd drum and the 97 Rd drum one was even fitted to a Wright Flyer It may very well be that it was a weight = drag thingy on the a/c so some pilots chosed the lighter pan 47 drum mag. Well on to the German ammo issue. ( Info was by internet)idea.gif

URL=http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&img=10935]gallery_50835_358_117528.jpg[/url]

I read somewhere that pilots (dunno about observers who have better access to the Lewis) preferred the 47 round drum as the 90+ drum was more liable for jams and misfeeds.

I read somewhere that pilots (dunno about observers who have better access to the Lewis) preferred the 47 round drum as the 90+ drum was more liable for jams and misfeeds.

IIRC, the IAF observers at least preferred the bigger mags.